chemo and menopause

Options
Unknown
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I just finished 8 cycles of Folfox 4 and was wondering how women are dealing with the mentruation/menopause issue. I was "peri-menopausal" prior to chemo...I'll be 49 in a few months and wondering if I am menopausal or not. I know I'll need to find out from my gyn., but I wanted to hear from others how chemo affected their menstration cycle.
Thank you,
Marge

Comments

• catherine58
    catherine58 Member Posts: 92
    Options
    I'm exactly the same age as you (49 next month) and am about to embark on cycle no 6 of Folfox. I had one period as normal during treatment but the second is now 10 days late and I have no pre-menstrual symptoms (I had regular periods before having cancer). Also, I have started having hot flushes (never had these before). My oncologist said that Folfox was unlikely to bring on the menopause in younger women but might accelerate it in those of our age. On the other hand my periods might come back after I've finished with chemo. Not sure which to hope for! I believe there is a blood test to confirm whether you are menopausal/peri-menopausal.

Interesting that you only had 8 cycles of Folfox. Did your oncologist explain why? I'm having 9 but I gather that the usual protocol in the US is 12 (I live in the UK where they are about to start a clinical trial doing only 6).

Best wishes, Catherine
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Hi Marge,

Congratulations on finishing your chemo!!! That is always a huge reason for celebration.

I was perimenopausal when I started chemo, but it threw me into full menopause. There is a blood test that measures FSH (whatever that means) and it can tell you whether you are in full menopause. Mine came back 27.5 in December (I started chemo in October), and this reading said I should have no more periods. So when I started what seemed to be a normal period last month, I saw my onc and was diagnosed with endometrial cancer. So DO get your FSH checked so you know if there are red flags down the road.

I expect to hear that you are NED soon!

Kirsten
  • sladich
    sladich Member Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Marge,

I was also 49. My period stopped after the first Folfox treatment. I didn't have one the entire time I was on chemo. After 6 months of being off Folfox I had one period. I then had a recurrence and went on chemo again. This stopped my period and I haven't had one since. It's been over a year now. I love it! One good thing about chemo.

Debbie
  • tkd3g
    tkd3g Member Posts: 767
    Options
    Hi Marge,

Well, after radiation for rectal ca and then surgery which removed my "fried up ovaries and tubes" I went into instant menopause.

Not a fun ride. Hot flashes and night sweats were the worst. I gained at least 30 pounds seemingly overnight. ( it was probably 3 months)

The best part of the whole experience is that I don't have a trace of a period anymore!!! Yippie :)

This happened when I was 43 years old.

Talk to your doc.

Feel well,

Barb
  • Unknown
    Options

I'm exactly the same age as you (49 next month) and am about to embark on cycle no 6 of Folfox. I had one period as normal during treatment but the second is now 10 days late and I have no pre-menstrual symptoms (I had regular periods before having cancer). Also, I have started having hot flushes (never had these before). My oncologist said that Folfox was unlikely to bring on the menopause in younger women but might accelerate it in those of our age. On the other hand my periods might come back after I've finished with chemo. Not sure which to hope for! I believe there is a blood test to confirm whether you are menopausal/peri-menopausal.

Interesting that you only had 8 cycles of Folfox. Did your oncologist explain why? I'm having 9 but I gather that the usual protocol in the US is 12 (I live in the UK where they are about to start a clinical trial doing only 6).

Best wishes, Catherine

Catherine,
    Thank you for your reply! I have not had a period since I started chemo! I was beginning menopause with some symptoms. I kind of hoping that maybe the chemo stopped that for me! I was suppose to have 8-10 cycles of chemo. My oncologist, I live in Baltimore, Maryland USA, said that research doesn't see a big difference between 8 and 10, so he thought I would be fine with 8. I guess because it's adjuvant therapy and my tumor is gone.
    Best wishes to you and hopes for a speedy recovery.
  • Unknown
    Options
    kmygil said:

Hi Marge,

Congratulations on finishing your chemo!!! That is always a huge reason for celebration.

I was perimenopausal when I started chemo, but it threw me into full menopause. There is a blood test that measures FSH (whatever that means) and it can tell you whether you are in full menopause. Mine came back 27.5 in December (I started chemo in October), and this reading said I should have no more periods. So when I started what seemed to be a normal period last month, I saw my onc and was diagnosed with endometrial cancer. So DO get your FSH checked so you know if there are red flags down the road.

I expect to hear that you are NED soon!

Kirsten

Thank you for your response! I'm sorry you have to go through more with your new diagnosis. I will ask my gyn for that test.
    Best wishes for your recovery!
    Marge
  • Unknown
    Options
    sladich said:

Marge,

I was also 49. My period stopped after the first Folfox treatment. I didn't have one the entire time I was on chemo. After 6 months of being off Folfox I had one period. I then had a recurrence and went on chemo again. This stopped my period and I haven't had one since. It's been over a year now. I love it! One good thing about chemo.

Debbie

I know what you mean about the silver lining of chemo!!! I hope that's what is going to happen for me. Thanks for your comments!
    marge
  • Unknown
    Options
    tkd3g said:

Hi Marge,

Well, after radiation for rectal ca and then surgery which removed my "fried up ovaries and tubes" I went into instant menopause.

Not a fun ride. Hot flashes and night sweats were the worst. I gained at least 30 pounds seemingly overnight. ( it was probably 3 months)

The best part of the whole experience is that I don't have a trace of a period anymore!!! Yippie :)

This happened when I was 43 years old.

Talk to your doc.

Feel well,

Barb

Thank you, Barb. I'll speak to my doctor. You're right about the "no period." That's maybe the silver lining from the whole cancer piece.
    Marge