Cisplatin experience: side effects?

Options
lindachris
lindachris Member Posts: 173
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Curious if anyone can share experiences with Cisplatin which is what our doctor initially mentioned as the chemo drug of choice. We may have a consultation with the chemo doc tomorrow (Wednesday October 3)

Comments

• kris43
    kris43 Member Posts: 275
    Options
    There are a lot of drugs listed as recurrence drugs. I am to start Cisplatin on the 10th thru my abdomen port and actually have a posting out there asking how people did using the IV/IP. My doctor said that Cisplatin is the sister drug to Carboplatin. You can actually google the drug names and get a lot of good information that way also. Hoping that Linda is feeling stronger each day. Please let us know how you are both doing. Take care. Kris
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    I had the Carboplatin/Taxol-Taxotere regimine twice. So, since Carbo is so close to Cisplatin, I can relate to the possible side affects. For example, a horrible taste in my mouth in the beginning, then no taste at all - felt like my tongue was swollen all the time. My blood pressure dropped very low, and my normal is low anyway, so it caused some uncomfortable side affects. But rather than continue, just drop us a line when your wife is dealing with any particular problems and I'm sure between all of us we can offer some helpful hints. As Kris said, you can 'google' the name to get a heads up on some things. We're here for you and your wife to help you get through those rough times.
    Hugs and Prayers,
    Monika
  • lindachris
    Options
    mopar said:

Hello.
    I had the Carboplatin/Taxol-Taxotere regimine twice. So, since Carbo is so close to Cisplatin, I can relate to the possible side affects. For example, a horrible taste in my mouth in the beginning, then no taste at all - felt like my tongue was swollen all the time. My blood pressure dropped very low, and my normal is low anyway, so it caused some uncomfortable side affects. But rather than continue, just drop us a line when your wife is dealing with any particular problems and I'm sure between all of us we can offer some helpful hints. As Kris said, you can 'google' the name to get a heads up on some things. We're here for you and your wife to help you get through those rough times.
    Hugs and Prayers,
    Monika

Thank you Kris and Monika. I'm a little confused because my wife turned out to be allergic to carboplatin. So I'll have to ask if this is an issue when they make the recommendation. You mention an abdominal port. So is that technically IP therapy, or circumstance as to where they put the port? I'm supposing we'll probably have to have a port put in. The chemo people actually partially missed the port on one of our last treatments (2nd IP) and Linda's none too excited about that memory. We're also in a race against this abdominal swelling. Trying to knock the cancer back, which they described as being formed something like "frosting on a cake" down low in front of her abdomen. Thanks for the info again. The chemo doc meets with Linda and her folks today. I had to go to work after two days away.
  • kris43
    kris43 Member Posts: 275
    Options

Thank you Kris and Monika. I'm a little confused because my wife turned out to be allergic to carboplatin. So I'll have to ask if this is an issue when they make the recommendation. You mention an abdominal port. So is that technically IP therapy, or circumstance as to where they put the port? I'm supposing we'll probably have to have a port put in. The chemo people actually partially missed the port on one of our last treatments (2nd IP) and Linda's none too excited about that memory. We're also in a race against this abdominal swelling. Trying to knock the cancer back, which they described as being formed something like "frosting on a cake" down low in front of her abdomen. Thanks for the info again. The chemo doc meets with Linda and her folks today. I had to go to work after two days away.

IP therapy is what I was talking about with my Cisplatin. I have an IV port and an IP port. I had problems with my IP port healing so that is why I am trying this regime for the first time on the 10th. I've heard that the IP therapy is awful - so that is why I was trying to get information to prepare myself. Thinking of you and your family often and sending prayers. Keep us posted. Kris
  • kjohnson
    kjohnson Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I had several rounds of Cisplatin directly into my abdomen along with Taxol thru IV. I finished treatment almost a year ago and haven't had any real side effects except a bit of neuropathy in the very tips of a couple of my toes. It wasn't fun to go through at the time, but all seems to be well so far. My CA125 results have been between about 4 and 6!
  • lindachris
    Options
    kjohnson said:

I had several rounds of Cisplatin directly into my abdomen along with Taxol thru IV. I finished treatment almost a year ago and haven't had any real side effects except a bit of neuropathy in the very tips of a couple of my toes. It wasn't fun to go through at the time, but all seems to be well so far. My CA125 results have been between about 4 and 6!

Wow. It's weird how the experience with different chemo regimens runs the gamut. There's some encouraging news and I/we appreciate knowing a bit more about Cisplatin. You Google this stuff and it can be pretty daunting. It sounds like they're giving my wife a round intravenously and then for the second round they're talking about putting a port in her arm. She seems a bit fragile right now because she just starting taking solid foods yesterday and today is the first chemo. So we're staying the night at the hospital. Don't know whether they'll keep her longer or not. I'm hoping Cisplatin is well tolerated for Linda.
  • lindachris
    Options
    kris43 said:

IP therapy is what I was talking about with my Cisplatin. I have an IV port and an IP port. I had problems with my IP port healing so that is why I am trying this regime for the first time on the 10th. I've heard that the IP therapy is awful - so that is why I was trying to get information to prepare myself. Thinking of you and your family often and sending prayers. Keep us posted. Kris

Got Linda home after Friday's first round of Cisplatin/Gemzar. She was only four days off surgery so I told her how proud I was of her to accomplish such healing on a tight time frame. She has little appetite and is a little 'clogged' up but taking stuff to help her go, etc. Her body is so mixed up with all this surgery and treatments and such. Hard to tell what's "normal" and what not to worry about. And we're really trying to fight the abdominal swelling by knocking out the cancer quick as we can. Her big question was whether Cisplatin was strong enough to beat this recurrence or is it just a management drug? I told her from what I've seen it is designed to kill cancer cells, not just arrest them.
  • lizper
    lizper Member Posts: 199
    Options
    HI My Mom has had 10 Cisplatin-Gemzar chemos as she also developed a rash to Carboplat. Thank God we have had a good response to it, although I must saw she says this has been a very rough chemo (worse than Carboplat and Bristaxol)it has made her feel very drained out and her counts are taking harder to bounce back every time. As Mopar said, it's similar to Carbo so the bad taste in the mouth and lost of appetite is common. Hair is not lost completely, it's like hairs fall out once and a while and gets a little thinner but will not be bald. My Mom just had her 1oth cycle last Thursday and Dr, will be giving her a months rest to see what will come next. Prayers to you and your wife. hopefully she will not suffer harsh side effects. LIZ
  • lindachris
    Options
    lizper said:

HI My Mom has had 10 Cisplatin-Gemzar chemos as she also developed a rash to Carboplat. Thank God we have had a good response to it, although I must saw she says this has been a very rough chemo (worse than Carboplat and Bristaxol)it has made her feel very drained out and her counts are taking harder to bounce back every time. As Mopar said, it's similar to Carbo so the bad taste in the mouth and lost of appetite is common. Hair is not lost completely, it's like hairs fall out once and a while and gets a little thinner but will not be bald. My Mom just had her 1oth cycle last Thursday and Dr, will be giving her a months rest to see what will come next. Prayers to you and your wife. hopefully she will not suffer harsh side effects. LIZ

Thanks for this specific information. Drained is also how my wife feels, although there are other, emotional factors layered over the physical effects we are trying to reconcile. We go for Round II of Cycle 1 tomorrow. I hope I can prop her up through it. God Bless you for your help.