Starting treatment soon

Options
nanagrandma
nanagrandma Member Posts: 40
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I will be starting chemo and radiation in a week. I have had two surgeries since July. I have faith but am still a little nervous and scared.

Comments

• jerseysue
    jerseysue Member Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Of course you are nervous and scared you also need to be prepared. Make sure you have some food prepared because you may not feel like cooking. Make sure you have extra necessities around the house so you don't have to run out as much. If you have some support let them help you as much as they are willing. I'm hoping all will go well with you. You are in my thoughts.
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. It's normal to be nervous and scared. You'll receive much support here and be among friends. Take one day and one treatment at a time. Be sure to hydrate well . What chemo treatment regimen will you be on? Sending positive thoughts and prayers . Keep us posted and God Bless.

Diane
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Being afraid is very common at the beginning of chemo. It is really the fear of the unknown. Once you have done it a few times, you will settle into a routine and be able to help others with their fear. As the others said, hydrate and make a big pot of chicken soup and keep some in the freezer. Macaroni and cheese were favorites of mine or you may eat normally and have no trouble at all.
    Wishing you an uneventful journey through chemo, and that all of your cooties are gone at the end of the trip. Keep us informed about how you are doing.
    Jo Ann
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't be normal if you weren't a bit anxious! As has been said, after a few, it becomes a routine.

Scalloped potatoes. That was my fav. Always baked before infusion, didn't feel much like it during. Water, water, water, water....I had to use the restroom numerous times during infusion...BUT, after 2 full rounds of chemo (one for rectal, one for breast), I have NO neuropathy!

Also, come here often, there is support from the 'been there/done that' crowd! No question is too small, or too 'icky'!

Hugs, kathi
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Hi Nana! I know everyone has different experiences with chemoradiation treatments, but mine were not so bad. I was tired all the time, but i didn't get too nauseous. I had more of a reaction to the radiation than the chemo with bladder burn and bladder infections. Especially after the treatments ended. Believe them when they say it's a cumulative thing! I'm more tired now, and get sicker now than when i was going through treatments.

I was on 5FU with a pump for six weeks. My radiation was five days a week for seven weeks to treat rectal cancer. Now i'm two weeks out of treatment, and still aware of my tumors presence. The docs say the treatments are still working, and will continue to do so for several more weeks. I'm more afraid of my surgery which is coming next! To me, you've already gone through the scary part! Hang in there, and i know everything will come out great for you!

Many hugs,
    Krista
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    KathiM said:

Wouldn't be normal if you weren't a bit anxious! As has been said, after a few, it becomes a routine.

Scalloped potatoes. That was my fav. Always baked before infusion, didn't feel much like it during. Water, water, water, water....I had to use the restroom numerous times during infusion...BUT, after 2 full rounds of chemo (one for rectal, one for breast), I have NO neuropathy!

Also, come here often, there is support from the 'been there/done that' crowd! No question is too small, or too 'icky'!

Hugs, kathi

Kathi, I knew you would mention your favorite food, potatoes and water of course. I saw you drinking other liquids too. Hope Hans is doing ok now. I think of you often.
    Jo Ann
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    jams67 said:

Kathi, I knew you would mention your favorite food, potatoes and water of course. I saw you drinking other liquids too. Hope Hans is doing ok now. I think of you often.
    Jo Ann

Hummmmm, would that be something about a lady at the top of the stairs?????

Thank you, dearheart, for asking...Hans IS doing better...they shocked him back into normal rhythm, and he has stayed there....hopefully for good!

Hugs, Kathi
  • MoonDragon
    MoonDragon Member Posts: 183
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op and starting chemo and radiation in 2 weeks. I'm more afraid of the unknown and the nasty effects it can have on my poor guts since I'm still in the constipation/diahhrea stage I'm dreading more of the same. We can be nervous...and winners together!!

Jorie
  • mrsriderman
    mrsriderman Member Posts: 48
    Options
    hi nana

of course you are scared.---- it will be fine. you will relearn a new normal life that includes docs and nurses and tests. but hopefully you have great nurses and docs. i was dx in june07 with stage 4 c.c. and know exactly the fear you are going thru. come here anytime the people are great-- eventhough i am a newbie-- i can ask these guys anything.--- set up aback up system for food and people to help you when you need it.
    good luck lisa r
  • rmap59
    rmap59 Member Posts: 266
    Options
    Hey Nana,
    I still get nervous and scared and have tremendous faith in God but we are Human. I am having my 3rd treatment tommorrow. Everybody here is great and they and I will help you through. Just post your feelings and we will try to help. I hope and pray you have little or no side effects. I trust the surgeries went well??

Robin
  • livefreeordie
    livefreeordie Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Dont worry be happy. It becomes routine after a while. But, its still not my favorite thing to do once a week. I used to pass out when getting shots.. Now it doesnt bother me when they poke me. I guess thats one good thing that came from all of this.. :)