headache after folfox 4 cycle

Options
Unknown
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I had severe, splitting headaches from Friday to Tuesday after getting disconnected from my chemo treatment. Was on pain medication, which helped a little. Have others had similar reactions?

Comments

• nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    I was on FLOFOX but did not have headaches. I do remember that my care team would also ask several questions before getting my treatment and one of the questions was in regards to headaches. Make sure you let your Onc Doc know the seriousness of the headaches and discribe pain on a scale like 1 being no pain and 10 being serve.

Hope this helps
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I never had any headaches from Folfox, but I have never really had a bad headache in my life.
    You probably want to mention it to your oncologist at your next visit.

Hugs,

Kay

Oh, and I love your name....angels and purple are my favorites!
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hello,

My husband is on folfox and always gets headaches from the treatments. He gets his chemo on Wednesday, takes the pump home for two days with 5FU and usually starts getting the headache sometime on Friday. It usually lasts until sometime on Monday. The doctor gave him some Tylenol with codeine which caused him an upset stomach, and he ended up feeling even worse. The best he can do is just get rest and take advil or other pain relievers that the doctor recommends. I don't think this is real common as the doctor hasn't heard of similar reactions. I guess everyone reacts differently. Take care!!!!
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Have you been able to drink enough during/after treatment? Dehydration will cause monster headaches, and if you have nausea and the foul taste, you may not be getting enough fluids. Mention it to your oncologist. They may have you come in for IV fluids if you are unable to get sufficient by mouth. Also, you don't want renal and blood pressure problems.