Help...Strange Medicine Reaction..??

lv2scrap
lv2scrap Member Posts: 44
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My dad is a stage iv. He has been getting chemo for a long time. The last two times he's gone in he has reacted strangely to the meds. The first time he finished all his premeds and oxylaplatin and started to feel hot. He got shortness of breath, severe pain in his legs, shaking uncontrolably, very pale and blood pressure dropped. They gave him morphine & Ativan and rushed him to the Er. Two hours later he was okay. This time they decided to challenge him to see if he would react the same. They gave him a steroid and Zofran and he presented all the same symptoms again except this time the pain was in his back. It was so severe they gave him more steroids and demerol. Has anyone ever heard of such a reaction. I need help please.

Thank you,
Susan

Comments

• katienavs
    katienavs Member Posts: 88 Member
    i haven't had these exact reactions but during my sixth round of folfox i had a reaction where my blood pressure dropped and i got hot and i started to have itchy palms and head. no extreme pain though. they stopped the infusion and gave me benadryl and steroids.
    then i had to go in a week later and they did a skin test with the oxaliplatin to see if i would have a reaction. they injected some of the oxaliplatin under the skin in my forearm and watched for a reaction. i had to come back 48 hours later for them to look at it. maybe you could ask them if they suspect that drug to do a skin test.
    hope this helps.
    katie
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Hi I tried to send you an e-mail but it wouldn't go thru. I have a webpage and maybe what I have written might give you some support for a better direction. The way I dealt with Adenotcarcinoma of the cervix was to focus on Nutritional support for the body. I feel like alot of times we just need to know that there are other choices we can make for finding a positive process for our bodies. go to username and pullup my webpage to read. I hope this helps. I am glad to try and give support to those who are looking for directions/options!
  • lv2scrap
    lv2scrap Member Posts: 44
    katienavs said:

i haven't had these exact reactions but during my sixth round of folfox i had a reaction where my blood pressure dropped and i got hot and i started to have itchy palms and head. no extreme pain though. they stopped the infusion and gave me benadryl and steroids.
    then i had to go in a week later and they did a skin test with the oxaliplatin to see if i would have a reaction. they injected some of the oxaliplatin under the skin in my forearm and watched for a reaction. i had to come back 48 hours later for them to look at it. maybe you could ask them if they suspect that drug to do a skin test.
    hope this helps.
    katie

Sorry about the email. I am not sure what the problem is. I am still learning about this site. I just found to messages in my inbox but none form you. I will check your webpage.

Thank you,
    Susana
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    I experienced the very pale and low blood pressure followed by extreme nausea after my first treatment of FOLFIRI. Turned out to be the pre-meds, the steroid DECADRON to be specific. After they adjusted my pre-meds and stopped giving the steroids I had no more problems. So that is a possibility.
    Also, I have never been on Oxy, but I know people are allergic to it. Maybe, as adenosurvivor mentioned, he just needs a chemo break. Maybe his body is just saying, enough! Seems to be harder on elderly people anyway....
    I hope that helps,
    Susan
  • Limey
    Limey Member Posts: 446 Member
    Hi, I was on folfox and also had a reaction on the 5th or 6th infusion. my blood pressure dropped and I lost the ability to speak. Mine was easily resolved with premeds including benedryl. Your dads reaction seems different. Can you confront the oncologist as to what is going on? if the answer is not acceptable, get a 2nd opinion.
    good luck
    Mark