reconstruction surgery for seniors

kath94
kath94 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Everyone, I'm new to this board. My mother has recently been diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ. She'll most likely have a double mastectomy in the next month. I need some opinions on reconstruction surgery for a widowed woman of 75. Insurance won't cover it, but she can self-pay if necessary. What she WON'T do is attend any support groups. I need opinions from older, or shall I say "more mature" women on the pros & cons, what you chose to do, why you chose it, etc. Every opinion is a good one! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Insurance won't cover it? Are you sure? It is the law in most states for insurance to cover reconstructive surgery after mastectomy. I would contact the Cancer Association about this.

Hugs.

Lesley
  • Ginger192
    Ginger192 Member Posts: 2
    LesleyH said:

Insurance won't cover it? Are you sure? It is the law in most states for insurance to cover reconstructive surgery after mastectomy. I would contact the Cancer Association about this.

Hugs.

Lesley

I understood Ins Co would cover reconstruction and I had a lumpectomy which need to be corrected or filled in or up. I want to do this for me not anyone else, there is no one else. Hoping it will be like closer. Don't have to look at it or think about it every minute of every day. And they wonder why we're stressed. Ha. It doesn't let you forget for a second. If Ins Co will cover, I'll be a 62 year old working senior with great Boobs!! Linea and Hugs to ya.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    LesleyH said:

Hugs.

Lesley

I agree with Lesley. It is the law. At least here in California. Reconstruction following breast cancer (even lumpectomy), if desired, MUST be covered by the insurance company, even if it is later on (my friend waited 2 years) and regardless of age!
    Call ACS for the actual law, but after that, your next stop should be the insurance commission!

I HATE these insurance companies that think they can get away with this stuff, just to save a few dollars!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    I understand that the law in the United States states that all insurance companies MUST pay for reconstruction if the woman so desires it. That said, you have to consult with your surgeons(you'll need an experience plastic surgeon as well as a breast cancer surgeon) to determine the options available. Just like sex doesn't have to stop at a certain age, neither should our age determine whether or not we want reconstruction. If my doctor didn't support my way of thinking I'd be finding another doctor. My father-in-law had a knee replacement in his mid-80's and did fine. Breast surgery shouldn't be any harder on an individual than that (and implants are probably a whole lot easier). So talk to a few other doctors. You could check out the Susan Love Breast website (http://www.susanlovemd.org) to find out some first person stories and actual pictures by some awesome survivors.