Are your oncology appts./treatments on time?

prayerangel
prayerangel Member Posts: 147
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I go to the Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover, NH for my treatments, and the wait is getting unbearable. Was wondering if all hospitals are the same? This hospital had a huge increase and remodeling of the Cancer Center within the hospital, but they have already outgrown it. It's so stressful for appts. to run hours late.
Any stories on your hospitals?
Thanks,
Karen

Comments

• LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    I go to University Hospitals in Denver. I very rarely wait. I think I have only had to wait an hour once, and that was when they were trying to see patients after a very bad snowstorm. Usually, I am seen on time or pretty close.

Hugs.

Lesley
  • powersgrandma
    powersgrandma Member Posts: 3
    no wait at Sw Oncology in durango....no wait at all. Walk right in, get hooked in, and there are always chairs empty.

Sorry, my friend....sometimes it pays to live in a more rural setting. Not always, but in this case...
  • Baby13
    Baby13 Member Posts: 11
    Kansas University Medical Center for me, I rarely wait but maybe this will help. While we now feel like every moment is so much more precious than we originally realized, we find ourselves not wanting to waste any of it, especially waiting.

But I've found that I can use those times to do some of those things that I never had the time to do because life was always happening.
    Now I have time to read a good book, pray a little longer, crochet, just smell the flowers, draw or just look stupid ( : , you know the simple things that we sometimes miss because life is happening.

Find your pleasure and enjoy it.
    Hope this helps.
    God Bless
  • shelley0914
    shelley0914 Member Posts: 8
    I wasn't treated at a hospital and that may help. I was referred to a 3 doctor hematology/oncology office and their treatment plan agreed with that of the big regional cancer center in Florida. I found it much more comforting to be in a room with only 7 chairs where I was a person and not a number (like at the big regional center). Usually the only time I had to wait was if a patient was having a bad reaction and needed everyone's focus.

I've since moved to Texas and again avoided the big regional center in favor of a private office. However, I guess the guy I picked is in demand because I regularly wait for hours for appts. But then, those are my followups and not for drugs. The way I look at, if they've got so many patients that they are that backed up, they must be doing something right.

Never, ever go to an appt without a book or something to keep you occupied. Or, create your own support group in the waiting room and you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone!

Best wishes!
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    I was at University Hospital in Augusta Ga. I found the only time I waited was when I had appointments on Mondays. By switching days, I rarely had to wait more than 30 minutes from the time I walked into the office before they drew my blood and got ready to start treatments. You might ask your Hospital if they have lighter days or if afternoons are easier. At the beginning I did mine on Tuesday mornings... but later I moved to Friday afternoons... the Friday afternoons were almost empty... so there was no wait then at all.

By the way have you discussed the issue with your Onc. If not do so... It sounds like you are having a tough time and the Onc should try to see if they can help you out.

Take Care... God Bless...

Susan
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    I was treated at a time much different from now.
    10 years has made allot of difference in many ways some not so good. Waiting times long and even surgery waits are months. I had surgery just 7 days after being diagnosed. Yes it had spread and was stage 3 but there are much worse cases having to sit on side lines.
    My treatment days with blood work and appointment use to be all day afair since my body didn't like to take in chemo. Use to take up to 4 hours for Chemo alone for it to get through. My body repelled it rather than accepted it and with good reason. I have never read so many books in my life as I did the year dealing with my disease waiting in waiting rooms and being poked.
    Now There are not enough Doctors to even diagnosis the patient anymore up here in Canada. 10's of thousands across our country don't have family doctors, we have to rely on Walk In Health Clinics. Emergency wards are packed with patients in Hallways no beds in the hospitals at all. I am grateful I was diagnosed at a time that Good Health Care actually was saving lives.
    All nice to be rich and powerful countries INDUSTRIALIZED to say the least, even if killing us. I am sad that my country is loosing its statis as one of the best health care systems in the world, instead we are just becoming like everyone else since most countries believe this is a form of subsidising our people. Just my thought.
    Tara
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member

I wasn't treated at a hospital and that may help. I was referred to a 3 doctor hematology/oncology office and their treatment plan agreed with that of the big regional cancer center in Florida. I found it much more comforting to be in a room with only 7 chairs where I was a person and not a number (like at the big regional center). Usually the only time I had to wait was if a patient was having a bad reaction and needed everyone's focus.

I've since moved to Texas and again avoided the big regional center in favor of a private office. However, I guess the guy I picked is in demand because I regularly wait for hours for appts. But then, those are my followups and not for drugs. The way I look at, if they've got so many patients that they are that backed up, they must be doing something right.

Never, ever go to an appt without a book or something to keep you occupied. Or, create your own support group in the waiting room and you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone!

Best wishes!

I was treated at a center that was connected to a hospital, but my infusion waits were not very long.
    My onc appts, with my old onc, were always PAINFULLY long waits...I agree with shelley....I NEVER go to any appointment without my word search pocket edition in my purse...I am actually surprised when they call my name...hehehehe.
    Infusion waits, I talked to everyone around me....I was the 'class clown'.
    I had a bunny that a friend had given me (stuffed, of course) that went to every appt with me. While waiting to be 'hooked up', I started messing with it (I was already bald by then). I told the nurse that the bunny had offered to take my infusion instead. She looked at me like I had lost my mind, but then someone else in the room, catching the spirit, said "If your bunny took the infusion, would it become a hairless hare?". I laughed so hard, almost fell out of my chair!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Hi Karen,

My infusion experience took about 3 hours from the time I arrived, until the time I was out the door.

I live in NJ and chose to have my treatment here instead of FoxChase (in PA) or Memorial Sloan Kettering (in NY). I had consults and 2nd opinions at both facilities. Both were huge and veritable zoo's. People waiting everywhere. People annoyed and restless. Naturally, I inquired about treatment times/schedules and was told at both locations, that it would require the better part of a day for infusions! That would have been in addition to my hour travel time to each facility, one way. (each was about the same travel distance from my home) Needless to say, that did not appeal to me.

Here in NJ, one of the the largest hospitals is Robert Wood Johnson, headquartered in Brusnwick, NJ. However, the oncologist I had consulted first, closer to my home, was in an affiliate hospital of RWJ. (A smaller version of the hospital in Brunswick) My treatment and appointment experiences there were great. Never waited more than 15 minutes for any appointments or treatment. A friend/family member was allowed to be with each patient, from start to finish of treatment. We had benefit of personal tv's w/headphones at each chair, a nice view of the lake, lunches and snacks were served and a stocked fridge was only steps away, full of various drinks, snacks, etc.,(for patients as well as anyone who was with a patient), massage therapists were on hand for upper body massages during infusion, the reclining chairs were spaced so that it was easy to communicate with one's neighbor, if the mood struck and/or a curtain could be pulled if one desired privacy. It made the infusion times less stressful and the time passed quickly.

My treatments were 6 years ago and since that time, the oncology center has grown and they've built a separate, new facility, just for oncology. It's quite beautiful and while the lake view is no more, lovely gardens were installed outside the floor to ceiling windows, which the infusion chairs face. All the other amenities remain, in addition to some new ones. I still go there for my check ups, which are now yearly.

When the oncologist who treated me, was retiring (a jewel of a doc who needed to spend time with her growing family) I checked out oncologists in two nearby towns, for consideration. I was not impressed. On my first visist I waited almost an hour just to see the doc! Staff were less friendly. Getting the results of labs there, took a week, instead of two days. I was a bit apprehensive and when I met the doctor, I did not care for his demeanor, his exam approach or his style. The 2nd onc. I checked out was equally disappointing. Meanwhile, my treasured oncs retirement date arrived and at my last appointment, I met her replacement. Turns out that she is as good a listener, as open to discussion, just as caring, and certainly light years above the other two doctors I'd checked out. Believe me, I knew immediately, that I was twice blessed! That was two years ago and I still see the same onc, in the same facility where I began my journey, 6 years ago. I've yet to see anyone there who's stuck waiting or unhappy with their care. Now, if I could just find this kind of "THE-WAY-IT'S-SUPPOSED-TO-BE" approach in all my other doctor's offices, I'd be thrilled! Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath! LOL In the meantime, I'm very grateful for the onc. center I go to and so appreciate their efforts to not keep patients waiting. I greatly appreciate the level of care I receive there, with prompt attention given to any concerns/issues I may have, during a visit. I feel that I'm in excellent hands and have a strong level of trust in my doctor there and that's as important to me now as it was 6 years ago.

My thoughts are that it's cruel to have long waiting times, particularly for infusions, rads, etc.. It's often difficult enough to just get there when we don't feel well or maybe having an issue, but then, to spend hours waiting, I think it's outrageous. I also think complaints should be launched to the proper party, who is in a position to address it. Firmly but respectfully. If nothing else, one at least has voiced their opinion and taken a pro-active step to try to make it better for everyone. While being stuck waiting can happen, if it's happening regularly, then it stands to reason that the practice is either short staffed or over booked. Neither is acceptable in the treatment/management of cancer, in my humble opinion, and both issues have clear remedies.

Something which may help, is to call the facility before you leave and ask if they're "on time" today. If not, maybe they'll say so and advise you to arrive a bit later, which will save you time and energy and the frustration of a long wait. Just a thought. I do this when I have regular check up appoints with my gyn, dentist, etc. and they're ususally quite honest and will suggest I come a half hour later, if need be. They typically even thank me for calling ahead.

The director/administrator should be contacted, in writing if possible, and asked to please respond (in a reasonable amount of time). (most sizeable facilities also have a patient advocate available, with whom you could also speak) Perhaps a family member or friend could help you in addressing this issue? I feel so badly that you're having to wait such a long time for your treatments, Karen. It must be exhausting. Hoping you can take some action and if it isn't well recieved and/or you get no response, then perhaps consider changing hospitals, if that's at all possible and let Wentworth-Douglass know why you're changing. If we're willing to accept what we know in our hearts is unacceptable overall, then we lose the opportunity to effect positive change. Health care is big business and cancer treatment is HUGE business, so there's no acceptable reason that one undergoing treatment should be left waiting for hours on end as a matter of course. While it clearly happens, it still is neither right nor acceptable.

Warm hugs and I hope a solution can be found to help make your remaining treatments less stressful.

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink
  • billswife
    billswife Member Posts: 33
    My husband and I are both patients ans we've had the best of times and the worst of times.
    He was first treated at Beth Israel in NY. His radiation and visits to the radiologist were always pretty much on time Chemo was always on time but the wait for the oncologist was sometimes long. ( he was worth it) The longest part of the whole thing was the commute from NJ.
    Now we're outside of Columbia, SC both being treated at a big Oncology facility afiliated, but not at the hospital. They see almost 650 patients a day and everything is at the same facility, doctors, radiation, chemo, scans ( except MRI). We're in and out in nothing flat and the commute is now only 40 minutes each way. After coming from the "big city" we were pleasantly surprised and are very happy with the care we're getting.
    Kathy