Arimidex to Femara Update

Options
Susan956
Susan956 Member Posts: 510
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hey all... Just an update. I had posted about Arimidex causing me problems with my feet and legs swelling. I stopped taking it about a week ago and met with my Onc today. My feet and legs are much better. She had an Echocardiagram done t make sure that it wasn't my heart. I had problems with it about a year ago due to Herceptin. It was just fine.... So I will be switching over to Femara and hopefully it will be some better.

Thanks for all the support. I will let you guys know if it is easier on me.

Take Care all... God Bless....

Susan

Comments

• toninasky
    toninasky Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Hey Susan,

Good luck with the Femara. I have been on it now for 3 months. No side effects so far. I wanted this drug over Arimidex because I have some real issues with my ankles. I broke both of them in 2005, and have 6 pins and a plate in one, and 2 in the other. They ache a lot, and after reading about the 2 drugs, Femara is the one with the least problems in that area. I hope that it works for you.
    I keep thinking that if it keeps us free of the beast, then it is worth taking.

Good Luck and Blessings
    Toni
  • karenack
    karenack Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Hi Susan! I am glad that you are getting better now that you stopped the Arimidex. I had my ovaries out but I think I still have to go on an AI. I will find out next month when I go to my onc. If he puts me on Arimidex, I will surely watch for those side effects. Take care! Karen
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update. I took a "vacation" from this site for Spring Break, but I was worried about your heart just before that. I'm glad the doctor ran some tests and checked it out. Good luck on the new meds!
  • travellady
    travellady Member Posts: 1
    Options
    cabbott said:

Thanks for the update. I took a "vacation" from this site for Spring Break, but I was worried about your heart just before that. I'm glad the doctor ran some tests and checked it out. Good luck on the new meds!

I've actually gone from 5 yrs on Tamoxafin to Femara for 1 1/2 years and the longer I take it the thinner my hair is getting and the more my joints ache and my hands swell. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this.
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options

I've actually gone from 5 yrs on Tamoxafin to Femara for 1 1/2 years and the longer I take it the thinner my hair is getting and the more my joints ache and my hands swell. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this.

Hi! I was on Tamoxifen for 5 years also. No major problems. Went to Femara and lasted 8 mos and had to stop due to joint pain.Went to aromasin for just under 1 year and still have joint pain, wt. gain, hair thinning, dry eyes and high cholesterol. BUT... NO Cancer! I think this is the "norm" with all these aromatose inhibitors. Hopefully, I'll be off all these meds come Oct. being 7 years on all this stuff. HUGS!! Cathy