Radiation treatment after chemo

Ingrid15
Ingrid15 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was supposed to do 6 wks of radiation now that I finnished my chemo has anyone heard there is a new shorter treatment 2 wks?

Comments

• mrsbetty2
    mrsbetty2 Member Posts: 24
    Ingrid, I live in Central New York and one of our regional hospitals has announced a new treatment. It is called Trilogy. It is suppose to cut the time down to days instead of weeks for radiation and only concentrate of the affected area with no harm to the good tissues. I didn't have to have any radiation,only chemo, but i did read about it.Search your area hospitals. Good Luck. Betty
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Ingrid,
    Is this the radiation treatment where they implant the source. If so I have heard of it. Some people are good candidates for it while others are not. So talk to your Radiation Onc & see what they say. Could be nice not to have the trek to the Radiologist 5 days a week for 33 treatments.

Take Care... God Bless...

Susan

PS. You are through the tough part if you have finished Chemo. I found radiation to be pretty easy in comparison. Hope all goes well.
  • Fran1947
    Fran1947 Member Posts: 72
    Hi Ingrid - I have heard of the shorter treatment. A friend of mine had it. Hers required a little surgery at the site where the lesion was to create a pouch for the radiation deivery medium. The radiation is then delivered 24/7 for a period of time, then removed. All of this is second hand information - I'm sure you can find out more on the internet. Either way, I hope it goes smoothly for you!

Fran
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Ingrid,

Don't have much to add, I had the traditional 33 treatments. I, too, heard that there are some factors that determine eligibility for this.

If you end up on the 33 day one...piece of advice...as soon as I notice a redness to my skin (treatment 6, I believe),I applied Aquaphor ointment to the area right after each treatment. This helps to reduce the burn on the skin. I used it also for the rads on my bottom for the colon cancer.

Hugs, Kathi