Hi and update

cahalstead
cahalstead Member Posts: 118
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi to all.

I had my surgery on 2/15 and I know several others had their's around that date. I'm just wondering how all are doing. I'm getting stronger each day, planning on going back to work next week and praying I have the necessary strength. My surgery went well, I had a bit of an infection around the resection site but after a week of strong antibiotics all ended up okay.

What a journey this has been. I had a spinal fusion in December and this in February. But God has given me the strength and endurance needed to get through it all. I'm so looking forward to getting back into the "land of the living" again.

I was diagnosed as Stage III with one node involved. I will know this week when my app't will be for the onc. I've got the best! I'm not looking forward to chemo but praying all will be okay and successful.

Just curious how others have done since surgery, I hope well!

Char

Comments

• LindaJean
    LindaJean Member Posts: 19
    Hello Char,
    My 3 yr. anniversary was March 9th, since my colon resection in 2004, I had just turned 50. I too was stage 3 with one node positive. I had 6 mos. of chemo - 12 treatments (5FU, Oxyplatin, and leucovorin) - every other week. I didn't have any issues from surgery and returned to work approx. 4 - 6 weeks after surgery. I worked while I was on chemo although did miss some due to the treatment usually only a few hours here and there. The first 2 treatments were the most tiring and after that I decided I would not let the treatment get the best of me. I couldn't have cold drinks for about 5 - 7 days after my treatment but as soon as I could tolerate cold drinks I would have a protein smoothie every day leading up to my next treatment. All in all I tolerated the treatment fairly well. I am very thankful compared to some of the issues some on this site have encountered. Keep a good mental outlook during the treatment, consider this disease a temporary detour. Now I feel better than I have in years!
    What type treatment will you have?

Good luck with your treatment ! If you have any other questions, feel free to send me an email on this site.

Linda
  • catherine58
    catherine58 Member Posts: 92
    Hello Char

I had a right hemi-colectomy on Feb 19th (open surgery, not laparoscopic ). For four days I was wired up to an epidural, drip, catheter etc, but as soon as all the tubes came out I began to recover in leaps and bounds and was allowed home after eight days. Over the past two weeks I’ve been getting a little stronger every day, and on Saturday managed a walk of about 3/4 mile. Unfortunately I’ve been having some problems with an abscess at the top of my wound - the first course of antibiotics didn’t deal with it and today I’ve been put on a stronger sort. The pain I’ve had for the past 24 hours is actually worse than anything I had post-surgery. The surgeon may have to open me up again and drain it.

The leaflet they gave me pre-surgery said to allow 8-12 weeks for recuperation. I’ve been told not to drive for six weeks. I’m self-employed and have decided to shut my business down for the time being (unfortunately Feb-June is my busy season). I still receive maintenance from my ex-husband, which will keep the wolf from the door, but will have to tighten my belt a bit.

I’m also Stage III with three nodes involved. I’m seeing the oncologist for the first time on March 20th. We seem to be on a similar schedule, although I live in the UK and we don’t have all the drugs you have (eg Avastin is not approved). I hate the thought of pumping all that poison into my body, just as I’m getting better, but don’t think I’m brave enough to turn my back on conventional medicine.

Best wishes, Catherine
  • KierstenRx
    KierstenRx Member Posts: 249
    Hi Char,
    Had my surgery on 2/5 (6 weeks ago today!!!). Have had my ups and downs, but overall am getting stronger. I have had a couple setbacks the past couple of weeks that have been frustrating for me. I also had an incisional infection, but that is clearing up. Then I started chemo last Monday, and that didn't go as well as I had hoped. I ended up getting severe nausea and vomiting from the oxiplatinin. I finally started feeling better on Friday, and feel good today. I am going to work with my onc to see if we can find something to better control my nausea and vomiting. I was taking zofran, aloxi, and phenergan. Anyway other than that I really can't complain. Everything has kind of been a blur since I was diagnosed in September. I am just happy to be here and will continue to do whatever it takes.
    I am going to start working part time this week. Just 2-3 hours a day. I am taking work off till April 9, but slowly want to build my hours before I go back full time.
    I am so glad you are doing well. Keep me updated when you start chemo. I'm sure you will do fine. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Kiersten
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Hi Char. Glad to hear that you are feeling better every day. My husband had his first treatment last week. He is taking xeloda for 14 days inbetween the regular chemo treatment of avastin and oxalplatin. He had the tingling in toes and hands because of the oxal, and couldn't touch or drink /eat anything cold for 4 days, but no nausea (at least so far) and says he feels good now. Still not back to work . Waiting to see the outcome of next treatment. This one fortunately went well.I wish you the best. Think positive when you go for your first treatment. You'll do much better than you probably think you will. Keep us posted. God Bless.