facial hair after chemo??

phoenixrising
phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I finished my last chemo Apr 5th and since then I've had 2 people comment on my facial hair. I've always had very fine light facial hair that most women have, but this stuff is either longer or thicker. At any rate it's enough to warrant comments.
How flipping depressing! Not bad enough that I now look like I'm 70 yrs old....... oh no, I know lots of 70 year olds that look better, never thought I would have to worry about more facial hair. The things they don't tell you about.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does it come back strange after waxing or shaving?
I was already post menopausal when diagnosed and other than a couple of renegade hairs, it was quite acceptable.

Lesley, I have the book about the owl and have read it a few times. It's good.
I actually lived not far (as the crow flies) from Kingcome Inlet on a remote island for about a year and a half working at the hospital. Fly or boat in only.
It was great and all the inconveniences only added to the charm.

Anyways, I'll now go and comb my face before going out :)

cheers to all
jan

Comments

• cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Hi Jan! I never had chemo and I have more facial hair. I've been taking Aromasin for almost 1 year after 5 years of Tamoxifen and 8 mos. of Femara. I've noticed this past year longer and thicker facial hair. I went to the dermatoligist a few weeks ago. I can't get laser to remove it cause the hairs are light in color. Laser only works on dark hairs. She did put me on this creme called Vaniqua which I use 2 x a day. It doesn't prevent the growth but is supposed to slow down the growth. I've only been on it for a few weeks so don't see much change but I have my fingers crossed.This is very common ,tho, with menapause cause we don't have the female hormones anymore.Lovely, but a fact of life. Hope this helps you realize you're not alone and there are a few things that can help. Good luck. Let me know how things are going. HUGS!! Cathy
  • phoenixrising
    cruf said:

Hi Jan! I never had chemo and I have more facial hair. I've been taking Aromasin for almost 1 year after 5 years of Tamoxifen and 8 mos. of Femara. I've noticed this past year longer and thicker facial hair. I went to the dermatoligist a few weeks ago. I can't get laser to remove it cause the hairs are light in color. Laser only works on dark hairs. She did put me on this creme called Vaniqua which I use 2 x a day. It doesn't prevent the growth but is supposed to slow down the growth. I've only been on it for a few weeks so don't see much change but I have my fingers crossed.This is very common ,tho, with menapause cause we don't have the female hormones anymore.Lovely, but a fact of life. Hope this helps you realize you're not alone and there are a few things that can help. Good luck. Let me know how things are going. HUGS!! Cathy

Hi Cathy, thanks for the info. I've been menopausal for about 3 yrs now so I wasn't expecting this.
    It seems like such a petty thing, lots of people I'm sure wish that's all they had to worry about.
    For me, today, it was the straw that broke the camels back. I feel so far from where I was a
    year ago that I guess I got real down about it. Bad day :)

I hope the cream works for you and I will ask my onc about it when I see him early May.

Thanks again, I appreciate you sharing your experience with me.

This trip sucks!
  • LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Weird, isn't it? After chemo you don't have a hair on your head and then your hair grows back funny. I read of a small study in Turkey in which women were given 2 cups of peppermint tea a day to drink and the level of the male hormones (that we all have but when they dominate they cause facial hair) dropped. It's so completely harmless that it's worth a try. Check with your onc about using products like Vaniqua. I did read that it was not indicated for patients at risk for breast cancer.

Hugs.

Lesley
  • phoenixrising
    LesleyH said:

Weird, isn't it? After chemo you don't have a hair on your head and then your hair grows back funny. I read of a small study in Turkey in which women were given 2 cups of peppermint tea a day to drink and the level of the male hormones (that we all have but when they dominate they cause facial hair) dropped. It's so completely harmless that it's worth a try. Check with your onc about using products like Vaniqua. I did read that it was not indicated for patients at risk for breast cancer.

Hugs.

Lesley

Thanks Lesley, I have some peppermint tea, so I'll give it a shot and I'll check with my onc about the cream. My husband called me ZZ Top this
    morning, either the hair goes or he does:)
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Jan,
    Right after finishing chemo, when my head hair was coming back in, I had much more facial hair. I thought (still do) that the hair follicles all over my body were giving a sigh of relief to be able to grow again...so they went wild (hehehehe).

After a few months, and an occasional facial scrub with Clinique 7-day scrub, my face is back to 'normal' (sigh...complete with an old lady hair on my chin...lol).

April was just passed, in the scheme of things...give it a little time.

And tell hubby that it just must be envy...can HE grow hair as well as you are...rofl

Hugs, Kathi
  • phoenixrising
    KathiM said:

Jan,
    Right after finishing chemo, when my head hair was coming back in, I had much more facial hair. I thought (still do) that the hair follicles all over my body were giving a sigh of relief to be able to grow again...so they went wild (hehehehe).

After a few months, and an occasional facial scrub with Clinique 7-day scrub, my face is back to 'normal' (sigh...complete with an old lady hair on my chin...lol).

April was just passed, in the scheme of things...give it a little time.

And tell hubby that it just must be envy...can HE grow hair as well as you are...rofl

Hugs, Kathi

Hi Kathi, I had wondered if it was something that would return to normal after a while. You know, my hair started coming in when I started the taxanes. Quite surprising.

I'm sure there will be alot of changes before things get back to normal or find their new normal and I need to be patient. Main thing is, is not to grow anymore tumours. Other than that I shouldn't complain :)

Thanks to all for your great help and advice.

jan
  • babs49242
    babs49242 Member Posts: 193

Hi Kathi, I had wondered if it was something that would return to normal after a while. You know, my hair started coming in when I started the taxanes. Quite surprising.

I'm sure there will be alot of changes before things get back to normal or find their new normal and I need to be patient. Main thing is, is not to grow anymore tumours. Other than that I shouldn't complain :)

Thanks to all for your great help and advice.

jan

Jan~ I had facial hair also after chemo. It was very light and rather long, I could almost braid it(haha not really)....it has subsided NOW I have the joy of PLUCKING whiskers! I make it a game to see HOW many I can get in colors..black or white..
    I would think it will subside soon..give it some time...
    Cindie from Georgia
  • kbc4869
    kbc4869 Member Posts: 159
    Hi Jan:

Good God Almighty - YES! The good news is that it went back to normal within about 3-4 months. I agree with Kathi -- I think the hair is doing its own little Happy Dance because I think it misses us as much as we missed it!

Although mine was light, it made me very selfconscious, so I had it waxed each month until it went back to normal. And don't be silly like me and try to wax it at home . . . what a mess that was. Pay to have it done professionally and save yourself pain and frustration. And don't worry -- it WILL go back to normal!

Kim
  • phoenixrising
    kbc4869 said:

Hi Jan:

Good God Almighty - YES! The good news is that it went back to normal within about 3-4 months. I agree with Kathi -- I think the hair is doing its own little Happy Dance because I think it misses us as much as we missed it!

Although mine was light, it made me very selfconscious, so I had it waxed each month until it went back to normal. And don't be silly like me and try to wax it at home . . . what a mess that was. Pay to have it done professionally and save yourself pain and frustration. And don't worry -- it WILL go back to normal!

Kim

You gals have a great sense of humour. I'll not worry anymore. I feel more confident that it will settle down in a few months.

Thanks for all your help.
  • bbbyr
    bbbyr Member Posts: 6

You gals have a great sense of humour. I'll not worry anymore. I feel more confident that it will settle down in a few months.

Thanks for all your help.

Wow, am I glad that I entered 'facial hair' on this site. I thought I was the only person who had a werewolf in the family history. I live in Central Florida and in the sun, at the right angle, my wide sideburns are a real hoot - to all but me. I take real comfort in the fact that some of you say this subsides. I think I will call my shop right now and get an appointment to have my face waxed. I really do appreciate these discussion groups. You feel better when you realize that a lot of us are having the same problem and that it is not just a new 'bad' thing that is happening to you. This trip that we are on has many twists and turns and sharing the common ones makes us all feel a little better. God Bless us each and everyone!