I Was Wondering

jay1973
jay1973 Member Posts: 8
I had a brain tumor when I was 17. I was cured of the tumor, but had some serious setbacks along the way. - - shunt failure in 2001, in a coma because of that.
I am 34 now and I find it very hard to find a mate. I guess its a lack of confidence in myself. Is this a common thing with people who have been through an experience like this? I hope I'm not the only one.

Comments

• coehler
    coehler Member Posts: 3
    I'm a 42-year old female, and want to let you know that you're right on the money! Lack of confidence from all your trauma goes along with the territory (depression, anxiety, etc.) I've had a colon removal & jpouch setup, along with a bilateral mastectomy (removal of both breasts). I've been married 24 years, and it's taken quite a toll on our marriage. I feel unattractive with the scarring & I'm unable to have breast reconstruction. So, I wear my fake prosthetics, go to counseling, pray, meditate, involve myself with my children, and feel HAPPY to be alive. I have great friends from church. Do you go to church or have another social outing where you could meet someone? Maybe you could search for a cancer support group on this site and go and meet someone. Just remember you're YOU, NOT the disease :)
  • jay19731991
    jay19731991 Member Posts: 2
    coehler said:

I'm a 42-year old female, and want to let you know that you're right on the money! Lack of confidence from all your trauma goes along with the territory (depression, anxiety, etc.) I've had a colon removal & jpouch setup, along with a bilateral mastectomy (removal of both breasts). I've been married 24 years, and it's taken quite a toll on our marriage. I feel unattractive with the scarring & I'm unable to have breast reconstruction. So, I wear my fake prosthetics, go to counseling, pray, meditate, involve myself with my children, and feel HAPPY to be alive. I have great friends from church. Do you go to church or have another social outing where you could meet someone? Maybe you could search for a cancer support group on this site and go and meet someone. Just remember you're YOU, NOT the disease :)

Thanks for the message. It gives me a good feeling to know that what I'm experiencing is normal. I already knew it, I think I just needed to hear someone say it. Thanks again. Good luck with your health. I'll keep you in my prayers.
  • dabulnut
    dabulnut Member Posts: 1
    hello jay1973 no you not the only one i feel the same way i had hodskins and 2 years later aml leaukemia and i cant find a mate eighter but im just glad im alive and living im 33 years old all i can say is be happy we r still here