premenopausal options

Options
shelley0914
shelley0914 Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am 34 and have been on Tamoxifen for almost a year. I did have Chemopause for about 6 months during/after treatment, but my periods have since returned. I am seeing a gynocological oncologist for ovarian cysts that are presumably being caused by the Tamoxifen. Have others had that problem and how did you solve it?

It is my understanding that aromatase inhibitors only work for POSTmenopausal women. And since, there are risks for going into permanent menopause at my age, I'd like to know what other options may be available.

I've seen posts of women having their ovaries removed. How did you arrive at that decision?

Comments

• LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Options
    Hi Shelley,

I am not in your position as I am over 10 years older than you and chemo sent me into permanent menopause. However, if it had not - I was going for ovarian ablation. As I understand it, you only have the choice between Tamoxifen and ovarian ablation with an aromatase inhibitor. You do not have to go into permanent menopause. You can request chemical menopause (a shot once a month that shuts down your ovaries). From everything I have read, young women with hormone postive breast cancer, who choose to shut down their ovaries have a significantly better survival rate. If I was in your position, I would not hesitate.

Good luck with your decision.

Hugs.

Lesley
  • newboobs
    newboobs Member Posts: 121
    Options
    I was 38 and premenopausal when dx 5 yrs ago. I am finishing up my Tamoxifen this month. I did get the Lupron shots the 1st 2 yrs after dx-- it puts you in chemical induced menopause. There's about a 97% success rate in preserving fertility with lupron. Ask your onc. Good luck!!
  • DebRoa
    DebRoa Member Posts: 31
    Options
    I have just taken the tamoxifen with out inducing chemical menopause. My bone density can't take the hit frankly. I have been on Tamoxifen for 3 yrs now. I have had ovarian cysts that have been quite painful at times.

Deb
  • Kathleenishere
    Kathleenishere Member Posts: 4
    Options
    newboobs said:

I was 38 and premenopausal when dx 5 yrs ago. I am finishing up my Tamoxifen this month. I did get the Lupron shots the 1st 2 yrs after dx-- it puts you in chemical induced menopause. There's about a 97% success rate in preserving fertility with lupron. Ask your onc. Good luck!!

Hi,
    I was just handed a prescription for Tamoxifen. I have also been advised to seek an opinion of a medical oncologist. I haven't filled the prescription yet or made an appointment. I feel frozen right now, since the surgery, bil mast., was performed on the 7th of Feb. I want reconstruction in mid- late May but as far as the meds go I am already cystic with my ovaries and now am terrified to fill the prescription.
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I had some problems with stubborn ovarian cysts after going on tamoxifen. I chose to monitor them for two years with ultrasounds every three months. After two years of that and getting to my middle forties I decided I would let the ovaries go. I'm not sorry I waited--bone problems run in my family. But the transvaginal ultrasounds were a medical test I could skip if I took out the ovaries. Now I'm on exemestane and it has a better track record than tamoxifen on preventing cancer. Of course, now I have double trouble keeping my bones strong! I guess it will always be something, but I try to judge what will keep me here and enjoying life the longest and best. When the frequent checks on my ovaries were interfering with my enjoyment of life and I knew I didn't need them anymore, it was easier to say goodbye to them (and my uterus since that can be trouble after being on tamoxifen sometimes). But if I had been in my thirties, I think I would have looked into the lupron shots. I understand that it is possible to have children after breast cancer without substantial risk. Find an oncologist that cares to see you through your journey and shares your goals. It will help immensely!