change in remaining breast

shelley0914
shelley0914 Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a mastectomy Sept 05 then chemo and a full year of Herceptin that finished Dec 06. I've been on Tamoxifen since Mar 06. My doctor has said I've received the best treatments available and shouldn't worry about a reoccurance.

There have been changes to my remaining breast, though. There is not a new mass or tumor, but a bumpier or thicker texture than had been there. I've read that such changes can actually be common in women between 35 and 50 and my 35th birthday is later this month. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Rather than play the wait and see if it turns into something game, my doctor and I agreed on a preventative mastectomy. The appt with the surgeon is not for 2 weeks. I know this is the right thing to do because I actually wanted to take it off prior to these changes. It's just somehow different having someone else say that's the recommended course of action.

I really would like to cling to the hope that the changes could be normal and that I don't have the beginnings of a reocurrance. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Baby13
    Baby13 Member Posts: 11
    Hi Shelley,
    I fully understand your feelings. I had my mast. in 11/06 so I'm very new to this family. I on the other hand opted to take both in the very beginning just to reassure myself that the little green monster was gone and wouldn't occur on the other side. But I sit here with one and without one (smile). Only because my surgeon recommended that it would be better to wait until reconstructive surgery before we remove the other. And also probably because they figured that I was going through enough (had ovaries taken same day as mast.)Anyway don't let the mind play tricks on you because it will. Do what you feel you need to do, as for normal, do we even know what normal is anymore.?
    Hugs and prayers
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    The changes may be normal, but the doctors will not know for sure until they look at the cells under the microscope. If it turns out there is a problem, you will be glad you caught it sooner rather than later and you can start doing whatever treatment that cancer needs. But what if everything does turn out to be normal? If you will sleep better knowing that your likelihood for reoccurance in your breasts is just about nil, then you have accomplished something useful for you. I know that I worry every exam that this might be the time that it shows up again on the other side. At the time I was first diagnosed I knew I had the kind that often does show up on the other side(not every kind of breast cancer acts that way), but somehow a bilateral didn't make sense to me at that time. Now it doesn't seem so far fetched, especially around mammogram time! So decide based on what will make your life the most enjoyable. A preventative mastectomy might not make sense to an outsider, but it makes sense to those of us who are on the battleground. Life is too short to be miserable.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Hey, Shelley.

I wish I could say yes or no with 100% confidence. This IS something that should be taken seriously, can you see your way clear to go to a doctor who specialized in breast cancer?

Although, as was said, sometimes it takes pathology to see cancer or not...mine didn't present as cancer at all...

Hugs, kathi
  • LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Shelley,

My best guess is that you are doing the right thing. I think chemo can cause changes, but we really can't be sure and don't want to take any chances. Best of luck.

Hugs.

Lesley
  • shelley0914
    shelley0914 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for everyone's input!!
    I brought this up to my support group last night. They felt like the oncologist made a hasty decision because of my willingness and previous desire to have the mastectomy. Most throught I really need to get a second opinion.

But then, a woman spoke up that she too was HER2 positive (as I was). She had no lymph node involvement (I had 1 of 10) and elected to remove both breasts as a precaution. She said mirror tumors are common within 2 to 5 years. My changes are in the exact same place as the tumor had been on the other side.

Part of me does feel rushed, but the other part feels that having it gone will relive a lot of my anxiety. But by the same token, I'm going to try and get in the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston (3 hrs away) just to let them give me a once-over and hear what they have to say.
  • msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 9
    Hello, i think second opinion is the way to go, I had a mastectomy 13 yrs ago on left side and still have the right one. I go every year for mammogram, I stayed POSITIVE and Pray alot, God Bless U and I will continue to pray for us all. msphil