neuropathy and dislocated ankle

Options
NanD
NanD Member Posts: 58
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am a three year colon cancer survivor. I have experienced the long term neuropathy from oxaliplatin that is so common but I didn't think it was too severe to interfere with much except fine work with my hands. I had returned to the tennis courts soon after finishing chemo without too much problem. However, I had a weird accident in June. I tripped and fell, which is the kind of thing that should just result in a sprain, but resulted in a dislocation( basically the foot came off the ankle). My question is just a general one to my fellow oxaliplatin neuropathy friends: anyone else out there falling around and having severe injuries? I suspect there's no connection but you never know unless you ask.

Comments

• jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Nan,
    That sounds very painful! Ouch!
    I am 2 years NED and I have neuropathy in both feet and fingers. I broke my ankle 3 years ago and that foot is much more numb than the other one. If I'm on that ankle a lot and it swells a little bit, it really makes a difference. As your ankle heals completely, maybe the neuropathy will disappear, but it will probably take a little time.
    Jo Ann
  • vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have the neuropathy affecting the fingertips and toes but also has given a stiff feeling in my left ankle. No injuries yet. If your neuropathy is fairly significant it could lead to an increased chance of a fall as you don't get all the same feedback of where your foot is.

• Heider
    Heider Member Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    vinny3 said:

I have the neuropathy affecting the fingertips and toes but also has given a stiff feeling in my left ankle. No injuries yet. If your neuropathy is fairly significant it could lead to an increased chance of a fall as you don't get all the same feedback of where your foot is.

I'm a 4 year survivor. The neuropathy is gone from my fingers and only left in my toes. I have gotten used to it, so it only really bothers me if I go out in cold weather. I haven't broken anything, but do have swelling and tendonitis in my achilles tendon