follow up tests and side effects

josie1952
josie1952 Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
hi, just got my first follow up CT and blood work and all came out as not showing cancer...YEAH!! but I'm having some side effects from the radiation and it sort of has me scared...the size of my bowel movements is like a small sausage, about half the size of pre-cancer treatment...and quite often I have loose stools...is this normal results of radiation treatments? don't know why but I'm scared to ask my doctor for fear he'll tell me the cancer has returned! survivors?? got any input to help me???

Comments

• rmap59
    rmap59 Member Posts: 266
    Hi Josie,
    So glad your CT and blood work came up clear. I had a lot of bowel problems during and after radiation so I think with time they will resolve but I always talked to either the nurses or the doctor about anything of concern, they expect it and are trained for it. Good Luck.

Robin
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Yup. Normal. Everywhere from rabbit pellets thru pencils thru the much-coveted 'playdough poo'. Radiation is still doing things up to a year afterward....give it time....I am 3 years post-dx, and I have 'normal' stool...even after losing all of my rectum and sigmoid colon...my 'new' rectum is made from my descending colon...

BTW....YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA!!!

NAKED HAPPY DANCE!!! (for the results).

Hugs, Kathi
  • JoyceCanada
    JoyceCanada Member Posts: 134
    KathiM said:

Yup. Normal. Everywhere from rabbit pellets thru pencils thru the much-coveted 'playdough poo'. Radiation is still doing things up to a year afterward....give it time....I am 3 years post-dx, and I have 'normal' stool...even after losing all of my rectum and sigmoid colon...my 'new' rectum is made from my descending colon...

BTW....YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA!!!

NAKED HAPPY DANCE!!! (for the results).

Hugs, Kathi

I will be 2 years post surgery in January 2008. Still have "issues" - my personal favourite is "baby poo". no warning!! I still have radiation burn on my "tail bone" where the skin is thin on my back area. I have tried everything to heal it and just when I think it is fine --- it starts all over again being very red and raw. I don't use TP just baby wipes, I do sitz baths but nearly 2 years out I'm still having discomfort. I'm going to Florida on Wednesday (3 days of sitting in the car) ---HELP!!!
  • jenalynet
    jenalynet Member Posts: 361 Member
    Hi,
    I'm happy to read that you received good results from your scan and blood work. It tok me a while until I got to where I am what I call normal for me. I think the foods we eat after surgery has a lot to do with how our bowel movements are. Warm thoughts your way, Audrey.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member

I will be 2 years post surgery in January 2008. Still have "issues" - my personal favourite is "baby poo". no warning!! I still have radiation burn on my "tail bone" where the skin is thin on my back area. I have tried everything to heal it and just when I think it is fine --- it starts all over again being very red and raw. I don't use TP just baby wipes, I do sitz baths but nearly 2 years out I'm still having discomfort. I'm going to Florida on Wednesday (3 days of sitting in the car) ---HELP!!!

OK...DON'T laugh....well, if you must....

My tailbone was directly involved, as you may remember (darn tumor was laying against it...lol...of course, that introduced me to the MAJOR drugs....mmmmm....)
    Get yourself a horseshoe (U) shaped pillow. NOT a round one like old suckers use....Put the open part to the back of the seat. This way, you are not actually sitting on your tailbone....I had one of these in my car (and even took it places..lol) for the first year post-surgery....IT WORKS!!!

As far as the other....a few suggestions. Have you tried aloe vera gel? (I can't use it, I'm one of 2 people on the PLANET allergic to aloe...sigh)I have some patient partners that swear by it...

Since I had to find something else....Aquaphor, A and D ointment (baby isle-NOT the cream), alternate (otherwise you end up with a MESS...picture a greased and floured cake pan...rofl) with good old cornstarch....

I, 2 years later, have NO troubles any more at all...although, on my new car I got heated seats...and every once in a while (Southern Ca here) I turn it on....it feels sooooooo goood!

Hugs, Kathi