Gemzar stopped due to low platelet count

nicol06810
nicol06810 Member Posts: 18
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi ladies...I was supposed to have my 3rd chemo treatment today but was told I couldn't because my platlet count was too low. Anyone else out there experience this? I know some chemos can cause this but this is the first time I have been told I could not have my treatment. Sounds silly but I was kind of let down. I have to admit that I am usually stressed when I am not on chemo and calmer when I am taking it. When I am not having some kind of treatment I am constantly worrying about the cancer coming back and when I am on the chemo I am relaxed because I know the chemo is fighting the cancer. Sounds strange doesn't it?!?! Well next week is my week off before I start the next round (I am 3 weeks on and 1 week off)so hopefully in the next two weeks the platelets will replenish themselves. Very interested if this has happened to anyone else and how it might have effected treatment. Thanks!....Sending lots of hugs and prayers to all my fellow chemo warriors!

Comments

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Yes, certainly if it is that low they don't want to risk another treatment until it comes up. Have they talked about shots (such as Procrit) to help the situation? Don't be too discouraged. In the meantime, try to get plenty of rest, eat well and avoid stress (if possible). Your levels will probably come back up and you'll be able to continue soon. Keep us posted!
    (((HUGS)))
    Monika
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Hi Nicol, It is not uncommon to have chemo delayed a week or so for your blood to come back on its own. And like yourself the first time it happened I was disappointed but you get use to it. I did get shots for wbc and rbc and even transfusions a few times, but also have just waited another week to see if they come up and they usually do. Sending lots of Hugs N Prayers back to you also. BonnieRose
  • floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    Hi Nicole, I'm on Gemzar as well. On my 1st tx,after all three were given I wound up in the hospital for the flu, where they noted my WBC's were way to low. So on my off week I had 3 shots of Neupogen, and my count came right up. I haven't had any more problems since. I'm on the same schedule as you 3 weeks on and 1 off..I just started my 5th cycle. All my blood work is great, my onc said it is a good if not better than a patient not on chemo!!! I would also take Mopar advice and ask about a shot to help the platelet counts. Have you spoke to your Dr. about the anxiety you have when your not on chemo?? he may be able to suggest something or get a RX to help you during those times. We all know how you feel about every little pain or cough, has you wondering about the cancer!!! I use Elavil for night sweats but it also helps with depression, so maybe it helps me deal with the mind games this disease plays on you. Good luck, I'll be saying prayers for you (((hugz)))..Joanne
  • paula2
    paula2 Member Posts: 162
    Hi Nicol,
    In March, I hurried home from a trip to see the grandbaby, only to be told that my WBC count was too low to take the treatment and I would have to delay one week. I had the same emotions as you, feeling let down and helpless to fight the cancer without chemo.
    I have a good friend who is surviving a recurrence of CNS Lymphoma. She has experienced 3 delays for low wbc count and now is having to put off treatment because of a low platelet count. She gets pretty down when this happens, so I imagine what we are feeling is normal. The doc was not willing to take chances, and in this case, I have to agree that he knows best.
    Hang in there, keep the communication going with your doctor if you are worried about the 2 week break, maybe he will step it up.
    Good luck!
    Paula2
  • teaandsoda
    teaandsoda Member Posts: 1
    paula2 said:

Hi Nicol,
    In March, I hurried home from a trip to see the grandbaby, only to be told that my WBC count was too low to take the treatment and I would have to delay one week. I had the same emotions as you, feeling let down and helpless to fight the cancer without chemo.
    I have a good friend who is surviving a recurrence of CNS Lymphoma. She has experienced 3 delays for low wbc count and now is having to put off treatment because of a low platelet count. She gets pretty down when this happens, so I imagine what we are feeling is normal. The doc was not willing to take chances, and in this case, I have to agree that he knows best.
    Hang in there, keep the communication going with your doctor if you are worried about the 2 week break, maybe he will step it up.
    Good luck!
    Paula2

Hi, I know how you feel. i went today for my second treatment and was told that my WBC was too low. i was let down. I am on the same plan as you, 3 weeks on and 1 week off. I asked about a shot to help but my oncologist is out of town on vacation.so no shot this time. I was told no fresh fruit and veggies due to bacteria on them. I also can't peel veggies. life can be hard some days. I try to take it one day at a time. Also fight this disease with all I have in me.We can not be quitters. We must fight the fight and win. I think one week off will not hurt you. I am just trying to not worry about it and go on.today is my first day here, so I am a newbie,lol. sending hugs and love your way.keep talking to your Dr..teaandsoda