taxotere

katie22
katie22 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
my husband is about to start a course of chemo and i was wondering about the side effects

Comments

• bertito
    bertito Member Posts: 14
    Dear taxotere, I didn't have chemo treatment. Perhaps someone who has, will give the information you need.
  • kalar7856
    kalar7856 Member Posts: 35
    Hi Katie22,

Can you give more info on his diagnoses? There are many different treatments available. Most are highly successful.

Ron C
  • bitaday
    bitaday Member Posts: 36
    Dear kaite,
    When a patient of metastasis pc is resistant to hormonthrapy, usually chemotherapy with taxoter began. Even it does not reduce psa level, it will improve survival. After two injection of taxoter , most people loose their hair ,but it will grow up again . Anorexia is the worst side effect of taxoter , but after 3-4 day it become normal. Some time some symptoms like myalsia and weakness happened. Taxoter injection is every 28 days, and it will continue for about one year. Prednisolon is prescribing with taxoter too. And zometa is infused every month and it will continue for life time.
    You have a very imporant role to make it easy for your husband. Your doctor and nursing team will inform you more and may be they will offer some medication to modify side effects.
  • katie22
    katie22 Member Posts: 2
    thanks.. he started hormone therapy last month but they want to do chemo at the same time..he will get taxotere every 3 weeks x 6. he also got zometa and was told about the prednisone i realize how important my support is so i want to be prepared...he's more worried about the nausea and weakness and whether or not he will be able to work.
  • bitaday
    bitaday Member Posts: 36
    katie22 said:

thanks.. he started hormone therapy last month but they want to do chemo at the same time..he will get taxotere every 3 weeks x 6. he also got zometa and was told about the prednisone i realize how important my support is so i want to be prepared...he's more worried about the nausea and weakness and whether or not he will be able to work.

Dear katie
    Nausea is not really severe symptom. It can be controlled by some medication which is injected the same time that taxoter is infused. May be he will have some muscle cramp or he will feel pain, but he can tolerate it. It is good for him to work and of course he will be able to work. But working hard make him tire especially if his work needs physical activity.
  • LarryHN
    LarryHN Member Posts: 5
    I just finished having HDRT followed by 5 weeks of TOMO external radiation combined with a low dose of Chemo - Taxotere weekly and a daily oral Chemo - side effect were minimal - I didn't even lose any weight (or hair)