To Wig or not to Wig...

seof
seof Member Posts: 819 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm recently diagnosed (about 1 month). I start chemo next week and am trying to decide if it would be worth it to spend the money for a wig. I have heard many say they started with them, then gave up because of some type of discomfort, or just getting more comfortable with hairloss. How many of you have or have not used wigs, and why? Thanks for sharing!

Comments

• Annabelle3
    Annabelle3 Member Posts: 10
    All along I wanted a wig. I spent $400 on it, had it trimmed to match my face nice and because of all of the chemicals in the chemo, my face broke out and I couldn't wear it. And they would not let me take it back. Every time I put it on I had hives. That was just my experience. A girl at work is going through it now and she's had a wig and she loved it. And it looked very good on her. I ended up doing the scarf method, which I said I would never do but it was actually okay and very comfortable.

Good luck!!!!

Ann Marie
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I am the first to admit that I am a Vain Woman! I went out and bought a wig right away! At a Beauty Supply store, where they were most gracious, and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. I needed it to hold onto my own sense of femininity. No one else cared if I was bald, wore caps ( I never did that) or Bandanas ( I wore bandanas most of the time) What I wore MOST of the time was synthetic "bangs" which was held on by an elastic band, and meant to be worn with hats or bandanas. What I did was turn it around and wear the bangs as a flip..it covered my neck, and of course I wore a bandana over it. I felt just fine and almost not bald! I ordered it through the TLC catalog sent to me by the ACS. It was truly a vanity saver for me! I saved my wig for special occasions. No one really cares if we are bald or not, and I mean it sincerely. Generally WE care, and that is why we wear them! That having been said...get a bunch of colored bandanas, as it is summertime and wigs are HOT, HOT, HOT! I don't know your age, but chemo can also bring on menopause and its hot-flashes~you don't need a hot wig to add to the discomfort.
    Cancer is not a crime...and your hair will come back again. I suggest you get a "just in case" wig! I hope that helps! For the record....more than a wig during chemo, you need to drink water! sip sip sip---keep your system hydrated and flushed. Happy Healing, Survivor!
    Claudia
  • Baby13
    Baby13 Member Posts: 11
    It all about presonal preference and what makes your heart purr. Certainly we've all felt the need to replace our hair, if for no other reason to maintain some semblance of normal. HA! never again (: Anyway, I bought 2, how often did I actually wear them, not very. Some days I really wanted to feel pretty and swing hair and others it just wasn't on top of my list of important stuff today. I'm with Claudia, its summer and it's hot hot hot. I too started my chemo during the summer (6/06) and some days will be better than others. I say if it'll make you feel like a million bucks do it! if it'll just add to your list of day to day decisions, or discomfort (if any), dismiss it. God knows we have so much more going on. Keep your head up with or without hair ( :
    Much love and Prayers Sandra
  • Future
    Future Member Posts: 133 Member
    If you are thinking of a wig check your insurance coverage - if your doctor orders a cranial prothesis (wig) your insurance may cover it. I wore a wig - for me it was to avoid the multiple questions or ask for special waivers since I'm military. Also my daughter was getting married and I wanted focus to be on her and not have this bald lady distract from her day. If I have to do it again I think I'd go with the scarves (now authorized to wear with your uniform).
  • PatM
    PatM Member Posts: 16
    I got a wig, a really nice one and I've been glad I did. I'm finished with chemo now and my hair is starting to grow back - very slowly. I work with the public and kids, especially and thought it was important to have a wig. But even if that wasn't the case, I would have worn a wig. I just am not comfortable being seen with no hair. But I know people who feel differently.
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    For me it was to Wig. I just didn't want people to think of me a being sick. I bought expensive wigs to begin with... but found that the best wigs that I had came from the internet, from Paula Young. I have the web site shown here.
    http://www.paulayoung.com

They only cost about $30 each versus $400 for many wigs that you get locally. I only stumbled into them after I had long been into treatment, because a lady that was in chemo with me always wore a wig that I thought looked so natural... that I asked her where she got hers....

I will warn you that they are hot... but I was diagnosed in May 2005 and I wore a wig from July 5, 2005 until my hair grew back anytime I was out of the house. And yes I do remember the specific day that I lost my hair... funny I found that harder than anything else about treatment. But remember it is only temporary...My hair is back as wonderful and as ever now... and I never complain about the time it takes to fix it anymore... Funny how life makes us appreciate things ....

Take Care... God Bless...

Susan
  • newboobs
    newboobs Member Posts: 121
    I had a wig and wore it to work with clients for the first time (I"m in real estate). Other than that I wore scarves and hats. Call your local ACS office and go to a "Look Good Feel Better" program. They'll teach you all about skincare, how to care for your scalp, how to tie scarves, etc. Plus you get a box of free makeup!
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    When I was first diagnosed, my "more experienced" friends told me about wigs and gave me numbers for agencies that would provide one either free or low-cost. Synthetic were cheaper too. Some people's insurance covered wigs. Mine, so I was told, did not. I ended up not needing chemo or a wig, but if I did, I would check out the possibility of trying the cheaper options first. Most of my friends only wore the wig to church or to weddings. The rest of the time they found scarves to be more comfortable. One teacher at my school survived a year of chemo wearing a baseball cap. She explained the obvious to her middle school students and boss and never had a problem with getting too hot. (Those teens get you steamed up enough without a wig!!!)
  • babs49242
    babs49242 Member Posts: 193
    SEOF~ I was given 3 different wigs.I only wore one for an hour on sunday when I went to church. Other wise I wore doorags. My kids and grandson didn't like the wigs and would pull them OFF my head! So I was better off without one. I must say tho, they were 'warm' in the winter time...a good hat! hahahaha I liked the "G I JANE " look.
    best wishes in your treatments.
    Bunches of hugs...
    Cindie
  • kbc4869
    kbc4869 Member Posts: 159
    Hi Seof,

My insurance covered up to $1000 in wigs, so I went on a shopping spree and bought three -- one human hair, one synthetic, and something else (can't remember what it was). I was quite vain at the time, and thought I'd never be caught without hair.

Was I wrong! I wore the wigs a total of three times. I found them itchy, hot, and prone to sliding around. I was told that they didn't, but I always felt like I had to keep checking to make sure it was on straight! I actually had a couple of friends at work that got a kick out of making me think during meetings that my hair was crooked! LOL. May I also add that my cats, thinking they were toys, attacked and mauled them, so they weren't wearable most of the time anyway. I also felt like I was trying to pull something over on people; pretending I was something I was not. I went with bandanas most of the time and it felt more honest to me that way; more on my own terms. But that's just me.

Do whatever makes you feel good! Best of luck to you!

Kim

p.s. You got me thinking of a funny story about one of the times I did wear my wig -- at my grandfather's funeral.

My 92-year-old grandmother asked that I wear it so I'd look nice. Let me also add that she had kept her wigs from the 50's and used to express mail them to me in case I wanted to wear them: they were grey and smelly, and I was a blonde-haired 34 year old at the time . . .

So, for the first part of the funeral, I wore the wig. I got hot and itchy and just couldn't stand it any longer, so I went to the bathroom and put on my hat instead. When I returned, my grandmother was visibily uncomfortable.

In the receiving line, I stood next to her to greet people. With each person who came down the line (about 20), she'd introduce me each time with "Hi, this is my granddaughter. She wears the hat. Kim - can I tell them why you wear the hat?" LOL. As if she was afraid that people would think that I shaved my head as a fashion statement! She was and is quite a character! Just wanted to share.
  • Bunnysmama
    Bunnysmama Member Posts: 3
    Hi seof,

Wigs are definitely a matter of personal preference, but you won't know if you'll feel comfortable in one until you try. When I was diagnosed (Nov. '06) I had really long hair, so I thought a wig would help lessen the trauma of losing it. One tip I learned when I went for a wig fitting is that long wigs are very difficult to maintain so it's best to go for a relatively short style. I was also told that synthetic wigs require far less maintenance than real hair wigs. So I found a really nice mid-length synthetic wig (by Raquel Welch), got it trimmed up, and brought it home. I put it on once to show my husband and daughter and to see how it felt. I lasted about 10 minutes in it before I put it back in the box, and that's where it's been ever since. It looked like hair when I looked in the mirror, but it felt like a hot messy hat. I felt like I was trying to be something or someone I wasn't. There didn't seem to be a point in pretending I haven't lost my hair due to chemotherapy treatment for cancer. It just seemed like if I walked out of the house, everyone who saw me would know it was a wig and that would make me feel far more self-conscious than anything else. Once you get the wig trimmed you can't return it, so I was very fortunate that my insurance company covered the $450 cost of it.

I've felt far more comfortable in hats and scarves. As newboobs mentioned, I went to a "Look Good Feel Better" class and learned some tips and tricks for tying scarves because I didn't have a clue how to do it at first. If you haven't already, I would absolutely encourage you to sign up for a class in your area. Not only did I get tips on headwraps, I came home with a giant bag of fun makeup.

On the flip side, I have a friend who is going through treatment right now who is a teacher. She didn't want her students to know what was going on with her, so she chose to wear wigs and loves them. Her students haven't noticed the change and she finds them very comfortable.

When my hair finally does grow back to the point where I can get rid of my hats and scarves, along with my brand-new still-in-the-box wig, I'm planning to donate them to the center where I had treatment so someone else can use them who may not be able to afford them otherwise. Oh, and in case you have long hair and haven't cut it off yet, please consider donating it to Locks of Love.

Best of luck to you! Big hugs!
  • jdubious
    jdubious Member Posts: 113
    hello,
    I went with a wig, at least until my hair started growing back. I mostly wore it in public, and it was winter, so temperature wasn't an issue for me.

I agree about the Paula Young wigs - they are inexpensive and they look good. My favorite wig was a "headband" wig. It had a headband (duh) with hair attached (mine was sort of a straight bob, below the ear length) and it had removable bangs. I could put a scarf over the headband for a different look, or to match an outfit. I also had a raquel welch wig, and it looked good - people were always telling me what a great haircut I had - even my sister-in-law wanted to know who was doing my hair - she thought that I was one of the few whose hair didn't fall out!

For huge selection, there are thousands (and thousands and thousands) of wigs on Ebay. If you see one in a catalog or on-line, check out ebay for pricing - it might be cheaper. These are new wigs - just check out the seller feedback before purchasing (like any other ebay item). If you have to choose between a color that is darker or lighter than your own, I would suggest lighter - for some reason going darker seemed to look more "wiggy, wiglike, wigish" - at least on me.

I quit wearing my wigs as soon as I had visible hair. It came back snow white, so it was a while before it was visible on my pasty white head! I sort of miss the wigs - they always looked good without any work!
    jill
  • mssue
    mssue Member Posts: 242
    Hi Seof,

I haven't been on in awhile but when I saw your post I thought I'd put in my 2 cents...I bought a Raquel Welch wig - it is still gorgeous. I ordered it on the internet,matched color and all. I loved it most people didn't even know, which made me more comfortable being out and about. Everyone seems to be against them or something,but I had no problems with mine - it was light and breathable for summer,no problems in winter either cause my head was covered. I still bought and used hats and scarfs occasionally. Don't get me wrong I missed my real hair but the wig was the easiest and fastest fix when getting ready for work or whatever,just pop it on and go! lol
    Anyway the site I went to was www.wigs.com I got it before my hair came out so I could try and carry on my life as normal as possible.

It is a personal decision, I am sorry U were diagnosed with that being said U are in a good place for support. My thoughts and prayers are with U Honey!
    Hugs
    Sue
  • JUSTAWORD
    JUSTAWORD Member Posts: 18
    Well I bought a Wig.. synthetic hair $130. looks real has highlights and only wear it to work. When i am home I dont wear my plastic boob nor my wig. only wear the boob when i am outside. I hate hats and wigs, but i stuck it out at work anyways. but it does get hot and sometimes if i touch my wig it slides slightly off my head, i guess cuz my own hair is growing back so that s alittle akward. but the bottom line, it never hurts to have it just incase a special occasion, or it may even lift your spirts.. my good thoughts and prayers your way..
  • pmillr2000
    pmillr2000 Member Posts: 26
    I didn't have to do chemo, so this was not an issue for me. Had it been, I think I might have had some fun with it. Maybe get some outrageous wigs or something. I wear hats, anyway, so that would be a natural thing for me. I have a friend that got wigs that looked so much like her natural hair, most people didn't know she was bald! And she was NEVER seen without one! I think it's just a matter of personal preference.

Patty
  • sshortcakes
    sshortcakes Member Posts: 3
    seof, I am newly diagnosed, surgery too... I start chemo tomorrow.. I have an autistic 5 year old that doesnt understand.. so to reduce the trauma to him ( and to me too) we are having our heads buzzed together.. next week. For me its my way of having control over my hair..it will still be gone, but on MY terms, not the chemos. In the meantime, Im thinking since I am doing this by choice the wig thing wont be as much an issue as it would if the chemo took the hair.. but hey, what do I know, Im new to all this.
  • kal07
    kal07 Member Posts: 1
    seof,
    I am fortunate enough to work in a career field where I get to wear a scrub cap (I am a pharmacy tech), so I chose not to wear a wig. Before I was diagnosed with breast cancer I wore baseball caps all of the time, now that I have no hair, I have found that buffs (I have a yellow survivor one)are more comfortable. It's all a personal choice, whatever makes you feel comfortable with your appearance.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    This is update from seof:
    Thanks for sharing all your experiences. I have had my 6th chemo treatment and my hairloss has been slow, but inescapable. I got a free wig from the local ACS. My Sister-in-law helped style it. It is short, red, and curly...different from my short, straight dirty-blonde look, but I think it will be fun. I have also discovered that I like hats and look good in them. I expect I will use the wig mainly for special occasions and work. I work for a school where the dress code prohibits headgear indoors for students and teachers alike. While I think the administration would make an exception for me, a bald head or a hat would make me stand out in the crowd and result in inevitable questions from students and teachers till they get used to me. The wig will give me more control over when and whether I have to answer questions. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for sharing, seof