new to the site

kris43
kris43 Member Posts: 275
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi. I wanted to introduce myself. I've been "watching" this wonderful support site for the past 2 months. I was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer Stage IIIC 2 months ago today, have had surgery, my ports implanted and have went thru 1 round of chemo - my second round is tomorrow. I was originally to have Taxol/Cisplatin thru IV/IP - but I am allergic to the Taxol (tried twice with added steroids - and it's not doable), so they gave me Taxotere and Carboplatin IV the first go round. Tomorrow I'll find out what the game plan is from here on out. My hair was coming out by the handful this past Sunday so I am sitting here typing bald this morning. My friend Sheri came over and we shaved it off last night. Cancer became real with the hair coming out - I don't know why that is - maybe because I now "look" like a cancer patient? I'm still trying to figure it out.

I have been reading your posts and you guys have some wonderful support out there. I've looked at other website support groups - but this one I felt immediately as if I've known you. Such kindness out there - wow.

I look forward to being part of this group for a long time to come. Ovarian cancer is a scary thing - but all of you seem to be so strong. I need that right now because nothing freaks me out more then the unknown and not feeling as if I'm in control of my own life.

Take care.
Kris

Comments

• saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Wecome, Kris43! I was diagnosed 3/2/07 already at stage IV because of three liver tumors. I had four doses of Carbo/Taxol before the debulking surgery which was described as "optimal".
    I am now on 4 to 6 more chemo doses every three weeks. I also shaved my head before it all came out however this second round it has not come out! But it is white as snow. I ordered three wigs from the internet and use lots of scarfs and hats. The shortest lightest weight wigs are the most comfortable for me. I did not know my head could sweat so much until I was bald! E-mail any of us if you want to ask a specific question by clicking on the envelope. ((Hugs and prayers)) Saundra
  • jamilou
    jamilou Member Posts: 200
    Kris
    Welcome to the boards. I am so sorry that you have a need to be here but the women here will be a great source of compassion, support and prayers! The hair is so hard to lose. My husband and girls shaved my head and it made the cancer very real. I wore bandanas and hats. I felt more comfortable and more myself. Everyone has their own style and you will find yours. Good luck on your next treatment. We will keep you in our prayers for a quick remission!
    Hugs
    Jami
  • kris43
    kris43 Member Posts: 275
    I did talk to the doctor office this morning and will be having Taxotere & Carboplatin again tomorrow. Will have to wait and see if my abdomen port will ever be used now. I did get more wonderful news regarding my CA 125 - it is now 12.8, down from 1632 when I left the hospital on 7-21-07. So surgery and chemo are working.

I went out to lunch with a friend at noon today with my scarf on (I am not a wig girl) and it was fine. My girlfriends sponsored a scarf party for me a few weeks ago and I have about 100 scarfs to choose from - it is crazy! I am so blessed!

Thank you for the welcomes and I'll be checking the posts and cheering you all on.

Kris
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    kris43 said:

I did talk to the doctor office this morning and will be having Taxotere & Carboplatin again tomorrow. Will have to wait and see if my abdomen port will ever be used now. I did get more wonderful news regarding my CA 125 - it is now 12.8, down from 1632 when I left the hospital on 7-21-07. So surgery and chemo are working.

I went out to lunch with a friend at noon today with my scarf on (I am not a wig girl) and it was fine. My girlfriends sponsored a scarf party for me a few weeks ago and I have about 100 scarfs to choose from - it is crazy! I am so blessed!

Thank you for the welcomes and I'll be checking the posts and cheering you all on.

Kris

Welcome, Kris!
    It's great to add another friend to our vast list! Your CA125 is wonderul!

I was diagnosed with 1C in 2000 (surgery and chemo), and again in 2006 (surgery and chemo). The first time I let my hair fall out on it's own, then when I had my first wig fitted they just buzzed the rest off. The second time, I had it buzzed off just before I could 'feel' it ready to go. Actually, I like the look and everyone said I had the 'perfect shaped head'! Who woulda' thought?? Anyway, I wore wigs to work, and at home sometimes nothing, or my baseball caps with my teal ribbon on it to go out, scarves, etc. My husband and daughters were so supportive and at first I felt bad for going without any head covering at home. I didn't want to make them sad or uncomfortable. But they all said, 'whatever I want'. It was fine with them. I am so blessed also. I can't begin to tell you the countless blessings I have had not only before all of this, but during even the hardest times, and even still today.

Keep us informed and visit often. We all rely on eachother a lot here, as it should be. Hope to hear from you again soon!

Luv, hugs, prayers!
    Monika
  • groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    Hi kris, and welcome to the "club". I always thought of my hair loss as more of a nuisance than anything - it gets darned cold here in the winter, and I chose to wear a fleece beret at home, and because I was interviewing for jobs at the time, I had a wig to wear "out" that was exactly my hair color.

Isn't it ironic that so many guys choose to shave their heads, yet let a woman go without hair, and "cancer" jumps into everyone's minds? Your own attitude is the most important thing. I've found that the longer I've been involved with OVCA, the more I tend to discount the little stuff, and the more I stand up for myself; it works for me.
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Kris, welcome to the board. You are so right that you can find strength, comfort, hope and women that know the joy of life. Warriors with the strength and faith to fight the good fight.

I think for many of us the hair falling out is the first big hurtle, but once its shaved off we are ready for the next leg of the journey. For me I can't stand the hair all over and prefer bald over shedding. :-)

Hugs n Prayers from another scarf/bandana girl

Bonnie
  • floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    Welcome Kris43!!!
    I hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do, the ladies here are always willing to help in anyway posssible. Your ca-125 is wonderful, and a good sign that you respond well to chemo. I had my hair shaved as well, it was a teary moment, but much better than watching it come out little by little. I wore doo-rags and other types of hats,I had a wig but it was so itchy, and it just wasn't me. So good luck with your tx..and welcome...((((hugz)))..Joanne
  • challen14
    challen14 Member Posts: 29
    kris43 said:

Kris

Hi Kris
    I'm pretty new around here too and, like you have followed the progress of the ladies here for some time. I also am not a wig girl either. Your girlfriends sound awesome and fun. It gets too hot here to even wear a hat in the summer months. (I'm in Va.) I'm so glad the taxotere is working for you. You have such a positive outlook on things and it's so nice to see. I'm interested and concerned to hear how your IP treatment goes. I've heard it's rough, but I've never had it.
    Welcome to the group! Take care and keep us posted.

Charlotte