My moms battle with Ovarian Cancer...

JodiPA
JodiPA Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hello we just found out during an annual pap smear that my mother has ovarian cancer...This is such a big shocl to us all and i just dont know what to do...i just take it day by day...They drained 6 liters of fluid from her belly...

3c = There are tumor growths larger than 2cm on the lining of the abdomen; the lymph nodes in the upper abdomen, groin or behind the womb contain cancer

They did take out her ovaries and tubes but couldn't do a complete hysterectomy due to her uterus being incased with cancer and being stuck to her bladder. So they are going to do chemo to shrink it then go back in and take the uterus out. They took out a 4-5 pd tumor off her abdominal wall and a piece of it off her liver too. They are putting in her port pick line tomorrow morning and that is used for med and her chemo so she doesn't have to be stuck every time. So now we just wait to see how she heals and responds to the chemo. She is strong and will win this battle and I will be there every step of the way with her. She was out of it after the surgery so she doesn't know what was done or what is going on but she is sure using her pain pump in which is good because this is the most sleep she has gotten all week. Thanks to you all for your words of encouragement and prayers. Please continue to pray we have a long road ahead of us.

Thanks,
Jodi

Comments

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Jodi:
    Please know that our thoughts and prayers AND support and here for you, your mom and family. There are so many encouraging stories to be heard here, and so many strong women who have fought this horrible disease more than once, some still fighting. Let us know how your mom is doing. And if she's up to it, she might like to visit this site and chat with everyone. There is so much we can share as survivors, caregivers, moms, etc. None of you are alone in this. We'll be waiting to hear from you again. Until then, love and hugs to hold you over!
    + Prayers,
    Monika
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Welcome to a great support group. We always are sad to have a new member but know that your mother and you have friends here that have a wealth of experience and compassion. I have only been battling OVC since March, but mine was also spread thru out and in several organs (liver included). I had four chemo treatments before they could do surgery and that shrunk my tumors by at least half in size. Now I have had the surgery and four more treatments and have been declared disease free..that is no noticable tumors and CA-125 blood test down from 2988 to 6. What is you mother's CA-125 reading? That is an important test that is done ofter for us. We love to watch it come down. She is blessed to have a daughter near. We will be praying that the chemo does it's job quickly. ((Hugs))
  • mccarty
    mccarty Member Posts: 13
    Jodi,
    I received your message. So sorry to hear about your Mom. Just tell her to fight! Do whatever her doctor recomends.
    I'll put your Mom on my prayer list.
    Love & hugs,
    Glenda
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Firstly Jodi good luck to your mom and i know what you are going through my mom has just gone in to remission now after stage 3 grade 4 and you should see her now, fighting fit. However we did have some help from a pharmacist friend of mine, he gave us complimentary medicines and a diet to follow which we stuck to religiously, it worked and my mom is so convinced by these thatshe stills takes them all now, i have begged him to tell the world about it and he eventually last week published www.cancerchemist.com, it is worth a look and i hope your mom pulls through. Hugs and kisses
  • floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    Hi Jodi PA,
    First let me say how sorry I am about your MOm, and welcome to this site. When she is feeling up to it,have her post. I'm sure she'll have many questions to ask. That is sooo weird that they found the Ovarian cancer with a pap smear, especially since Pap smears are not used in diagnosing Ovarian Cancer...contrary to what many people think.What other diangosing tests did they perform?? For me it started with the removal of the fluids, and then from there pathology reported seeing suspicious cells. Then a ca-125 and CT scan were done to complete the diangosis. We all have very differnt but similar symptom and tests that were done. We also all react differently to chemo..it's a very strange and nasty disease to have, but it can be beat down into submission ...which are my prayers for your Mom...Good luck and keep on posting...(((hugz)))..Joanne