Swing and a miss: Blood cell counts low

lindachris
lindachris Member Posts: 173
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
My wife Linda and I trekked for a scheduled chemo only to find out her red and white blood cell counts were low. WBC only 225 when they should be 1200+! She's on cisplatin and Gemzar of course. Doctors said it means the chemo is working and we'll try next week when her blood gets stronger. I confess I was expecting this because she's been "wheezy" with breathlessness for the last few days. There's a direct cause and effect on this chemo regimen, for sure. Any experience anyone has with this type of cycle would be appreciated. But she might secretly be relieved she'll feel like eating tomorrow, because she loves Thanksgiving. Her favorite holiday, she said. That said, Happy Thanksgiving to all. May you enjoy peace, improved health and God's blessings.

Comments

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Maybe this small 'break' will give your wife (and you) a chance to catch a breath and gear up for the next chemo. I truly hope she will feel up to partaking in your Thanksgiving feast. May the Good Lord bless you both and keep you in perfect peace. His blessing are bountiful, as is His Love and Grace. May you know all this tomorrow and everyday!
    Hugs!
    Monika
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Happy Thanksgiving to you two. I think God gave you a vacation to enjoy the holidays! Peace and love. We are having a beautiful snow here in West Texas. ((((Hugs)))
  • floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    Hi,
    I agree that God gave you all a nice little vacation!!! I was on Gemzar alone, and I seemed to always get congested right after it. It also played with my blood counts, so sometimes I was getting Neulasta shots and then there were times I was getting Procrit shots. No matter though,I was able to complete 5 cycles and then had to stop, because of a super bad side effect called CHF (congestive heart failure)Good luck, I'll sending prayers and (((hugz))) to both of you....(((hugz)))...Joanne
  • lindachris
    lindachris Member Posts: 173
    floridajo said:

Hi,
    I agree that God gave you all a nice little vacation!!! I was on Gemzar alone, and I seemed to always get congested right after it. It also played with my blood counts, so sometimes I was getting Neulasta shots and then there were times I was getting Procrit shots. No matter though,I was able to complete 5 cycles and then had to stop, because of a super bad side effect called CHF (congestive heart failure)Good luck, I'll sending prayers and (((hugz))) to both of you....(((hugz)))...Joanne

I think you were all correct. God did give Linda a break for Thanksgiving! She was tuckered out though. And Linda had at least half her appetite. Tonight some very close friends had us over for "post-Thanksgiving" turkey. The gal who cooked is a home health care nurse who's dropped in to help Linda through some of the tough spots. What a resource. And she said "no church!" tomorrow for Linda during flu season with the low counts. We figure God will know where to find her. :-). Thanks for all your encouragement. We are getting a couple different shots (Neulasta included) to help with the counts.