New Here

paula44
paula44 Member Posts: 23
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I was posting on the colon cancer site this summer - I never thought I'd find myself here. I went in for colon surgery after a colonoscopy found a polyp with severe dysplasia. The polyp was flat so it was recommended I have the area of the colon as well as lymph nodes removed. The surgery was a success and the cancer had not even gotten into the colon yet - just the polyp. About 3 weeks after I was home I started hurting terribly in my right side. I went back in and had a CT scan which revealed a 3" mass on my ovary. So next I went to my ob/gyn for a sono. The cyst was complex - part fluid part solid. Everyone is questioning how the colon surgeon could have not seen it during the colon surgery. The colon surgeon says it wasn't there -that he couldn't have missed something that large. From what I understand that's a good thing - a cancer doesn't grow that large that quickly. Well, my ob/gyn didn't want to do surgery just 3 weeks out from the colon surgery so he had me wait 4 weeks and I went back yesterday. I had another sono and the cyst has gone down in size, but is now more solid than fluid. He ordered a CA125. He thinks the solid matter is probably blood and/or scar tissue on the ovary. But the fact that he ordered the CA125 has gotten me so scared I can hardly function today. I've read on here about the waiting and what it does to people. But I don't think I'm strong enough. I feel like I'm going to break at any minute. It's been a waiting game since the polyp and the colon surgery which was early August. And now this. Does anyone have anything to offer? Any advice or similar story?

Comments

• kris43
    kris43 Member Posts: 275
    Paula - I am so sorry that you find yourself on this site. I am new to the ovarian cancer site as well and the others will have much better advice then I will. The only thing that really stands out in my mind when I read about your mass is that I heard a speech once at a Relay for Life event and the woman said if you have a mass/lump/etc - it is not supposed to be there. Have it taken out - no matter what. I would concur. The waiting is the hardest part of cancer - the not knowing, the what if's that constantly go through your head - I finally had to get an anti-anxiety drug prescribed so that I could at least take one before chemo and before bed as needed so I can sleep or I just drive myself crazy. You are not alone. I hope that might bring you some comfort. Please be sure to keep us posted on what you find out and know that there are many of us that care. Sending good thoughts your way. Kris
  • lindachris
    lindachris Member Posts: 173
    Paula: I typed out a couple replies yesterday but didn't send them because I don't feel qualified to respond. But this morning I saw this article through my Google alerts for New Ovarian Cancer Treatments and found some heart in it. Here's the link> http://www.wmtw.com/health/14302138/detail.html.
    From your post I would say that you have several incremental "good news" items. First, you've had successful treatment and made it through the initial shock and first round of cancer. Second, your doctors are being judicious in protecting your health and eliminating the unknowns and trying to establish the knowns. Those are good things. God Bless and I wish you well. I'm sure others will post with advice soon too.
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Paula, Welcome:
    I also see the many 'positives' in all of this. The colon cancer was caught early, and we all know that is 'key' to recovery. And now you have a situation that has 'diminished in size'. That is very good news. And last, but certainly not least, it sounds as though you have thorough doctors who are going to stay on top of this and take care of it. As for the CA125, you are right about the 'waiting game'. We all have to go through it, but of course, it doesn't make it any easier. Maybe, as Kris mentioned, you can ask for something to calm you a bit. And remember, the numbers can be high for a variety of reasons. But the test, along with symptoms and other factors, will help to determine the course of action.

You are defintely not alone. We are all here for you. Please let us know what you find out. Your doctor could be right, nothing more than scar tissue, blood, etc. from your previous surgery.

We'll be here! Luv, hugs AND prayers!
    Monika
  • Susan523
    Susan523 Member Posts: 231 Member
    Hi, Paula. I am new here, too, although I was diagnosed with Ovarian a year-ago May. You can call your Dr. for the CA125 results; it should only take a day. And definitely ask for something to help you with the anxiety... the "waiting, not knowing, fear, etc" will drive you crazy... I know it does me; daily. There are so many emotions that I've gone through with this. For some reason my Gyn/Onc would not give me anything for anxiety, so I went to several doctors until I found one who would. Getting "hooked on Xanax" is the least of our worries at this point!! At least, that's how I feel. We need sleep to heal, and who can sleep??
    Good luck to you, and I hope & pray you get good news. (((hugs))) Susan
  • paula44
    paula44 Member Posts: 23
    My dr called - the CA125 was normal. I asked him to just take whatever this is out so I don't have to worry anymore but he said the risk of surgery right now would outweigh the risk of leaving the cyst/tumor in. He still thinks maybe it's only blood that's showing up as a solid. I saw the radiologist's report though and it said that it couldn't rule out ovarian cancer.

Thanks for your responses so far - you've all been very helpful.

Paula
  • kris43
    kris43 Member Posts: 275
    Susan523 said:

Hi, Paula. I am new here, too, although I was diagnosed with Ovarian a year-ago May. You can call your Dr. for the CA125 results; it should only take a day. And definitely ask for something to help you with the anxiety... the "waiting, not knowing, fear, etc" will drive you crazy... I know it does me; daily. There are so many emotions that I've gone through with this. For some reason my Gyn/Onc would not give me anything for anxiety, so I went to several doctors until I found one who would. Getting "hooked on Xanax" is the least of our worries at this point!! At least, that's how I feel. We need sleep to heal, and who can sleep??
    Good luck to you, and I hope & pray you get good news. (((hugs))) Susan

My doctor prescribed Ativan (Lorezapam)and you can take it as needed for anxiety - every 6 hours if needed, it's not addictive, and it works within 45 minutes of taking it. I am one of those people who really hate to take anything - but this medicine has been a godsend. I do take this about 45 minutes before I think I am ready for bed and can literally get in bed and just go to sleep. No more mind wandering. I am new to this site as well Susan - welcome. Kris
  • lindachris
    lindachris Member Posts: 173
    paula44 said:

My dr called - the CA125 was normal. I asked him to just take whatever this is out so I don't have to worry anymore but he said the risk of surgery right now would outweigh the risk of leaving the cyst/tumor in. He still thinks maybe it's only blood that's showing up as a solid. I saw the radiologist's report though and it said that it couldn't rule out ovarian cancer.

Thanks for your responses so far - you've all been very helpful.

Paula

Paula: Glad to hear the CA125 was normal. Thanks to everyone else for the perspectives on anti-anxiety and anti-depressant drugs. Those observations were helpful (to me) as well.