Lupron, Tamoxifen, & Arimidex

Options
ClareT
ClareT Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, Was diagnosed with breast cancer with lymph node involvement last fall. Have done chemo, had mastectomy this past February and now doing radiation therapy. I was premenopausal at the time of my cancer, and the chemo brought me into menopause. My oncologist put me on Tamoxifen last month and was concerned about some of the side effects I was experiencing. He now wants to start me on Lupron to definitely put me in a post menopausal status and then start Arimidex instead. Has anyone had a similar treatment plan? I'm concerned about accelerating my meonpause with Lupron and would rather nature would take it's course. But also wonder if Arimidex is better than Tamoxifen.

Will appreciate anyones input.

Peace

ClareT

Comments

• LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Options
    Clare,

You are between a rock and a hard place. I know. I am in the exact same position. After doing my research, my decision was to stay with Tamoxifen for another few months to be sure I am in chemopause, and then go onto an aromatase inhibitor. If your ovaries have shut down permanantly, you probably won't notice a difference. I am just reluctant to have even more drugs. I just manage the side effects of Tamoxifen. The AI's also have side effects, so it's a matter of what you can tolerate. Most of the initial side effects of Tamoxifen disappeared after a few months - got new ones but that is a whole 'nother story.

Best of luck.

Hugs.

Lesley
  • Fran1947
    Fran1947 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Hi Clare,
    I was peri-menopausal in 2002 when chemo pushed me firmly over the edge. I was concerned about Tamoxifen's side effects, especially the increased risk of blood clots, since I have a strong family history of strokes. My doctor gave me Arimidex and I have been on it ever since. It has been shown to be more effective that T in preventing recurrences in clinical trials - your oncologist can give you the details. Arimidex does have its own side effects, so the decision has to be between you and your doctor, weighing the pros and cons. Menopause is the pits, though. I never had another period after my second infusion of chemo, so Lupron was not an issue. I hope your doctor will listen to your concerns and discuss all these issues with you! If he or she doesn't, try talking to the infusion nurse - they are very knowledgeable and helpful.
    I hope it goes well for you!

Fran
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    A lady at work used to be on Lupron (by injection once a month I think). Though it causes things--ovaries--to shut down just like menapause, the effect is temporary, so it can be reversed if you are young and hoping to have children after your 5 years (or whatever you agree on with your doctor) are over. So Lupron is a reversible shut down of the ovaries. You just can't take Arimidex while the ovaries are functioning since it can't stop estrogen from the ovaries. It works on the other sources of estrogen-like substances from your andreal glands and body fat. The stats I've read indicate that it is twice as effective as Tamoxifen in delaying cancer progression and increasing survival time. How important this is depends a lot on the stage and aggressiveness of the cancer you have. If you already had a 96 percent chance of making it ten years with no problems on Tamoxifen, Arimidex may mean you would have a 98 percent chance now. If you had a 50 percent chance on Tamoxifen, now you would have a 75 percent chance. Tamoxifen is a known carcinogen (cancer of the uterus). Arimidex is a bone eater. Lovely choices I know, but with monitoring both problems can be caught early and treated. I had heavy periods on Tamoxifen and joint aches with something similar to Arimidex and hot flashes on both. But every time I look at my son, I figure the side effects are worth every minute it buys me. Good luck sorting through the choices. And remember that you can always go back to Tamoxifen if the other doesn't suit. Tamoxifen was the gold standard of care for many years.
  • newboobs
    newboobs Member Posts: 121
    Options
    I just finished my 5 yrs of TAM. I got the lupron before, during and for 2 yrs after chemo to preserve fertility. Went to fert. dr. today and at 44 I'm premenopausal :-)

I didn't have bad side effects on TAM- just joint aching and fatigue. Guess we all do what we have to. My onc wants to put me on Femara once I'm post menopausal. Weird thing is my fert. dr. wants me to take femara 5 days a month now for fertility purposes.

Since I finished TAM in late March my energy has bounced back BIGTIME and no more aching. Can you do Femara? Best of luck and prayers!