Need some opinions

Options
floridajo
floridajo Member Posts: 480
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hello Ladies !!!
Recently I had a ct scan done and the results were a mixed bag. While the lungs showed a decrease in nodule and lymphnode size, the pelvis/abd showed something else. It stated that I had a accumulation of fluid in this area, more than what was seen in Feb.07, when they started me on Gemzar. The radiologist stated that he sees some areas highly suspicious for metastitic implants, but due to fluid can not see them clearly. Also my Onc is seeing me this Friday instead of 3 months like he oringinally thought. What should I do??? I'm thinking about asking for the fluid to be tested for cells and if it comes back positive for OVCA cells then asking for a restart of chemo...what do you all think??? I love and trust you all, and know that you'll not steer me wrong....((((hugz))) to all...Joanne

Comments

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Joanne:
    I know what you must be feeling right now. And I agree that testing the fluid would be a good idea. Only then will you truly know what you're dealing with. Do you have a good relationship with your doctor? Between the two of you, I'm sure you'll come to the best decision for you and your situation. Please let us know how it goes. And remember, it could very well be just fluid build-up, nothing more than that.
    Love and hugs and prayers,
    Monika
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I think, if in the same situation, I would ask for ALL options and see what the answer is before going to my specific request. Prayers and ((Hugs)) that this is just one of those fears that are"false expectations appearing real".
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Joanne,

Sometimes the fluid is from lymph nodes being removed. I would see what your Dr has to say and talk to him about having the fluid drained from your abdomen to check it out. What is your CA125?

I can't remember how many different chemos you've been on. Sometimes it just takes changing to another chemo that will destroy the cells that are causing the fluid to build up. So many options out there. I am sure your Dr will discuss them all with you. I will continue to pray for you and your medical team. Let us know how everything goes.

Hugs N Prayers Bonnie
  • kris43
    kris43 Member Posts: 275
    Options
    Joanne - I am so sorry to hear of this. Why is it always so many "what ifs or could be's" I would sit down and get my list of questions together and go over them one by one with the doctor. I do this every time I go in - because questions are in my mind constantly. I'd definitely want the fluid checked if nothing else - what can it hurt?

You are in my thoughts today. Please keep us posted. Hugs! Kris
  • floridajo
    Options
    mopar said:

Joanne:
    I know what you must be feeling right now. And I agree that testing the fluid would be a good idea. Only then will you truly know what you're dealing with. Do you have a good relationship with your doctor? Between the two of you, I'm sure you'll come to the best decision for you and your situation. Please let us know how it goes. And remember, it could very well be just fluid build-up, nothing more than that.
    Love and hugs and prayers,
    Monika

Mopar,
    Thank you for your advice,what type of fluid build-up could it be?? I think someone mentioned below it could be lymph fluid,and I would have to agree with that as I have lymphadema. Again thanks a million....(((hugz)))//Joanne
  • floridajo
    Options
    BonnieR said:

Joanne,

Sometimes the fluid is from lymph nodes being removed. I would see what your Dr has to say and talk to him about having the fluid drained from your abdomen to check it out. What is your CA125?

I can't remember how many different chemos you've been on. Sometimes it just takes changing to another chemo that will destroy the cells that are causing the fluid to build up. So many options out there. I am sure your Dr will discuss them all with you. I will continue to pray for you and your medical team. Let us know how everything goes.

Hugs N Prayers Bonnie

Bonnie,
    Thanks for answering me. My onc was going to have the fluid tested back in Feb.07, but since the ct scan showed disease progression and he started me on Gemzar, it never went any further. My ca-125 was 14 in June and now is 35.2, so I've had a slight increase, but my ca-125 isn't sensitive. I had a recurrence once and my ca-125 was 9. So far I have only been on 4 different chemo's, I know there are very many more out there for me to try. (((hugz)))..Joanne
  • floridajo
    Options
    To all my friends!!
    Thank you all so much for your responses, they mean alot to me. Today I'm in horrible pain, and my tummy is soooo distended. This is the 3rd time in 6 weeks, so thank God for pain pills and an appt. with my Onc!!!! ((((hugz)))...Joanne
  • Keelie
    Keelie Member Posts: 97
    Options
    floridajo said:

To all my friends!!
    Thank you all so much for your responses, they mean alot to me. Today I'm in horrible pain, and my tummy is soooo distended. This is the 3rd time in 6 weeks, so thank God for pain pills and an appt. with my Onc!!!! ((((hugz)))...Joanne

Hello Joanne, So sorry to hear that you are in pain. When do you see your ONC? Please let us know what you decide. I'm going in today for my third infusion in this round of treatments. I will get both Taxotere and Avastin today. I'm doing well so far, but am starting to feel fairly tired. I will be thinking about you and hoping that you will feel better tomorrow!!! With love and hugs, MM
  • lizper
    lizper Member Posts: 199
    Options
    Hi, I'm sorry you are having these confused ideas and feelings.. I would definetly aske for a fluid test just to be sure and go from there.. be frank and upfront with your Dr. remember you are a team you seek for your best interest. A big hug for you. Liz