2nd treatment accomplished

kris43
kris43 Member Posts: 275
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
They did decide to go with the Taxotere & Carboplatin today - then my doctor came in this morning to do my physical and asked if I'd like to try the IP Cisplatin this time around. I was so shocked! We decided to wait until the October 10th treatment and try to do at least 3 IV/IP treatments of the remaining 4 I have to go. She did agree to let me be admitted to the hospital on the 10th for observation since I've had so many odd things happen since being diagnosed (2 weeks of fever, 5 weeks of antibiotics and packing of an opening in my incision, allergic to Taxol along with my many medicine allergies to begin with). So today went well. I'm a bit achy tonight - but really, is it because a weather change is coming through or from the chemo? Tomorrow will tell.

I also received the okay today to return to Curves, where I'm a member currently on "medical leave" - as long as I wipe down all the machine handles first (kind of hard to do when you change stations every 30 seconds) - so I think I'm going to wear latex gloves and then I can just take those off and throw them away. That'll be pretty sterile. Sure I'll look weird - but I'm also bald, so who cares at this point! Has anyone had luck with trying to lose weight while receiving steroids along with chemo? I've heard losing weight is a big no-no for most chemo patients (my nurses have said that is the only time Dr. Bell gets mad - when her patients lose weight instead of maintaing). My doctor said good luck trying - but she'd give me the go ahead if I promised to do it the safe way and just eat healthy. No gimmicks. I had lost a large amount of weight 1 1/2 years ago and am up about 10 pounds already since July and it is driving me crazy - this on top of a few more I had gained since last April when I kind of fizzled out & just wanted to try something new! Dr. Bell did say that the IP chemo is very harsh so that it would be a good weight loss plan (she was joking!!) - but I felt better talking to her and having her give me the thumbs up. Wish me luck!

Thank you so much to everyone who had such kind words for me on my first post. I felt very welcomed.

My best to you all.
Kris

Comments

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Kris:
    I remember the 'aches' all too well. When they were really bad I would fill the bath tub with hot water (and maybe some bubbles or soothing bath salts) and just lay there and soak. I would generally do that before bed and it really relaxed me and took away the aches. But then, I've always be a sucker for a hot, long soak in the tub!

Bravo to you for continuing at Curves! I've always believed that exercise is a vital part of recovery and health in general, within your limits, of course. As for the weight gain, I put on way too much weight (not from overeating), just from the changes that the body goes through from the surgery, chemo, etc., and the way the drug is stored in the tissue. Anyway, I restructured my eating (even though I always ate healthy) and enhanced my workout program and I'm having some good results. However, I will say that the 'chemo' weight is the hardest to get rid of. But, it can be done.

I think the gloves are a great idea - it will definitely save you time and effort (sounds like you're doing circuit training??). You might want to look into theatrical gloves or marching band gloves. When my daughters were in the music program they wore white, slender cotton gloves. So they were nice looking and also they were able to play their instruments easily. I don't want to sound morbid, but they are similar to the gloves that pall-bearers wear at funerals. Either way, I think they would be just fine to use.

Well, so glad to hear from you again. As always, sending luv and hugs and prayers your way. Hope to hear from you again soon!

(((HUGS)))
    Monika
  • jamilou
    jamilou Member Posts: 200
    Kris
    What a great attitude that you have. I had a good laugh over the gloves and bald head! Monika is right, chemo and gaining weight almost go hand in hand. I gained quite a bit of weight but eventually I was able to take it off with weight watchers and exercise. Good luck at Curves and have fun!
    Jami
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Kris, I applaud you for your wonderful attitude and to already want to go back to curves is awesome. I have met women who lose weight while on chemo, but most are like myself and gain. I gained the 25-30 lbs and still struggle taking off 20-25 that call my body home now. :-)

It is good news that you are going to get the IP and the IV chemo. I have heard it is tough a one but well worth it, even if a person only gets 1-2 treatments.

Saying lots of prayers and good wishes to your success.

Hugs N Prayers Bonnie
  • kris43
    mopar said:

Kris:
    I remember the 'aches' all too well. When they were really bad I would fill the bath tub with hot water (and maybe some bubbles or soothing bath salts) and just lay there and soak. I would generally do that before bed and it really relaxed me and took away the aches. But then, I've always be a sucker for a hot, long soak in the tub!

Bravo to you for continuing at Curves! I've always believed that exercise is a vital part of recovery and health in general, within your limits, of course. As for the weight gain, I put on way too much weight (not from overeating), just from the changes that the body goes through from the surgery, chemo, etc., and the way the drug is stored in the tissue. Anyway, I restructured my eating (even though I always ate healthy) and enhanced my workout program and I'm having some good results. However, I will say that the 'chemo' weight is the hardest to get rid of. But, it can be done.

I think the gloves are a great idea - it will definitely save you time and effort (sounds like you're doing circuit training??). You might want to look into theatrical gloves or marching band gloves. When my daughters were in the music program they wore white, slender cotton gloves. So they were nice looking and also they were able to play their instruments easily. I don't want to sound morbid, but they are similar to the gloves that pall-bearers wear at funerals. Either way, I think they would be just fine to use.

Well, so glad to hear from you again. As always, sending luv and hugs and prayers your way. Hope to hear from you again soon!

(((HUGS)))
    Monika

Thanks for tip re: the band gloves Monika. That might work - I was thinking of the latex gloves so that they could just be tossed each time and no need to think about germs being brought home.

It is so wonderful to know that others have had the weight gain also - and it's just something else we have to deal with. I'm going to keep that in mind while I'm trying to do some work outs and not eat everything in site. HA!

Having a bit of nausea today, but my meds work and so that is a good thing. My body is not aching this morning either - I took 2 extra-strength Tylenol last night and that seemed to help - plus the weather system has gone through and I'm sure that was part of it.

Hope you all have a good day today. I'm grateful to be part of this sight. Hugs to you all as well.
    Kris
  • floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    kris43,
    I have to smile at the thought of the bald head and gloves!!! But I say go for it. I did not gain any weight on chemo. Well I did gain a bunch but they put me on lasix and I lost all the water weight from the steriods and I've been watching my weight and am down another 7 lbs. So it can be done. Just watch the carbs,I cut out all soda even if it was diet. Eat healthy and try to work a bit and it seems to help alittle. Good luck with the ip chemo..I have heard it's rather harsh but has great results....anything to beat this monster is ok in my book....((((hugz)))..Joanne
  • duckcreek
    duckcreek Member Posts: 14
    Glad to hear you are going for the IP treatments. I had 4 of them and it is tuff but worth it from what I am told. I guess I was lucky because I lost weight instead of gaining. I would not be one bit surprised if you don't loose weight too during your IP treatments.
  • kris43
    duckcreek said:

Glad to hear you are going for the IP treatments. I had 4 of them and it is tuff but worth it from what I am told. I guess I was lucky because I lost weight instead of gaining. I would not be one bit surprised if you don't loose weight too during your IP treatments.

My doctor did say that the IP treatments will be brutal and that I will probably lose weight that way - but in the mean time I'm going to try to work out and eat better then I have been. Being home all day plus steroids in your system just means I'm always feeling hungry. Thanks for all your tips! Kris