I"m New here...

Options
debi425
debi425 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just had my breast removed 3 weeks ago..I'm so sore and so tired of hurting. I know my battle has just began. I did go to the chemo doctor yesterday. He told me he was going to give me time to heal because I had so much SWELLING..he said my body was reacting to the trama of removing my breast..he did make me *SMILE*..when I ask him why..he said your body doesn't know if it has just been in a TRAIN WRECK..Airplane Accident or had a Mastectomy!....I'd like any information I can get about how to get my body ready for Chemo...any vitimans good for you?..any foods recomended?...any advise I'd welcome...Debi
TO: Cancer Survivors ...Friends are angels who lift our feet, when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the family!

I LOVE the quote...so true!

The pain will lessen...but I agree with your doctor....smiling is GREAT exercise! I find at least one thing everyday to laugh about.

Eat a well balanced diet. From now on. And ramp up the anti-oxidents like Vitamin C...pump up your immune system...

Lay in a suppy of water....I drank 4 quarts the day before, day of, and day after infusion...REALLY helped!!!

Realize this is all temporary. Your spirit is changing as much as your body...many people are (now, don't laugh) actually grateful for the experience...because of the lessons learned about slowing down, enjoying life. But it is, none the less, a heck of a fight....and pity parties are DEFINATELY part of it....just come here and let US join the party!!!!

Start a folder of all of your medical stuff. Labs, paths, results of scans, etc...you are entitled to this...I have 2...one for my rectal cancer, one for my breast cancer.....I can take them anywhere for a 2nd opinion or whatever...it's a good medical record!

Hugs, kathi
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Research is showing that survivors who get regular exercise have more years in their life and more life in their years. In other words, it's a win-win situation. No jumping jacks or marathons here. I'm talking about walking, yoga,swimming, or whatever you find enjoyable. Start easy, but make it a daily habit. Sometimes you may not feel like walking more than around the house, but do what you can when you can. When I had my mastectomy, the hospital I went to gave me stretching exercises to begin 24 hours after surgery. The gentle movements helped reduce the swelling and retrained my injured body. Then I graduated to walking. It took months before I was ready for much more, but now yoga, spinning, weight-lifting, and cardio workouts are on my weekly agenda (something everyday!). It really helps with the depression and the side effects of the AI's and surgery. My friends on chemo said that a short walk twice a day helped them too when they couldn't do more. Now they walk several miles and do yoga. Good luck and prayers your way!

Carol
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    Debi,

Welcome to our crew... We are a pretty funny crew who have lived thought lots of bumps and bruises and come out stronger on the other side.... I used the time before chemo to try to set my house in order... because I knew the chemo would make me tried.... I tried to eat as well as I could before chemo... and then during chemo I ate everything that tasted good to me.

Try to set up a place where you can chill out... for me a friend of mine put up a bird feeder right out in front of my breakfast nook window... it was a blessing when I was too tired to do much else.... Try to find little things to enjoy... and the most important thing to remember is that this is temporary. You will be back to your normal life before too long.

Take Care... God Bless...... and try to find reasons to laugh....

Susan
  • LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Options
    Hi Debi. YOu have received some excellent advice. I agree with all of it. Especially exercise. The evidence is overwhelming. AFter my surgery, I could not even walk down the road. Now, 2 years later, I run/walk 50 miles a week. During chemo you will probably be told to stop all supplements except a multivitamin. So, now is the time to upgrade your eating habits. Diana Dyer, a dietician and 3-time cancer survivor, recommends 9 or more servings of fruit and veggies a day. She has a website, www.cancerrd.com. My oncology dietician endorses everything Diana says. I actually eat over 20 servings of fruit and veggies a day. The Johns Hopkins team recommends an ounce of brocolli sprouts a day. Chemo will probably make you feel dreadful. Your best defense is a healthy body.

Best of luck. Drop by anytime with specific questions.

Hugs.

Lesley
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    LesleyH said:

Hi Debi. YOu have received some excellent advice. I agree with all of it. Especially exercise. The evidence is overwhelming. AFter my surgery, I could not even walk down the road. Now, 2 years later, I run/walk 50 miles a week. During chemo you will probably be told to stop all supplements except a multivitamin. So, now is the time to upgrade your eating habits. Diana Dyer, a dietician and 3-time cancer survivor, recommends 9 or more servings of fruit and veggies a day. She has a website, www.cancerrd.com. My oncology dietician endorses everything Diana says. I actually eat over 20 servings of fruit and veggies a day. The Johns Hopkins team recommends an ounce of brocolli sprouts a day. Chemo will probably make you feel dreadful. Your best defense is a healthy body.

Best of luck. Drop by anytime with specific questions.

Hugs.

Lesley

I almost forgot about the broccosprouts! I go to Johns Hopkins too and they told me about them. I could buy them at most of the major grocers around here, but I preferred to grow my own in a canning jar. Just be sure to sterilize the jar before starting the sprouts. They are great with salad or on top of soup. They have a great concentration of the stuff found in broccoli, but you would have to eat pounds of the broccoli to get what you get in a quarter cup of sprouts a day. Much as I like broccoli, I couldn't face a pound a day. . .
  • msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 9
    Options
    cabbott said:

I almost forgot about the broccosprouts! I go to Johns Hopkins too and they told me about them. I could buy them at most of the major grocers around here, but I preferred to grow my own in a canning jar. Just be sure to sterilize the jar before starting the sprouts. They are great with salad or on top of soup. They have a great concentration of the stuff found in broccoli, but you would have to eat pounds of the broccoli to get what you get in a quarter cup of sprouts a day. Much as I like broccoli, I couldn't face a pound a day. . .

Hi. I,m new here too, but I am 13 yr. survivor and just want to help others get through the rough times, cause it does get better after awhile but it is normal to have your pity party, I had a left mastectomy while preparing to get married, and laughter and lots of prayer got me through, family is a great part of my recovery, also I ate lots of fruit, veggies, and vitamins, I still take vitamin C 1000mg then now 500mg, and multi vitamins with everything included, lots of rest, hang in there, take it from a long time survivor. msphil
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    msphil said:

Hi. I,m new here too, but I am 13 yr. survivor and just want to help others get through the rough times, cause it does get better after awhile but it is normal to have your pity party, I had a left mastectomy while preparing to get married, and laughter and lots of prayer got me through, family is a great part of my recovery, also I ate lots of fruit, veggies, and vitamins, I still take vitamin C 1000mg then now 500mg, and multi vitamins with everything included, lots of rest, hang in there, take it from a long time survivor. msphil

13 years!!! FABULOUS!!!! I'm looking forward to saying that 12 years from now!!!

Hugs Kathi
  • debi425
    debi425 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    HI from Debi
    Thanks for all the information..It really helps to know there are people out there like me..who have gone through this and still are LIVING!..that is my goal..and everyone here. I went and got my port put in Friday..wowowow...am I sore as a milking cow...*SMILE*..one breast is gone and under reconstruction and the other one has a port put up above it...I look like a freight train hit me...*SMILE*..BUT I"m going to be a SURVIVOR ONE DAY...I go to my Chemo doc. Wednesday to find out when he wants to start my chemo. I want to go to the RELAY FOR LIFE RALLEY this next weekend..I hope he will start my chemo after that...Has anyone been there?..I think it would be great for me to see people and talk to people that have been in my shoes...Good for our body mind and spirit...take care and thanks for the advise...Debi
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options
    debi425 said:

HI from Debi
    Thanks for all the information..It really helps to know there are people out there like me..who have gone through this and still are LIVING!..that is my goal..and everyone here. I went and got my port put in Friday..wowowow...am I sore as a milking cow...*SMILE*..one breast is gone and under reconstruction and the other one has a port put up above it...I look like a freight train hit me...*SMILE*..BUT I"m going to be a SURVIVOR ONE DAY...I go to my Chemo doc. Wednesday to find out when he wants to start my chemo. I want to go to the RELAY FOR LIFE RALLEY this next weekend..I hope he will start my chemo after that...Has anyone been there?..I think it would be great for me to see people and talk to people that have been in my shoes...Good for our body mind and spirit...take care and thanks for the advise...Debi

Hi! Relay For Life is an awsome experience. I just went to my 7th this past weekend. It's alot of fun as well as some emotional times. The Survivor walk is uplifting! The Luminaria lighting is beautiful and very emotional. Have a GREAT time. Let us know how you enjoyed it. Good luck with your treatments. HUGS!! Cathy