When do you start counting?

Options
Joan41
Joan41 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have almost finished treatment for "triple negative" breast cancer. Much of the research that I've read indicates that this cancer usually returns within 3 years.

My question is this -- when you do start to count the three years? Is it three years from initial diagnosis or three years from the end of your treatment?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Comments

• Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    I was told that the highest risk was 2 years after treatment completed... So that sounds like 3 years from diagnosis since most treatment programs last 6 to 9 months. Early on they keep you on a 3 month leash & then you earn a 6 month leash and then I think after a few years you get a 1 year leash... I have tried to live life and try not to spend too much time worrying about recurrence.. but it is always out there in the back of my mind.

Take Care... God Bless...

Susan
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I think it is from diagnosis date...but, my Tamoxifen started counting after treatment was over...so, sigh, who knows???

About this LEASH....I want MINE diamond-studded!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    KathiM said:

I think it is from diagnosis date...but, my Tamoxifen started counting after treatment was over...so, sigh, who knows???

About this LEASH....I want MINE diamond-studded!!!

Hugs, Kathi

I think diamond studded sounds like the deal.... We've all earned them...

Susan
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Really Good Question, Joan! Who comes up with these "Magic Numbers", anyway??? Some of us consider ourselves Survivors the day of our dx, some the day of our surgery, some at the end of treatment. It almost seems arbitrary, doesn't it?
    That having been said~ someone, somewhere has put a 3 year date on your cancer type. Have you asked your oncologist?? Perhaps he/she can give you a clearer understanding of just when these numbers start~and then you can educate the rest of us!
    Congratulations on your pending finish of treatment! I feel certain that KathiM would suggest a Naked Happy Dance! :-)
    Keep us posted; we need to know how our Sisters are doing.
    Hugs,
    Claudia
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Throw away your counting calendars and understand that statistics on populations don't describe individuals.Cancer treatment has changed so much in the last three years, that those stats are probably don't apply to you anymore anyhow. Stats like those are averages of past populations that may not have received the same treatments you have had. The stats also include folks that might be older and more fragile than you. Get your affairs in order just in case so that your loved ones will be taken care of (a car could hit you tomorrow you know), then enjoy each day for the present it is.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I agree with Cabbot in the end. I think we have to be smart and be prepared as much as possible without allowing fear to rule our lives. Yes, we are more likely than the general population to die of cancer, but then folks in Michigan are more likely to break a bone from falling on ice than those of us in Texas, but we are more likely to faint from heat stroke, or get blown away by a tornado. Life is risky, but we have to live it anyway.

Enjoy! seof
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    seof said:

I agree with Cabbot in the end. I think we have to be smart and be prepared as much as possible without allowing fear to rule our lives. Yes, we are more likely than the general population to die of cancer, but then folks in Michigan are more likely to break a bone from falling on ice than those of us in Texas, but we are more likely to faint from heat stroke, or get blown away by a tornado. Life is risky, but we have to live it anyway.

Enjoy! seof

Well yes, there is truth to be found in all of our answers. Living today as if it was our LAST is not fatalistic, but a reminder to try and make this one count in a positive way. And my Dr also told me that stats don't count when our name is on them. And yet...we are generally still in some time-framed medical category. Taking Tamoxifen or Arimidex for 5 years for example. Or a so-called 5 year survival rate for this or that type of cancer. I, along with most of you, have decided not to hold my breath for 5 years ( blue isn't my color anyway!), but carry on as a survivor, take my meds, be vigilant, and rejoice that I at least have Today! And isn't that all any of us are given regardless of cancer? We may have a new normal, but it isn't a loudly ticking clock....
    Hugs,
    Claudia
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Hi Joan41,

Sounds as if you've come into some info which has set you onto a sort of 3 year counting project...

My advice is to throw that whole idea out the window! I can't imagine a more energy draining pursuit. Not something you should be worrying about. As the other ladies have said, stats mean little and it's impossible to apply them to any individual.

Consider this: I was hormone negative. I was also off the positive scale for Her2. If stats were any indication, then I wouldn't be here.

Technically (and as legal definition) the medical community counts from the date of diagnosis. No if's and's or but's. In reality,
    there are no crystal balls and no one, absolutely no one, can tell you if your cancer will come back. Period. I have seen people survive in spite of very dire prognosis after having been told to go home and get their affairs in order. I've also been unfortunate to see people lose their battle, after being handed a glowing "cured" prognosis. No rhyme or reason. While it's ok to have a handle on what may be statistically possible with our particular cancer, it's counter-productive to dwell on something as vague as statistics. I mean, how are you going to apply it to yourself? Every person is different. Every person responds to treatment differently. Many, many variables. Keep in mind that statistics are NOT called "facts" for a reason. Likelihood, possibility, a chance, a slim chance...those are vague words in my opinion. Now, words like definitely, always and on a particular date...well, I'd pay a bit more attention to that language but at the same time, I'd go ahead and assume that I'd be the one who'd fail to
    honor the facts!

When your tx is done, CELEBRATE its ending and also CELEBRATE the begining of your new life! Chanel your energies into living your best life, with the fewest worries possible...particularly concerning statistical information.

Love, light & laughter,
    Ink
  • ladybluepgh
    ladybluepgh Member Posts: 76
    Options
    I'm new here. I don't understand what triple negative means? I was a 9 year survivor til this year so I've decided that its one day at a time..no counting..just surviving..onward and forward with my life