Possible Capsule Contracture

Options
anet
anet Member Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone! It is always so nice to be able to come here to talk to you guys. It has been about 1.5 months since my mastectomy/reconstruction. I have been told that I might have capsule contracture (scar tissue surrounding my expanders). My expanders have ended up very far apart(about 4 inches and I have a very small frame) and they are very hard. The Dr told me that he will know for sure after the next surgery. He said that if I have the condition, it does not mean that it will happen again with the implants. I have read that saline and textured implants are better to try to avoid capsule contracture. Does anybody experience or heard of this?
Hugs!
Anet

Comments

• RNHF1986
    RNHF1986 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi, Anet,

I still have my tissue expanders in from last year. Didn't have the implants (going with saline) put in yet because I had other health issues. My plastic surgeon told me that after I had the expanders expanded (I didn't get them put in until a year after the bilateral) they would start to soften up after a few months. He wanted them to rest for at least two months after the expansion before he would put the implants in. The expanders really didn't soften up significantly for about 4-5 months.

I don't know much about capsule contracture. I see the surgeon again in April after I get a check-up from the onc and a ct scan to look at my lungs. I'll know where I am in the process then.

Hope all turns out well for you. Keep us all posted.

Becky
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I have 20 year old silicone implants. It made the lumpectomy a little tricky....the tumor was backed into the capsule around the implant. It is still a little tighter, but is loosening up, 2 years later.

Hugs, Kathi