Senate Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month Resolution

groundeffect
groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi everyone,

The Ovarian Cancer National Alliance has issued an alert to encourage as many people affected by ovarian cancer as possible to contact their senators to encourage them co-sponsor the House or Senate resolutios to make September Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month. You can get more information and fill out an on-line letter at this link: http://capwiz.com/ovarian/issues/alert/?alertid=10246206&queueid=[capwiz:queue_id]

It's quick and easy, and a good way to remind your elected officials that you're out there.

This morning the Today Show ran a piece on the lack of a good test for ovarian cancer, why it's not as attractive for funding to find a test, and how easy it is to overlook at early stages. Raising the profile of September as Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month could help remind them that we're out here!

Comments

• jamilou
    jamilou Member Posts: 200
    Thanks for the reminder. I missed the Today Show segment but heard that they did a pretty good job. I will email my elected officials today.
    Jami
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Thank you for the info! I thought that September already was designated Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month. I will zip to that website right away and fill in that letter. Just a side note, the current issue of Woman's Day has an article about Ovarian Cancer as well.

We definitely need the word to get out more, better tests, more research, more treatment options, etc. Thank you again!

Hugs!
    Monika
  • groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    I got a note from the OVCA National Alliance starting with this:

On Thursday, September 6, the Senate unanimously passed the Resolution declaring September Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month. The Resolution, introduced by Senators Stabenow (D-MI) and Dole (D-NC) was co-sponsored by Senators Clinton (D-NY), Hutchison (R-TX) Menendez (D-NJ), Murray (D-WA) and Wyden (D-OR).

So, the resolution was passed. It's always good to give the Senators and Representatives a reminder about things that are on your mind.