Breast cancer biopsy

Mountainman
Mountainman Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My mother was diagnosed with a suspicious something after a mammogram and ultrasound. Now the doctor wants to perform an ultrasound guided core biopsy. I was just interested before we jump into this to know where I can find studies of cancer survicors that underwent Biopsies other than excisional biopsies. I am kind of stubborn in this case because I have heard from a few acquaintances that the they had all underwent excisional biopsies and they were then done with it. The situation is kind of difficult here with her healthcare provider which I am afraid won't budge. Anybody that has any information, I'd be really thankful.
John

Comments

• jmears
    jmears Member Posts: 266
    Hi John - I had the core biopsey and it was very easy. I'm not sure why they do one over the other except that with me the suspicious spots were in a couple different locations. So maybe they do the excisional if it is one area? Not sure. I did end up with cancer then I had a lumpectomy and that was pretty easy too. It would be nice to go in once and have it all done... just ask the doctors why one and not the other ... good luck. Bless you for looking out for your mother. Jamie
  • Mountainman
    Mountainman Member Posts: 2
    Thanks and God Bless Jmears.
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Hey John,

I believe that a core biopsy is the standard. It is very non invasive and if it is nothing you are done. One office visit for the biopsy and if you are lucky it is all over... Of course for most of us here... we found out that is was cancer and then we either had a lumpectomy or a mastetomy... but for those they need to put you to sleep and normally you are in the hospital for a night or two... So you would not want to take this trip if it is just a lump and not cancerous....

Hope this helps.. Your Mom is lucky to have a son who cares so much...

Take Care... God Bless

Susan
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    You are doing the right thing to ask questions and look out for your mother's best interests. Ask the Doctor, and if you don't get enough information that way, ask again or consider changing Doctors. I bought a Book from American Cancer Society's online bookstore which has been useful for me called...hmmm... the exact title escapes me now that I am telling you about it, something like, "A Cancer Journey" or "Journey through Cancer"...You might search their website for info also. My personal experience with biopsy: I had a lump show up 6 months after a clear mammogram that felt like a hard-boiled egg in my breast. I went to family physician, had mammogram...definitely some kind of mass there. Went to ultrasound...definitely some kind of mass there, maybe something suspicious in lymph nodes. Went to surgeon for biopsy. He explained that a core biopsy is becoming the standard because it is less invasive as a first diagnostic tool. He also said it is standard procedure in most cases because if there are no cancer cells, and the lump is small, and there is only one, it is unlikely that there would be cancer anywhere else, and that might be the end of it. In my case, since the mass was larger and lymph nodes were suspicious, he might have done a second one, but the sample was cancerous, so they proceeded with chemo, which has been successfule in reduceing the mass to date (after 8 weekly treatments). The actual procedure for the biopsy was fairly easy from a patient's standpoint. Since the mass was easy to find mannually, the Dr. did not use ultrasound to guide his hand. He gave me a topical anesthetic and a local injection of anesthetic, then inserted a large, hollow needle (it seemed about the diameter of a #2 pencil lead)and removed tissue to a depth that seemed like it went through to the other side of the mass. He used a smaller needle and got tissue from 2 other places, if memory serves. As soon as the enesthesia wore off, I went home and resumed normal activities. Doctors are learning more every day and the rate of survival is going up. Your mother is in good company and she is lucky to have a supportive son. Keep up the good work!

seof
  • BCalder
    BCalder Member Posts: 1
    Dear Mountainmen,

I was diagnosed with BC just a couple of weeks ago. My case is very similar. My Mammogram showed something suspicious. My ob-gyn then ordered a Sonogram and at the same time she sent me to a Breast Surgeon just to be safe. The Sonogram showed a lump that had rare shape on my left breast. The report said that the rare lump was suspicious and that I had a benign cyst on the right breast.

Next step the Breast Surgeon sent me for an ultrasound guided Core Biopsy only for the suspicious one. The doctor that was doing it, had some trouble because my breast is tiny (I use 34 A but even that is big for me.) She had to use 4 diferent needles (even the smallest was big for me) and hardly got tiny samples. She was worried to pinch my ribs or even the lungs. It was painful and left me with several lumps that were between painful and tender for more than 10 days.

The biopsy was ADH. Then my doctor said that beside those ADH could be DCIS so he said I needed the Surgery Biopsy.

I went for my surgery biopsy and had the lump removed. To my horror it skipped the DCIS and came out to be Invasive Lobular and Ductal Carcinoma and it showed that it was not totally removed, that it goes beyond the borders. Now I am in the process of Breast Surgeon, Oncologist and Plastic Surgeon to decide if lump or mastectomy....lymph nodes removal ...etc. etc

In conclusion my advice is the following:
    If the lump is irregular and dark instead of round and shiny (the sonogram shows this).
    If the sonogram report considers it suspicious, skip the Core Biopsy and go ahead to the Surgery Biopsy. Anyway if it is not considered clearly benign it has to be removed. The biopsywill then show exactly what it is and not just some cells(like the Core Biopsy). This way your mom will have one procedure less and find out faster if it's good or bad.

I hope it comes out ok. Good luck to your mom.

B
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    seof said:

You are doing the right thing to ask questions and look out for your mother's best interests. Ask the Doctor, and if you don't get enough information that way, ask again or consider changing Doctors. I bought a Book from American Cancer Society's online bookstore which has been useful for me called...hmmm... the exact title escapes me now that I am telling you about it, something like, "A Cancer Journey" or "Journey through Cancer"...You might search their website for info also. My personal experience with biopsy: I had a lump show up 6 months after a clear mammogram that felt like a hard-boiled egg in my breast. I went to family physician, had mammogram...definitely some kind of mass there. Went to ultrasound...definitely some kind of mass there, maybe something suspicious in lymph nodes. Went to surgeon for biopsy. He explained that a core biopsy is becoming the standard because it is less invasive as a first diagnostic tool. He also said it is standard procedure in most cases because if there are no cancer cells, and the lump is small, and there is only one, it is unlikely that there would be cancer anywhere else, and that might be the end of it. In my case, since the mass was larger and lymph nodes were suspicious, he might have done a second one, but the sample was cancerous, so they proceeded with chemo, which has been successfule in reduceing the mass to date (after 8 weekly treatments). The actual procedure for the biopsy was fairly easy from a patient's standpoint. Since the mass was easy to find mannually, the Dr. did not use ultrasound to guide his hand. He gave me a topical anesthetic and a local injection of anesthetic, then inserted a large, hollow needle (it seemed about the diameter of a #2 pencil lead)and removed tissue to a depth that seemed like it went through to the other side of the mass. He used a smaller needle and got tissue from 2 other places, if memory serves. As soon as the enesthesia wore off, I went home and resumed normal activities. Doctors are learning more every day and the rate of survival is going up. Your mother is in good company and she is lucky to have a supportive son. Keep up the good work!

seof

Thanks, seof, and all the others who replied. I'm new - just received the "word" on Wednesday (November, 7, 2007) Will meet with the cancer surgeon on the 11/19. I'm scared stiff, but your answers have made me feel a lot better. Thanks, again. Now I know I'm in the right place - Cancer Survivors.