Getting awareness out there

denisesheree
denisesheree Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi everyone first thank you all for always being there when needed. I am planning on getting the "STAR" logo for colo-rectal cancer tatoo on my lower leg with hopes to make others more aware of this disease. As we know it doesn't yet receive the attention as other diseases which keeps the funding for research down. Not only am i a stage IV i am also a RN and the general public just don't want to talk about this disease,,,,,,,like they don't poop. We have to continue to fight for the cure. My prayers to all
Denise

Comments

• spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Denise -

Good on ya! I wear my CRC Star pin on my uniform ballcap in the back (not really authorized) and I wear my Lance Armstrong band with my uniform as well (DEFINITELY not authorized!) to do just what you're doing. I'll never forget the time an admiral stopped me in the elevator to admonish me about my LiveStrong bracelet; "Commander, why are you wearing that bracelet?" My immediate reply was "Admiral, when was your last colonoscopy?" by the time we got off the elevator, he was going to get a scope and I was "authorized" to keep wearing my yellow band!

Cheers!

SpongeBob
  • Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    spongebob said:

Denise -

Good on ya! I wear my CRC Star pin on my uniform ballcap in the back (not really authorized) and I wear my Lance Armstrong band with my uniform as well (DEFINITELY not authorized!) to do just what you're doing. I'll never forget the time an admiral stopped me in the elevator to admonish me about my LiveStrong bracelet; "Commander, why are you wearing that bracelet?" My immediate reply was "Admiral, when was your last colonoscopy?" by the time we got off the elevator, he was going to get a scope and I was "authorized" to keep wearing my yellow band!

Cheers!

SpongeBob

Bob - I can't imagine you doing anything "unauthorized"! Hey - the more unauthorized the better - I'm putting my yellow bracelet back on and never taking it off.

Betsy
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    The level of denial out there is amazing. My coworkers have seen me go through all of this, but when I ask those at age 50 or over if they have ever had a colonoscopy, the usual answer is either a)"No need--it doesn't run in MY family", or b)"I don't want to know."

In the face of PERSONAL denial on that level, how can we dent societal denial? Is it the poop factor? Is it that bowels are involved? Sure, my cancer is genetic and I was dx'd before age 50, but a simple colonoscopy at age 50 is part of the general wellness plan. How is it so different from getting your PAP done or checking for prostate disease? It's a mystery to me!
  • spongebob
    kmygil said:

The level of denial out there is amazing. My coworkers have seen me go through all of this, but when I ask those at age 50 or over if they have ever had a colonoscopy, the usual answer is either a)"No need--it doesn't run in MY family", or b)"I don't want to know."

In the face of PERSONAL denial on that level, how can we dent societal denial? Is it the poop factor? Is it that bowels are involved? Sure, my cancer is genetic and I was dx'd before age 50, but a simple colonoscopy at age 50 is part of the general wellness plan. How is it so different from getting your PAP done or checking for prostate disease? It's a mystery to me!

You know, it's funny you should mention your co-workers. I had a good friend whom I worked with from the time I was diagnosed through chemo and into aftercare. Good officer and very smart guy. We often talked about my disease.

The irony is that he was in denial of his colon cancer symptoms even then. I came across his webpage just last night - SeaDetail. Chris' rationalization of his symptoms and lack of early treatment cost him his life.

- SB
  • rthornton
    rthornton Member Posts: 346 Member

Bob - I can't imagine you doing anything "unauthorized"! Hey - the more unauthorized the better - I'm putting my yellow bracelet back on and never taking it off.

Betsy

Although I am not Catholic at all, and have never even been to a mass (but I did go to a large cathedral in Bulgaria last year), I wear a little silver St. Peregrine medal on a black cord. I like the story of St. Peregrine, and every so often someone will ask what it's all about.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I believe that we all MUST speak up!!! We have a particular beast that is truly preventable...or treatable if CAUGHT early...that's the point, I guess.
    I use humor to break the silence when I mention "colon" or "rectum"....seems to warm the room! Especially the mention of the "semi-colons"....In regards to my resection and hyster surgery...."I came with a colon, left with a semi-colon, and lost my period. So are the punctuations of MY life!". This is the description of MY fight with CRC....gets them every time (lol)!

Hugs, Kathi
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    You are right about awareness of CRC, symptoms and early diagnosis. Why can't people understand that by being aware and having your colonoscopy, you can many times prevent colon cancer?? During my treatment I told every friend I had about having a colonoscopy. I gave them their choices: colonoscopy (minimal discomfort if at all); or chemotherapy? My gastrointerologists office was flooded with people. He even called me to tell me that over 50% of his new patients at that time were my referrals. We must tell our story!

I wear my star logo (a pin not tatoo)and my blue colon cancer bracelet that says "Preventable, Treatable, Beatable". I've got plenty, if anyone wants one. (through the Colon Cancer Alliance)

Keep spreading the word..........

Kerry
  • spongebob
    kerry said:

You are right about awareness of CRC, symptoms and early diagnosis. Why can't people understand that by being aware and having your colonoscopy, you can many times prevent colon cancer?? During my treatment I told every friend I had about having a colonoscopy. I gave them their choices: colonoscopy (minimal discomfort if at all); or chemotherapy? My gastrointerologists office was flooded with people. He even called me to tell me that over 50% of his new patients at that time were my referrals. We must tell our story!

I wear my star logo (a pin not tatoo)and my blue colon cancer bracelet that says "Preventable, Treatable, Beatable". I've got plenty, if anyone wants one. (through the Colon Cancer Alliance)

Keep spreading the word..........

Kerry

I hope your GI paid you a finder's fee for all those new patients!
  • kerry
    spongebob said:

I hope your GI paid you a finder's fee for all those new patients!

I did suggest a commission!
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    I think each of us needs to help raise awareness any time they can. I talk to anyone that wants to ask. I have people ask about my blue bracelet that I wear all the time. I think the problem is that people are worried about the colonoscopy. I don't think that they understand how the actual test is easy. Prep is not fun but like you said look what you can prevent.

Lisa F.
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    kmygil said:

My GP nor any other doc I had before my cancer even asked if I'd had a scope. I think more docs should mention it during their patient appointments of people over 50. Should be a standard on patient information sheets. I'm not blaming my doc, because the infor is out there, but I might have gone in sooner if he had said something.
    Jo Ann
  • spongebob
    Hey Denise -

Do you have a calendar at your station/office? This is a great way to get the word out AND support cool educational/outreach programs:

http://www.colondar.com

Food for thought...

- Mr. July 2006
  • Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    kmygil said:

I personally think that primary care physicians could do much more in the way of getting patients to have colonoscopies.

Yes, they virtually all recommend it at age 50.

But, that's about all they say, and I am talking about more. Silly as it seems, many people (and I was one) have hangups about this type of test. IF any doctor had EVER told me that I wouldn't even know what hit me when I went for a colonoscopy, I would have done it 5 years prior to diagnosis and would most likely have been Stage 3 if not Stage 1 or 2.

I'm not blaming the docs, but it is very true that no one ever said this to me and if they had, I would have had the test in a minute. Instead, I only had the test when I had a few symptoms.

So, my (former) hang-up, will definitely admit that, but it was a hang-up that could have been SO easily corrected by my primary physician, but never was.
    That's my soapbox!

Betsy
  • kerry
    spongebob said:

Hey Denise -

Do you have a calendar at your station/office? This is a great way to get the word out AND support cool educational/outreach programs:

http://www.colondar.com

Food for thought...

- Mr. July 2006

Bob,

You are right! I bought several "colondars" and gave them to my doctors at MD Anderson and my local oncologist here in Austin. They are placed in the infusion room for folks to read. Have gotten lots of good comments and lots of shock at how young everyone is!

K
  • spongebob
    kerry said:

Bob,

You are right! I bought several "colondars" and gave them to my doctors at MD Anderson and my local oncologist here in Austin. They are placed in the infusion room for folks to read. Have gotten lots of good comments and lots of shock at how young everyone is!

K

AWESOME, Kerry!!

That's the idea behind the colondar - shock & awe! Thanks for supporting the Colon Club!
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    I got the star tattoo'd on my shoulder, with a butterfly at the base for rebirth and healing! My best friend put the star on her shoulder, my daughters got it on their abdomens. We all went in together, having made arrangements with our artist ahead of time. Getting the tattoos was a great experience, as is now wearing the legend. We will beat this beast!