NO APPETITE

Options
wanda23
wanda23 Member Posts: 58
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
my mom has hardly no appetite all of a sudden after the stint was put in, she lost over 13lb in a week and a half, and now she barely is eating any advice on how to get her appetite up, she drinks one ensure(boost) a day, but even that seems like an effort, she said she feels full in her throat area? any advice ?

Thanks all

Comments

• claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Wanda,
    Not certain if your Mom is taking Chemo now? I know that the chemo I take sometime seems to mess with my throat or esophicas (sp). I get that feeling, when I swollow, that it's tight.

I take anit acids..that have been prescribed for me. Tell the doctor.

Instead of a stint, do you mean a Port? You have to give that a little while to heal. Mine hurt around the lung area for about a week. That goes away, though.

Hope your Mom gets better and make sure you tell the Nurses right away.

Claudia
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    Wanda -

I agree with Claudia... I understand that some chemo meds can make your throat feel full and tight. Has your mom started her chemo? A lot of times folks start chemo right after they get their port put in (is that what you meant by stent?). Chemo can EASILY make you lose your appetite - as many folks here will attest to. Of course it can also make you crave Cheetos! (but let's not get started on THAT again; although, for the record, I LOVE Cheetos)

Something else to consider is that she's probably very dehydrated. She may need IV fluids. Normally a rapid weight loss like you describe is water weight. Ask her to talk to her doc and see about getting some fluids into her. The Boost doesn't really count as fluid - even though it's a liquid. She sould be drinking between 2 and 4 litres of water a day. Once you get severely dehydrated, though, you actually need IV fluids, just drinking water won't really catch you up to normal hydration. I know it sounds crass to say it, but this IS a colon cancer board: she will be at good hydration lever when her urine is a light straw color and clear. The darker the urine, the more concentrated it is and the more water she needs.

- SpongeBob
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    spongebob said:

Wanda -

I agree with Claudia... I understand that some chemo meds can make your throat feel full and tight. Has your mom started her chemo? A lot of times folks start chemo right after they get their port put in (is that what you meant by stent?). Chemo can EASILY make you lose your appetite - as many folks here will attest to. Of course it can also make you crave Cheetos! (but let's not get started on THAT again; although, for the record, I LOVE Cheetos)

Something else to consider is that she's probably very dehydrated. She may need IV fluids. Normally a rapid weight loss like you describe is water weight. Ask her to talk to her doc and see about getting some fluids into her. The Boost doesn't really count as fluid - even though it's a liquid. She sould be drinking between 2 and 4 litres of water a day. Once you get severely dehydrated, though, you actually need IV fluids, just drinking water won't really catch you up to normal hydration. I know it sounds crass to say it, but this IS a colon cancer board: she will be at good hydration lever when her urine is a light straw color and clear. The darker the urine, the more concentrated it is and the more water she needs.

- SpongeBob

Yup....landed in the hospital sharing a room with a 'drying out' drug addict because I didn't keep my water up.....

Talk to her doc...there are some very good solutions, but only if he/she knows you need them (MY onc actually YELLED at me when I called and asked for IV fluids....sigh...that is why she is no longer my onc....lol)

Hugs, Kathi

P.S. CHEETOS????? REALLY???? Hummm, you think you know a person....rofl...
  • wanda23
    wanda23 Member Posts: 58
    Options
    spongebob said:

Wanda -

- SpongeBob

my mom just started a new chemo after the folfiri didnt work, she is doing folfox and avastin now, but she was off chemo for 2 months prior to starting the new chemo (for her)due to a port gone bad and a blockage, that is why she had to get a stint put in and also had to go back to a pic line.....she drinks alot of water, but everytime she eats the littleist thing she goes to the washroom, she claims that she does not have diarehea???