confused about liver mets

Options
Aim136
Aim136 Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Last year at age 31, I had stage 2b BC grade 3 her2 neg. ER neg. Had 6 rounds of TAC then lumpectomy, reexcision, 35 radiation tx. During lumpectomy Lymph nodes were tested several times to make sure but no involvment. Now 1 year later I have a check up with PET scan & had to have a CT scan because of spots on my liver. I don't get it I thought 1st of all that cancer didn't spread without being in lymph nodes & 2nd I thought liver was last place it usually goes! I know cancer is never 100%, but I'm just confused. I find out tomarrow if the spot requires a liver biopsy. Can anyone help me with my confusion?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Hello Aim. Sorry to hear that you are having further problems. I had 2 breast cancers (one on each side) and my doctors told me that the two were not 'connected'. Even though I had nodes involved on both sided, they were two different types of cancer.
    IF this is cancer in your liver, it may not be caused by or connected to your breast cancer at all. The fact that your immune system could not block the cancer in your breast may suggest that it is not able to block it anywhere else in your body either. That is why 'once a cancer risk, always a cancer risk'.
    But do not loose heart my friend. I am a 21 year cancer survivor and you can be too.
    God bless.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed with my first cancer (rectal), they found 3 'spots' on my liver...now, this is pretty normal for colorectal cancer...so it was investigated to the point that while my surgeon was in removing my rectum, he took a direct peek. End of story? Every CT scan/whatever these 3 spots are noted.

That said, congrats to your doc that he/she is being vigilant. Like Za said, once this thing attacks your immune system, it's easier to have another sneak thru the door....my second cancer (breast) came 6 months after the rectal...they know it's not related, it was a completely different kind of cancer...

Did the PET light up the spots?

Hugs, Kathi
  • Aim136
    Aim136 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    KathiM said:

When I was diagnosed with my first cancer (rectal), they found 3 'spots' on my liver...now, this is pretty normal for colorectal cancer...so it was investigated to the point that while my surgeon was in removing my rectum, he took a direct peek. End of story? Every CT scan/whatever these 3 spots are noted.

That said, congrats to your doc that he/she is being vigilant. Like Za said, once this thing attacks your immune system, it's easier to have another sneak thru the door....my second cancer (breast) came 6 months after the rectal...they know it's not related, it was a completely different kind of cancer...

Did the PET light up the spots?

Hugs, Kathi

The PET is where we started. He did that just for a 1 year check & a spot, although small, lit up so he sent me for a CT to check that. I get those results today & if the spot is on the CT I have a liver biopsy by CT. My onc. said this is recurrence if it is cancer on my liver-I ask him point blank if this was BC in the liver or liver cancer. I guess thats the part I don't understand-I'd get it if it were a different cancer although would be VERY upset. I'm trying to hold out hope for a misread on PET (1 of onc. suggestion).
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Aim136 said:

The PET is where we started. He did that just for a 1 year check & a spot, although small, lit up so he sent me for a CT to check that. I get those results today & if the spot is on the CT I have a liver biopsy by CT. My onc. said this is recurrence if it is cancer on my liver-I ask him point blank if this was BC in the liver or liver cancer. I guess thats the part I don't understand-I'd get it if it were a different cancer although would be VERY upset. I'm trying to hold out hope for a misread on PET (1 of onc. suggestion).

Sometimes cancer travels through the blood stream rather than the lymph system. Sometimes it goes through the lymph nodes in the ribs rather than under the arm (most common but not the only route). I have read of cases where it was bc in the liver and the doctors did surgery to remove a solitary spot with great results. In any case, don't give up hope. I have a friend that has beat it back by having surgery or radiation everytime the stuff takes root (along with chemo when indicated)and she's at 20 years plus as a survivor. Of course, they don't know it is cancer until they see it under a microscope, so I will hope it is a misread too! ((((((hugs and prayers!)))))
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    It seems to me cancer has a mind of its own, though I still refuse to grant it the honor of capitalizing the name. About the only thing that seemed consistent about the Doctor's reports the 5 years my Sister was a survivor was that they all agreed her cancer was not doing what they expected it to do. Mine seems much more docile and predictable so far. Doctors are making great strides in diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, and everything else they can possibly learn about combatting it by the day. My only "answer" is to keep on asking questions and keep on doing all I can to live as well as I can as long as I can, and depend on God and the people he has put in my life who support me. seof