Arimidex

Options
ladybluepgh
ladybluepgh Member Posts: 76
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
hi..Just wanted some feedback from anyone who has taken arimidex...any side effects I should watch out for?..Waiting for the oncotyping to come back and then will be starting the arimidex..I had a mastectomy Sept 13th..still sore and sometimes I get depressed ...I cant wait to go back to work. anyway, just checking on the arimidex thingie.

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    I have been taking Arimidex since 2003. I am one of the lucky ones; I have had no side effects to speak of. I tolerate it well, have not had any measurable bone loss, and so far, it is keeping the cancer from coming back. Can't ask for much more than that, can I? I know that this is not everyone's experiance, but it is mine~ and hopefully it will be yours too!
    Hugs,
    Claudia
  • roxanne53
    roxanne53 Member Posts: 154
    Options
    Hello
    I have been on Arimidex since 2003, too.
    The side effects that usually I get are the aches, pains in joints and muscles. Slowed metabolism.
    It is usually different for everyone. I am sensitive to medications so that is one thing I watch. Over time it seems to have gotten better or I am good at managing pain and aches.:)
    That is the major thing for me after these years.

Take care
    roxanne53
  • deb2001
    deb2001 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi there!
    Plas let me know how thins go for you. I have mine in the cabinet. Have NOT started it yet. Was on Femarra and the joint pain was unforgiving!

Haven't have the courage to add any mor poision to my boby at this time! Please stay in touch!
  • Skybuf
    Skybuf Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Hi Ladyblue....I take Arimidex and have since last August. I do get aches and pains, across shoulders/neck, leg and bone pain, but as my Oncologist said, Arimidex STOPS those nasty ca cells from attacking our breast area. She said it's a MUST to take it (for me anyway) to catch any culprits....so I don't have a choice, I had a mastectomy, 17 malignant lymph nodes and am HER 2 positive, and it was an aggressive kind...3 tumours. So I down that sucker every night around 6pm and say "go get em" and get on with life....it's such a tiny drug yet so Powerful eh!
    So listen to your Oncologist, ask questions about the drug, let them explain to you 'what it's for' and maybe you will be glad to take it! :)
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Please, please, please have a bone density test done. I did....as a result of the chemo from both cancer's, I was osteoporotic (-2.7T). This changed my onc's decision to start me on Arimidex....I have begun my treatment with Tamoxifen and Actonel (bone builder). Then will go on Arimidex. All of the aromatase inhibitors, because of how they work, cause bone loss. For healthy bones, this is fine....you may just want to ask your onc about ramping up your calcium intake...but for old ladies like me, it could have been a disaster.

Hugs, Kathi
  • ladybluepgh
    ladybluepgh Member Posts: 76
    Options
    KathiM said:

Please, please, please have a bone density test done. I did....as a result of the chemo from both cancer's, I was osteoporotic (-2.7T). This changed my onc's decision to start me on Arimidex....I have begun my treatment with Tamoxifen and Actonel (bone builder). Then will go on Arimidex. All of the aromatase inhibitors, because of how they work, cause bone loss. For healthy bones, this is fine....you may just want to ask your onc about ramping up your calcium intake...but for old ladies like me, it could have been a disaster.

Hugs, Kathi

HI Kathi,
    I'm an xray tech..with CDT license on the side..so i do the bone density testing..so far i've been normal on that one ...but ty for that advice...glad to see that so many arent having side affects from arimidex...lots of pills make me sick but time will tell with this..i trust the onc completely..thanks again