bone mets?

karenack
karenack Member Posts: 90
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have a question. As many of you know I have been battling severe hip pain for the last several months. At first I thought it was residual pain from the Neulasta shots but after a couple of months went by the pain persisted. My onc sent me to my ortho. He thought that I had developed bursitis in both hips as a result of the chemo. I went for a follow up yesterday and after hearing that I am not improving with cortisone and ultrasound he has ordered a bone scan to rule out mets. Needless to say I am very nervous about this. I was only dx'ed in Aug of 06, had lump, chemo, rads and ovaries removed. Does anyone know what the average lapse of time is from diagnosis to development of mets? I was thinking that it was much too soon to worry about mets....Thanks for sharing any information you might have. Karen

Comments

• LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    I am glad you are going for follow-up tests and I really really hope all the test does is say you have arthritis or something. Yay arthritis! The problem with this disease is that there really is no set time progression. Most people develop mets within 2 years of diagnosis, but it can take as long as 25 years. I have known people who have developed mets with NO primary in the breast. Others simply did not respond to the chemo and developed the mets while on chemo. There is wide variation in how this cancer spreads or does not. Don't borrow trouble before you know for sure. I will be hoping for the best outcome for you.

Hugs.

Lesley
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Twice, no, make that three times, I have been through testing for more cancer since being diagnosed with breast cancer. The first time it was a mammogram showing signs of problems in the opposite breast. They stopped the stereotactice biopsy as they were sliding the "gun" into place and told me to go home and let it grow. It was too small at the time to biopsy. We're still waiting on that one, three years later...(I cried buckets and I still think the problem is there).The ovarian cysts turned out not to be abnormal, but of course the ovaries are history. The cough that wouldn't go away last year turned out to be lung cancer but stage 1 lc, not stage 4 bc to everyone's surprise. Over the years and the battles I developed the philosophy that it is better to know where and what the beast is so you can fight it than to avoid testing and get unpleasantly surprised. When the news is good, rejoice! When it is cancer, use the information to target treatments. I am praying for you.
  • karenack
    cabbott said:

Twice, no, make that three times, I have been through testing for more cancer since being diagnosed with breast cancer. The first time it was a mammogram showing signs of problems in the opposite breast. They stopped the stereotactice biopsy as they were sliding the "gun" into place and told me to go home and let it grow. It was too small at the time to biopsy. We're still waiting on that one, three years later...(I cried buckets and I still think the problem is there).The ovarian cysts turned out not to be abnormal, but of course the ovaries are history. The cough that wouldn't go away last year turned out to be lung cancer but stage 1 lc, not stage 4 bc to everyone's surprise. Over the years and the battles I developed the philosophy that it is better to know where and what the beast is so you can fight it than to avoid testing and get unpleasantly surprised. When the news is good, rejoice! When it is cancer, use the information to target treatments. I am praying for you.

Lesley and Cabbott, Thank you so much for your input. I just started to get really anxious when my ortho mentioned it. I think the worst part will be the wait, as usual. Cabbott, I am really sorry that you developed lung cancer and I, too am really surprised that it was primary to the lung. It sounds like your prognosis is good. I know what I am dealing with is more than likely arthritis or bursitis but we all know how are minds instantly go to that dark place. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers.
  • josiemac
    josiemac Member Posts: 27
    Hi Karen, I too am facing the same dilemna. I've had a chronic pain on the right side of the back for about a month. My onc immediately ordered a bone scan which was performed yesterday. So I'm anxiously waiting for results which is killing. I was dx 2 years ago with a poor prognosis but haven't had any signs of the illness returning since surgery. I had lump, chemo, and rads. No hormonal therapy since i'm triple negative. My surgeon once said that the first 2 years are the sketchiest. After that, the risk factors begin to decline (in my case, anyway). I'm 1 month out from my 2 year dx. What a bummer!!! Wishing you the best news. Good luck,
    Josie
  • karenack
    josiemac said:

Hi Karen, I too am facing the same dilemna. I've had a chronic pain on the right side of the back for about a month. My onc immediately ordered a bone scan which was performed yesterday. So I'm anxiously waiting for results which is killing. I was dx 2 years ago with a poor prognosis but haven't had any signs of the illness returning since surgery. I had lump, chemo, and rads. No hormonal therapy since i'm triple negative. My surgeon once said that the first 2 years are the sketchiest. After that, the risk factors begin to decline (in my case, anyway). I'm 1 month out from my 2 year dx. What a bummer!!! Wishing you the best news. Good luck,
    Josie

Josie, thanks for your post. I am so hopeful that your scan will be fine. Please let me know what you learn. I will say a prayer for you! Karen
  • poobah1941
    poobah1941 Member Posts: 2
    Karen - I don't know what meds you take, but I haven't had a pain-free day in years. I am four years out and take Femara every day. Side effects are bone pain, bone pain, bone pain! Also have developed osteoarthritis. It's all been checked and re-checked and no cancer! Keep a positive outlook - I was absolutely sure the cancer was back. I really hate wasting so much time feeling scared. Good luck to you and God bless.