Hair loss

Bond008
Bond008 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My hair fell out right after the 1st chemo treatment and has been growing right back and I just took my 5th treatment. Does anyone know if this is an indication that chemo is not working?

Comments

• Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Not to worry, sometime hair manages to grow back... Mine grew back a little a couple of times... but then stopped growing again further into treatment. If you are concern talk to your Onc... but I am sure that everything is fine.... All of our bodies deal with treatment differently.

Take Care... God Bless...

Susan
  • lovonna
    lovonna Member Posts: 78
    Like Susan said-not to worry. Chemo does not kill the roots of our hair, it weakens the shaft of our hair and then the hair falls out.

God Bless, LoVonna
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    lovonna said:

Like Susan said-not to worry. Chemo does not kill the roots of our hair, it weakens the shaft of our hair and then the hair falls out.

God Bless, LoVonna

I agree, don't worry. Talk to your doctor. I am one of the fortunate few who have very few side effects. After the 3rd treatment I was not losing any hair and was not tired or feeling sick. I thought maybe that meant the chemo was too weak and was not working. The Doctor did a manual exam and felt the lump...he said it was reduced by half...unusually fast reaction after just 3 treatments. He said the hairloss may happen more slowly for me, and lack of side-effects was no indication of how well the drugs are working. Today I had treatment # 6. my hair started coming out slowly and has continued thinning since treatment #4. I am starting to experience "chemo brain"...some word-finding problems and inability to stay focused on difficult tasks, but not much else so far. Each person is an individual and we each have different cancers and different treatments. We are unique. The Doctor is the best source of info. for what is best in YOUR situation.

For what it's worth, seof