Allergic reaction

saundra
saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I saw my oncologist today and was told we may have to drop either taxol or carbo after my next dose on Thursday because I had a mild
rash for a week last dose. He said the reactions usually get worse and it could be either of the chemicals. I will be more heavily pre treated for allergic reaction this time and we'll see what happens. Otherwise my blood has bounced back to the normal range in less than three weeks. We are just praying that I can get thru two to three more treatments before a bad reaction stops these chemicals that I tolerate well and are working. They did a CA 125 today but I have to wait until Thur for the results on it. Last one was 10.

Comments

• paula57
    paula57 Member Posts: 93
    Sandra, I had a reation to carbo/taxol my first go round where I had some trouble breathing on my third chemo. On my fourth chemo I took 50mg of benadryl every 4 hrs for 48 hours. I did fine but that was with Drs orders. Best of luck with your chemo. I had my second chemo for my recurrance today. The next several days will be the test. Take care, Paula
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Saundra, It sounds like the carbo to me. Pretty common side affect and your Dr is right it usually gets worse. How many treatments have you had so far? Maybe you can just get the taxol alone and see what happens. That is what I did when I became allergic carbo back in 2003. Praying the extra premeds take care of the problem and you get to finish your treatments.

Congratulations on the low ca125, that is awesome!

Hugs N Prayers BonnieRose
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Saundra:
    Yes, it could be either one. My personal experience: I had carbo/taxol in 2000. I started carbo/taxol again in 2006, but had a severe reaction to the taxol on the second treatment (whole body rash, difficulty breathing, rapid heart rate, etc.). Even though I always received Benadryl before the treatments, they tried Benadryl again, but it didn't help. So Taxol was switched to Taxotere and I finished my treatments with Carbo/Taxotere.

I'm so glad to hear that your numbers are coming down! I'm sure whatever the doc switches you to will be fine. NOTE: BE SURE TO ADD EITHER THE TAXOL OR CARBO TO YOUR 'ALLERGY' LIST.

Luv & Hugs!
    Monika
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    BonnieR said:

Saundra, It sounds like the carbo to me. Pretty common side affect and your Dr is right it usually gets worse. How many treatments have you had so far? Maybe you can just get the taxol alone and see what happens. That is what I did when I became allergic carbo back in 2003. Praying the extra premeds take care of the problem and you get to finish your treatments.

Congratulations on the low ca125, that is awesome!

Hugs N Prayers BonnieRose

My oncologist said it probably was the carbo. I have had 4 rounds before surgery and now tomorrow will be the third after surgery, so I am on my seventh. He said we would drop the carbo for the eighth. I have not had a CT scan since the surgery and he doesn't know when we will do another. He will consult with the Dallas surgeons after we see what the reaction is tomorrow. Three weeks ago it was just an itchy rash for a week no breathing problems. I do the same thing with image dye before a CT scan.
  • challen14
    challen14 Member Posts: 29
    Hi Saundra
    I too had a reaction to carbo over the course of three years and 15 doses. There was shortness of breath, dizziness,and vomiting with a strong urge to blow from the bottom. A few days later came the rash on my back. It was not pleasant. After that, i was put on straight Taxol once a week for 3 weeks, and 1 week off. Your CA# is great. Keep on with your tx as long as you can tolerate it...because it seems to be working. Have faith and be tough. Hang in there and think of good the good times to come.
    Charlotte