Nutrition and Breast Cancer

rgilliam8867
rgilliam8867 Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone! I'm still looking for testimonials on the lat-flap reconstruction (possibly having it done in June), but I'm mainly writing to wish everyone a
Happy National Nutrition Month! I'm a dietitian, and have been to a couple seminars on nutrition and Breast cancer--some of you have probably already done a lot of research in this area. There are some exciting findings out there showing a reduced risk of recurrance in breast cancer with increased exercise, and good dietary habits. One of them showed a decreased risk of recurrance in women w/ hormone negative (ER/PR-) tumors, such as my own, with a low-fat diet. They were surprised by the results, as they were expecting more of an impact for ER/PR+ cancers, but it was actually higher for the negative cancers. Also, a lot of research is pointing towards weight loss (if you're overweight), increased physical activity/exercise, and increased intake of fruits and vegetables. Even as a dietitian, I struggle w/ all of this, as I'm not too fond of a lot of veggies (strange, huh?) and I struggle w/ exercise and wt loss. I have lost 20# this past year (following the completion of my chemo last Feb), fell off the exercise bandwagon, and started up again about 3-4 weeks ago w/ little results. It's frustrating! But, I know that even if the scale doesn't move, I'm still benefitting myself by exercising. I have more energy, am boosting my immune system, and hopefully reducing my risk of recurrance. (although I'd still like to lose another 30#:) Even dietitians struggle to eat healthy and lose wt!
God Bless you all and try to eat healthy and stay active!

Rita

Comments

• cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    I think that good nutrition and exercise not only helps to reduce cancer reoccurance. It also helps us reduce heart and circulatory problems. Cancer is not the only thing that can destroy our health and just because we have cancer doesn't mean we're immune from other health problems. Keep up the good work! (And encourgage teens to eat their veggies and exercise hard. I understand that it will prevent cancer even more effectively when the good habits take place then, not that it is too late for us now.)
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Rita...thanks for the info!

I have a friend who was overweight, breast cancer survivor, who had reoccuring troubles with swelling and redness in the breast. She lost 45 pounds....all symptoms are GONE!!!!
    I have had to change my diet with the bowel resection...I pay DEARLY when I 'sin' (still do...hehehehe...just know I'll be sitting alot in the bathroom)by eating some 'no-no foods'!

Hugs, Kathi
  • LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Hi Rita -

You have touched on a pet subject of mine :-). Another dietitian and breast cancer survivor, Diana Dyer, has a book and website www.cancerrd.com which I found very helpful. Although exercise benefits us ER+ folks (average 50% relative risk reduction of recurrence) more than the neg women, I agree that it is a good thing for everyone. Research has shown that if you wear a pedometer, you are much more likely to stick to a walking program. I walk a minimum of 5 miles every day - weekly average of about 50 miles. I also eat about 15+ servings of fruit and veggies every day. (Not much else). I lost 20 pounds during chemo and have not put any on. With my normal diet and exercise program I weigh 110 pounds and am 5'6". I am very careful about what I eat, but I eat a lot of it. All the time. I also drink 4-5 cups of green tea a day. It is my coffee substitute.

I don't know anything about the reconstruction. Sorry, I can't help you there. I had a lumpectomy.

Hugs.

Lesley
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    LesleyH said:

Hi Rita -

You have touched on a pet subject of mine :-). Another dietitian and breast cancer survivor, Diana Dyer, has a book and website www.cancerrd.com which I found very helpful. Although exercise benefits us ER+ folks (average 50% relative risk reduction of recurrence) more than the neg women, I agree that it is a good thing for everyone. Research has shown that if you wear a pedometer, you are much more likely to stick to a walking program. I walk a minimum of 5 miles every day - weekly average of about 50 miles. I also eat about 15+ servings of fruit and veggies every day. (Not much else). I lost 20 pounds during chemo and have not put any on. With my normal diet and exercise program I weigh 110 pounds and am 5'6". I am very careful about what I eat, but I eat a lot of it. All the time. I also drink 4-5 cups of green tea a day. It is my coffee substitute.

I don't know anything about the reconstruction. Sorry, I can't help you there. I had a lumpectomy.

Hugs.

Lesley

Result aren't always easy to see,
    It is becoming more about tricking your body and that is something that only happens by changing the excise routine once you get comfortable with it. They are now now saying that lifting weights is a very important part of the process for health gain. Cardio can only do so much. One also has to be reminded that muscles never forget and it truly only takes 3-6 weeks for your efforts to truly have results and not always in the scale since muscle is heavier than fat.
    I too struggled with my weight after Chemo and quiting smoking and often to sick to do anything. Now I am healthier and still struggle with the weight. The more you do the less you eat and sitting through winter doesn't help me one bit though working hard. We often think that our work is exercise but because we do it all the time it truly doesn't have that much benefit in the long run. Why walking is important even if you think you do allot of it already, getting outside and walking and breathing fresh air is just as important.
    Being good to ourselves is what it is all about.
    Tara
    Happy Nutrition month.