Abdominal swelling management

Options
lindachris
lindachris Member Posts: 173
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I'll try to be briefer on my posts...With a week to go before exploratory surgery, my wife's stomach is very bloated and her back hurts. No sign of cancer cells in the fluid they tested (twice) though. But how do you handle this increased swelling and back pain. Any advice?

Comments

• floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    Options
    Hi Lindachris,
    Since there are no cancer cells in this fluid that is a huge sign that it may be nothing but inflammation or maybe endometriosis. Which is still scary and painful. I was on Loratab until my surgery, and that helped soooo much, also before I even knew I had a big problem,I used a heating pad on my back, and lots of tylenol..that also helped...but nothing like a pain pill. Call her Dr., and ask for something just until surgery. Maybe Vicodin or Darvocet will help her. Good luck, and keep us posted...Joanne
  • lindachris
    Options
    floridajo said:

Hi Lindachris,
    Since there are no cancer cells in this fluid that is a huge sign that it may be nothing but inflammation or maybe endometriosis. Which is still scary and painful. I was on Loratab until my surgery, and that helped soooo much, also before I even knew I had a big problem,I used a heating pad on my back, and lots of tylenol..that also helped...but nothing like a pain pill. Call her Dr., and ask for something just until surgery. Maybe Vicodin or Darvocet will help her. Good luck, and keep us posted...Joanne

Thanks, Floridajo. Right now the Tylenol isn't working and her associative memory of Vicodin from the last chemo prevents her from taking that. So I'm calling the doc today as you advice. I've been using our back massager on her and am calling a friend who is a licensed massage therapist. She's getting pretty big and it's hard enough to move around just from that. We're hoping they can find the cause when they go in. Thanks for the encouragement.
  • kris43
    kris43 Member Posts: 275
    Options
    Linda & Chris - I am so glad to see that you wrote. I am new to the board, but have thought of you guys so often since I read your post from the 16th. So many of us are praying for you and wishing you the best. Please keep us posted. Kris
  • lindachris
    Options
    kris43 said:

Linda & Chris - I am so glad to see that you wrote. I am new to the board, but have thought of you guys so often since I read your post from the 16th. So many of us are praying for you and wishing you the best. Please keep us posted. Kris

I'm concerned because Linda is living in limbo between the last appt. Our G/O is out of town for a well-deserved week off but it meant she could not have the exploratory surgery that would/will/we hope get to the source of this abdominal swelling. Last weekend her back pain was so bad I wore out my fingers giving her massages and my wrists holding the electronic massager. Oh God, here goes a long post. My brother wants me to take her to the hospital because she's suffering. But the G/O said not unless there's fever, chills and nausea. She's got one out of three: Nausea. And just choked down an anti-N pill. What a trip. I feel like I'm in a bad made for TV movie.
    Just trying to make it till Monday. But if she gets much bigger and more uncomfortable, I'm taking her to the ER.
  • lindachris
    Options

I'm concerned because Linda is living in limbo between the last appt. Our G/O is out of town for a well-deserved week off but it meant she could not have the exploratory surgery that would/will/we hope get to the source of this abdominal swelling. Last weekend her back pain was so bad I wore out my fingers giving her massages and my wrists holding the electronic massager. Oh God, here goes a long post. My brother wants me to take her to the hospital because she's suffering. But the G/O said not unless there's fever, chills and nausea. She's got one out of three: Nausea. And just choked down an anti-N pill. What a trip. I feel like I'm in a bad made for TV movie.
    Just trying to make it till Monday. But if she gets much bigger and more uncomfortable, I'm taking her to the ER.

Seems like the pills helped a bit. She was calmed for bed tonight. Sorry my last post sounded self-serving or self-aggrandizing. Didn't mean it like that. You all know this stuff twists your context and all I'm looking for is perspective from others on whether there's something you should do when people reach certain points of discomfort. There's just no frame of reference.
  • kris43
    Options

Seems like the pills helped a bit. She was calmed for bed tonight. Sorry my last post sounded self-serving or self-aggrandizing. Didn't mean it like that. You all know this stuff twists your context and all I'm looking for is perspective from others on whether there's something you should do when people reach certain points of discomfort. There's just no frame of reference.

I hope you realize you do not have to apologize for having concern for your love one. You sound frustrated and afraid - I would be too. My theory is that this is your wifes disease, her body and she (you) should have some say in what is going on. When I had problems with allergies to Taxol & I didn't feel like anyone was really listening to me I made an appointment to just go in and talk to the doctor, face to face, with my list of questions, my fears, etc so that I could look her in the eye and have her see ME and not just my disease. Things have went along better since then. Yes, things are planned for surgery, there have been biopsies - but obviously something is going on and you need to ease your mind. I hope you guys can see someone today - nobody should have to suffer like this. My best thoughts to you and Linda. Kris
  • lindachris
    Options
    kris43 said:

I hope you realize you do not have to apologize for having concern for your love one. You sound frustrated and afraid - I would be too. My theory is that this is your wifes disease, her body and she (you) should have some say in what is going on. When I had problems with allergies to Taxol & I didn't feel like anyone was really listening to me I made an appointment to just go in and talk to the doctor, face to face, with my list of questions, my fears, etc so that I could look her in the eye and have her see ME and not just my disease. Things have went along better since then. Yes, things are planned for surgery, there have been biopsies - but obviously something is going on and you need to ease your mind. I hope you guys can see someone today - nobody should have to suffer like this. My best thoughts to you and Linda. Kris

I don't track her weight (:-)) but I've gathered from her comments she's gained over 10lbs in fluid (that might be low) from this swelling and her belly is tight. Her middle back went completely out this past weekend and she was pale with pain and fear. Our nurse team at the G/O office is sensitive but I feel like a pest. They told us just to ride it out, in so many words, unless Linda is vomiting, feeling chills. She can hardly eat from the nausea and my brother called long distance (he was her chemo encouragement buddy during the first round) and told me I should not let her continue to suffer, but get her to the hospital. The two bits of advice are diametric.
  • lindachris
    Options
    kris43 said:

Tuesday night I took her to the emergency room. They drained 6 liters of fluid from her belly. She came back calmed and resolute. Had a much better pair of days. We're going for exploratorty surgery Monday.
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

Tuesday night I took her to the emergency room. They drained 6 liters of fluid from her belly. She came back calmed and resolute. Had a much better pair of days. We're going for exploratorty surgery Monday.

My goodness, 6 liters! I hope it wasn't too painful for her. But I'm sure it had to be a big relief. My prayers for a smooth surgery on Monday and good results.
    Hugs, prayers,
    Monika
  • lindachris
    Options
    mopar said:

My goodness, 6 liters! I hope it wasn't too painful for her. But I'm sure it had to be a big relief. My prayers for a smooth surgery on Monday and good results.
    Hugs, prayers,
    Monika

She's mostly relieved. Weird to now face the surgery. But now you folks know I was not exaggerating!
  • kris43
    Options

She's mostly relieved. Weird to now face the surgery. But now you folks know I was not exaggerating!

I did not for one minute believe you were exaggerating. I was just concerned for how much pain Linda was in. Next time you will know there is no need to wait. Take good care!!! I hope this weekend goes much better then last weekend did and please keep us posted on what you find out. Kris
  • challen14
    challen14 Member Posts: 29
    Options

Hi... I can only imagine Linda's relief. I'm sure you both will be relieved to get this surgery behind you. You have both been through so much already, but hopefully the source of the fluid retention will be discovered and remedied. Hang in there until Monday...thoughts and prayers are being sent your way...Charlotte
  • lindachris
    Options
    challen14 said:

Hi... I can only imagine Linda's relief. I'm sure you both will be relieved to get this surgery behind you. You have both been through so much already, but hopefully the source of the fluid retention will be discovered and remedied. Hang in there until Monday...thoughts and prayers are being sent your way...Charlotte

Thank you everyone. We managed a decent walk in a forest preserve today. She's still tired from a stressful week but the day was gorgeous here in the Midwest. A few tears but also a few wildflowers and birds filled our eyes and lifted our hearts. Thank goodness her tummy is not filling up fast again. And I hope the doctor(s) can solve this mystery and find the cure. I'll ask her to read these threads...