reconstruction or not?

Options
Kathh
Kathh Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi -

I would love to hear pros and cons from people who have had mastectomies when it comes to whether or not to have reconstruction. I'm concerned that the prostheses may slip or rub against the scar and cause discomfort. But I'm also worried about implants - might they migrate (I saw pictures on the Susan Love website of a woman whose breast had "wandered" to left an inch) or feel foreign. Any thoughts you have would be most welcome! My plan is to have a bilateral mastectomy, so at least symmetry should not be an issue.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• babs49242
    babs49242 Member Posts: 193
    Options
    Hi Kathh~
    I opted not to have reconstruction...I've had enough of doctors and surgeries. B4 BC I was only in the hospital to have my children. I am okay with the way I am. Hubby calls it 'Cindie's uniqueness'. I also figured that there will no feeling in the reconstructed breast and that would flip me out. it's bad enough now when ppl bump into me w/ my prothesis on and they say 'sorry to have run into you' I didn't feel anything! hahahaha
    Best wishes on your decision what is best for you.
    Hugs and support
    Cindie
  • jackiemanz
    jackiemanz Member Posts: 85
    Options
    babs49242 said:

Hi Kathh~
    I opted not to have reconstruction...I've had enough of doctors and surgeries. B4 BC I was only in the hospital to have my children. I am okay with the way I am. Hubby calls it 'Cindie's uniqueness'. I also figured that there will no feeling in the reconstructed breast and that would flip me out. it's bad enough now when ppl bump into me w/ my prothesis on and they say 'sorry to have run into you' I didn't feel anything! hahahaha
    Best wishes on your decision what is best for you.
    Hugs and support
    Cindie

Hello Kathh

In March of this year I was diagnosed with BC and I decided to have a Bilateral with reconstruction surgery at the same time. I am happy with my decision. I do have some feeling with them but just no sensation. My Doctor used the Silcon Gel and said they should last me 20 years with no problems.

Good Luck,
    Jackie
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I am an "almost perfectly b cup", so a prothesis is not a problem for me. Friends who are built larger though, tell me they are hot and sweaty with a prothesis. I do not have a problem with the prothesis rubbing the scar, but I do remember the Dr. telling me to wait 1 month after surgery until he gave me a go ahead.
  • melney
    melney Member Posts: 9
    Options
    You have to do what seems right for you. As for me, I chose implant reconstruction a couple of months after my mastectomy. Would do it again in a heartbeat. The fills were painless; just make sure the doctor goes slowly. The expander doesn't provide much projection, so the tip of a bra isn't filled out. Will swap the expander for a high profile implant in a couple of days to address that issue. As for migrating... good surgical technique should prevent that. Feeling foreign? Well, nothing can ever replace your breast, so to expect that is to set yourself up for disappointment. My goal is to look balanced in clothes and to have a little cleavage if I wear a top that is even a tiny bit low. Reconstruction was the best choice for me. Good luck as you decide!

Melanie
  • MichelleHM
    MichelleHM Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Well, I researched implants vs. a tram flap and went with the tram flap. It feels like my own breast. I don't have to worry about leaking, discomfort tightness or any of that stuff. It is a little more surgery and recovery time, but I felt it was worth it.

Oh, I got a tummy tuck out of it for my stomach is now my new breast!