iodine allergy

jams67
jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Those of you who are allergic to iodine.
Did anyone else have any itching problems after surgery? I had no red dots, but terrible itching after surgery, and wondering if it could have been the Betadine. If anyone else has had a problem with this, let me know. I will definely keep this in mind, when or if I ever have surgery again. Maybe I'm not allergic to morphine, which they had to stop, because I couldn't stand the itching. mmmmmmmmmm
I take premeds before a scan for iodine allergy, but have never been given anything after a scan for this. Do any of you take prenisone or something like that after, for reaction to iodine?
Jo Ann

Comments

• cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    I found after surgery that I was allergic to clear sticky tape. I had tons of itching at the location and redness and puffiness. Now they only use paper tape. One time I developed spots and itching after surgery when I took the darvon compound that they gave me for pain. Now that's off limits for me and strangely enough, not given often anymore (too many people had the same or worse reaction to as I did). Call the doctor and get a list of the meds you were given. I know it is bound to be difficult, but the doctor might be able to determine which it is likely to be. It is important to find out just in case you need to have surgery again. Good luck!
  • jams67
    cabbott said:

I found after surgery that I was allergic to clear sticky tape. I had tons of itching at the location and redness and puffiness. Now they only use paper tape. One time I developed spots and itching after surgery when I took the darvon compound that they gave me for pain. Now that's off limits for me and strangely enough, not given often anymore (too many people had the same or worse reaction to as I did). Call the doctor and get a list of the meds you were given. I know it is bound to be difficult, but the doctor might be able to determine which it is likely to be. It is important to find out just in case you need to have surgery again. Good luck!

On the tape... You might find that your allergy is to the adhesive and not the tape itself. Latex as an allergy is pretty serious, but an adhesive allergy can be delt with without much trouble.
    The alternative drug that they used for morphine was not as effective for pain so I guess it would be helpful for me to find out whether I can take it or not. My surgery was 8/05 so it was quite a while ago. Strange that I'm just now thinking that it could have been the betadine.
    I decided that someone else might be able to benefit from my realization. Anyway, I guess no one has had this problem, which is a very good thing.
    Jo Ann
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    In regards to the CT Scans, I also have to be premedicated. If not, I break out in hives after the scan. Premeds are for both the idonized and non-idonized contrast. The pre-meds include takine 1-1/2 pills 3/4 times and then two Benedryl tablets 1-2 hours before the scan.

I hope this helps
  • jams67
    nudgie said:

In regards to the CT Scans, I also have to be premedicated. If not, I break out in hives after the scan. Premeds are for both the idonized and non-idonized contrast. The pre-meds include takine 1-1/2 pills 3/4 times and then two Benedryl tablets 1-2 hours before the scan.

I hope this helps

I take prenisone and benedryl before. Just wondered why we don't take the meds after the ct scan. ??? js
  • jams67
    jams67 said:

I take prenisone and benedryl before. Just wondered why we don't take the meds after the ct scan. ??? js

prednisone (sp)