wide awake

crazylady
crazylady Member Posts: 543 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,
It's the middle of the night and I'm wide awake. For some reason every time I have surgery I end up backwards, awake at night and wanting to sleep all day!
Does anyone have any idea as to why this happens and does it happen to any one else?
I'm trying to make myself go to bad at the same time every night and get up around the same time every morning, but it's not working. I end up falling asleep in the late afternoon and then I'm up in the middle of the night. It's not really a big deal, just frustrating!
Thanks for your help.
Jamie

Comments

• fedester
    fedester Member Posts: 753 Member
    hi jamie,
    i had the same thing happen to me. i had my hernia surgery in dec 06 and for the next 2-3 weeks i was all backwards, don't know why.
    how did the surgery go,successful i hope.
    be well
    never,ever give up!!
    bruce
  • alta29
    alta29 Member Posts: 435 Member
    same thing here...but I don't even sleep during the day...and TV after midnight sucks !!! If you are into shopping great , if not....blockbuster helps...
  • apache4
    apache4 Member Posts: 272 Member
    This happened to me after my colon surgery and my hysterectomy also. My theory is that in the hospital you get woken up so much at night for blood work that it is hard to go back to normal as your body anticipates those wake-ups that were done in the hospital. I forced myself to stay awake during the day, got so tired I would go to sleep around 9, after reading, and slept well. Other times, I might take a really short nap and get right up and busy until bedtime. Again, to tire me out.
  • rthornton
    rthornton Member Posts: 346 Member
    My sleep schedule gets really whacked out by chemotherapy, so a long time ago I started regulating my sleeping habits with Ambien and Ativan. Now I have a dependency on these sleep aids ... just another thing to deal with on the road to recovery, I guess. If I don't take an Ambien at night, it is as if a little engine is running inside of me and sleep does not happen. Then, the next day it will all catch up with me.

I rarely had issues with my sleep schedule before cancer.
  • Patrusha
    Patrusha Member Posts: 487
    Hi Jamie,

I've posted myself in the middle of the night post-surgeries. I'm told it has to do with the anesthesia from the surgery, which can take weeks to get out of your system, as well as the pain pills we take post-surgery.

This too shall pass. Just hang in there!
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Ever since my diagnosis I sleep no more than 4 hours on any given night. Weekends, weekdays, doesn't matter. Now if I get more sleep than that, I simply cannot function throughout the day...it's like I got too much sleep (as odd as that sounds)

Maybe in time your "clock" will change.

Good luck,

Stacy
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Greetings from the midnight blogger!!
    My sleep pattern gets way out of synch on chemo. Normally I enjoy a full night of unbroken sleep. Not on Chemo. If I go to bed at 10 or 11, I wake up after two hours and have difficulty getting back to sleep.
    I sleep-in and take naps. Fortunately I'm off work for now so this is not a problem.
    Sleepless in Vancouver... Rob