Question about Arimidex alternatives

Options
OregonSeaStar
OregonSeaStar Member Posts: 41
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I know there's been some discussion lately about adverse side-effects of Arimidex. I've been on it for a few months and stopped it about 10 days ago due to bone and joint pain. I'd also noticed that I was having trouble walking . . . . . my gait was very irregular and I was feeling unsteady on my feet. My oncologist had me stop the pill and see if things improved; they improved quite a bit but the pain hasn't gone away completely yet. My next appointment with the onc. is May 17th and I've been told to stay off the Arimidex until I see him then.

My question is regarding the other drugs, the ones that do the same as Arimidex but made by other manufacturers. Has anyone switched to one of these other drugs from Arimidex? Did you experience the same side-effects? I'm worried that this is another of those "damned if you do; damned if you don't" situations. The side-effects of the Arimidex about did me in, but I'm very worried about NOT taking this or another similar drug. Kinda feels like I'm a sitting duck for the cancer to come back if I'm not taking something!

I welcome all your thoughts and experiences.
-shelley

Comments

• Fran1947
    Fran1947 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Hi Shelley - I am not sure about the other aromatase inhibitors, but I know Tamoxifen is an entirely different drug, also very effective in preventing recurrence. Of course it has its own side effects, but everyone is different and you may have better luck with that or another AI. Thank God there are choices now!

Good luck!

Fran
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    I have done the gamet on the drugs similar to Arimidex, For me Arimidex caused substantial swelling and pain in my legs & feet. I stayed off of the drug for 2 weeks it it got a lot better. Then my Onc tried Femera... for me it was worse... still had the sweeling and pain.. but it also made me sick to my stomack for about 6 hours after I took it... the third pill now seems to be a god send... or at least for now it is call Armosin. It doesn't seem to have the problems with side effects that the other ones did... so for now that is what I am on. Talk to your Onc and try them all until you find one that works best for you.

Take Care.... God Bless...

Susan
  • OregonSeaStar
    OregonSeaStar Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Susan956 said:

I have done the gamet on the drugs similar to Arimidex, For me Arimidex caused substantial swelling and pain in my legs & feet. I stayed off of the drug for 2 weeks it it got a lot better. Then my Onc tried Femera... for me it was worse... still had the sweeling and pain.. but it also made me sick to my stomack for about 6 hours after I took it... the third pill now seems to be a god send... or at least for now it is call Armosin. It doesn't seem to have the problems with side effects that the other ones did... so for now that is what I am on. Talk to your Onc and try them all until you find one that works best for you.

Take Care.... God Bless...

Susan

Thanks Fran and Susan for your feedback. I see my onc again on May 17 and I'll ask him about all three drugs. I know I need the protection these drug offer, but I'm seriously tired of hurting all the time and being shaky on my feet. You'd think that since we've gone through so much - surgery, chemo, rads, drugs, and endless needle sticks for tests - that we'd get used to the aches and pains. In my case, I'm finding just the opposite is true: I'm more of a baby now in regards to dealing with any pain or discomfort than I was before BC. And yes, I'm very grateful that there is even a choice of drugs now; 10 years ago that just wasn't the case.
    Thanks again,
    -shelley
  • LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Options
    Shelley - I know how you feel. I am on tamoxifen for another month and then I'll be switching. I've been on tamoxifen for just over a year and the side effects are managable. I have some joint pain (especially in hands and feet) and peripheral neuropathy (which I manage with Vitamin B and Magnesium). I also seem to have developed a number of allergies, but I rather think that is the chemo.

Hugs.

Lesley
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Shelley,
    Sorry for the late posting...dealing with tumor markers being on the rise...sigh...go AWAY beast!!!

I am on Tamoxifen. I am an old lady, surgical menopause, so I was a candidate for either this or the aromatase inhibitors, like Arimidex. BUT my bone density scan showed -2.7T, true, raging osteoporosis. So, my onc has me on Tamoxifen and Actonel (bone density drug) for 2 years. Then we will do another scan. Then talk about switching.

My sides on Tamoxifen have been VERY managable. Limited hot flashes. NO joint pain (well, not from that...from the rads in my shoulder area). BUT, I also ramped up my calcium and am taking the Actonel. I do weight-bearing exercises.

Ask about a bone scan...the aromatase inhibitors are nortorious for thinning the bone....

Hugs, Kathi
  • mrsbetty2
    mrsbetty2 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Shelley, How did you make out with your Dr. Did he switch you and put you on something else? I am having the same problems with Arimidex but don't see my Dr till the end of June. Just wondering if there is something better with fewer side effects. I am 60 and feel like 90 at times. Hope all is well with you. Betty