Hospice and CA-125?

docvivi
docvivi Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
My mom has been fighting stage 4 ovca for last 1.5 yrs. Just stopped a 4th chemo agent after her oncologist figured it wasn't working based on no drop in CA-125 levels (currently in 200s). Her only manifestation at the moment is pleural effusion, for which she is getting a pleurodesis to stop the fluid from reaccumulating. So, if her CA-125 is stable and her pleural effusions are resolved, what is next??? She was referred to hospice, but she does not have pain, is able to get around and wants to live. Anyone have experience in this area?
Thanks!
Peace and healing light to all.

Comments

• groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    I hope someone will step in and let us know something about hospice. The only people I've known who have had hospice were not able to get around at all. A CA-125 in the 200s sounds pretty low to me, after I've heard women in our support group have it in the thousands (and still coming in for our meetings). I hope you'll both be able to sit down and talk with someone from the hospice, and figure things out from there.
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    I'm sorry I cannot offer any suggestions regarding hospice. My only experience was with my mother and her colon cancer. Her situation was a little different.

Your mother sounds strong and able to live life at this point. My doctor always speaks of 'quality of life'. If her symptoms, etc. can be managed with reasonable meds and she can function well, maybe hospice should be put on the back burner right now. There are many, many women here who have been dealing with this disease for years and are managing quite well. I hope they will post here for you and give you some good suggestions.
    Until then, hugs and prayers are coming your way. Keep us informed.
    Monika
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    I have a friend that just stopped chemo, she had been on chemo for 3 years and then had a bowel perforation, emergency surgery and is trying to get well so she can go home. She will not have hospice right away, but I think she will have some homecare for awhile. She was told her cancer is really spreading. I know others have started hospice and graduated out of hospice. The hospice providers evaluate if your mom would be ready for hospice or not.

Now I agree with groundeffect about he numbers sounding low. Does your mom want to stop treatments now?

Hopefully you get some help with your question from all the replies here. My mom was in hospice for 11 months. Wonderful people.

Hugs N Prayers Bonnie
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    CA-125 seems low to me, too. I started at 2988 when diagnosed and was up and about. I just suggest to gather all you facts from as many sources as you have available and let your mother make the best informed decision she can. I would always choose to be "getting around" over hospice for as long as possible, but each of us are individuals with different views. How great that your mother does not have any pain. I hope she can focus on her blessings with gratitude at this time. Keep us informed and we will keep her in our prayers.
  • paula2
    paula2 Member Posts: 162
    Hospice has a number of programs, perhaps its the volunteer service and not the medical aspect. Also, you can go in and out of hospice care, as needed. I attend a group at Hospice, for people with life-threatening illnesses. One lady has a ca125 in the thousands and attends more regularly than myself. Has her doctor tried hormone therapy? Tamoxifen dropped my numbers for a full 6 months...an anti estrogen that has it's own side effects, but the worst for me was insomnia. Doc gave it to me without an estrogen receptor test, so it may be worth a mention.

Good luck to your Mom. She is lucky to have you.