CoFactor?

Jnet
Jnet Member Posts: 14
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello, Does anybody here, heard of this CoFactor? It is clinical trial in Phase III. This is one of the options they give me to go to this trial. It is to evaluate the safety and efficacy of Cofactor and 5FU with Avastin VS. Leucovorin and 5FU with Avastin. I am stage IV with liver mtes and bone mets. So does any of you had this or heard of this? Any Info is appreciated. Thank you all.

Jeannette

Comments

• suzanne-yes
    suzanne-yes Member Posts: 24
    Hi Jeanette,

I've heard and read some good things about Co-Factor. Where are your bone mets? Have you had radiation? Considered RFA to the bone mets? Sir-Spheres for the liver? Just thoughts.....also here is some info on the Co-factor. Hope it helps, Suzanne
    CoFactor™ Plus 5-FU Provides Large Response in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer
    According to results recently presented at the 2006 Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium, the addition of CoFactor™ (ANX 510) appears to significantly enhance the activity of the chemotherapy agent 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) in the treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer.

The colon and rectum comprise the final parts of the large intestine. Colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the U.S. Metastatic colorectal cancer refers to cancer that has spread from its site of origin to distant sites in the body, often invading vital organs. Standard treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer often includes chemotherapy, targeted therapy, surgical removal of cancer (if possible), and possibly radiation therapy.

5-FU is a commonly used chemotherapy agent in the treatment of colorectal cancer; it is administered as a single agent or in combination with other therapeutic agents. The agent leucovorin is used in combination with 5-FU to enhance its anticancer activity. Researchers are now evaluating the agent referred to as CoFactor, which is still in clinical trials, to further enhance the anticancer activity of 5-FU as well as reduce side effects caused by the agent.

CoFactor is an agent that maintains a stable bond between 5-FU and its target—a bond that would typically be degraded through biological processes. This allows for enhanced cancer-killing effects. CoFactor also bypasses the chemical pathway necessary for leucovorin use, which ultimately reduces side effects caused by treatment.

Researchers conducted a study to evaluate the effects of CoFactor in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. This trial included patients who had not received prior therapy and were treated with CoFactor plus 5-FU.

Clinical benefit (decrease in cancer size or stabilization of cancer) was achieved in 85% of patients.
    35% of patients had a reduction of more than 50% of total cancer size.
    Median time to cancer progression was over 5.4 months.
    Median duration of survival has not yet been reached.
    There were no serious hematologic (blood) or gastrointestinal side effects reported.
    The researchers concluded that the addition of CoFactor to 5-FU provides impressive responses, as well as delays progression. Longer follow-up will help determine overall survival. A phase III trial (final phase of trial prior to FDA review) evaluating CoFactor has been planned, and patient enrollment will begin shortly.

Patients diagnosed with metastatic colorectal cancer who are not eligible for combination chemotherapy may wish to speak with their physician regarding their individual risks and benefits of participating in a clinical trial further evaluating CoFactor or other novel therapeutic agents. Two sources of information regarding ongoing clinical trials include the National Cancer Institute (www.cancer.gov) and www.cancerconsultants.com.

Reference: AdventRX Pharmaceuticals.ADVENTRX
  • Jnet
    Jnet Member Posts: 14

Hi Jeanette,

I've heard and read some good things about Co-Factor. Where are your bone mets? Have you had radiation? Considered RFA to the bone mets? Sir-Spheres for the liver? Just thoughts.....also here is some info on the Co-factor. Hope it helps, Suzanne
    CoFactor™ Plus 5-FU Provides Large Response in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer
    According to results recently presented at the 2006 Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium, the addition of CoFactor™ (ANX 510) appears to significantly enhance the activity of the chemotherapy agent 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) in the treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer.

The colon and rectum comprise the final parts of the large intestine. Colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the U.S. Metastatic colorectal cancer refers to cancer that has spread from its site of origin to distant sites in the body, often invading vital organs. Standard treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer often includes chemotherapy, targeted therapy, surgical removal of cancer (if possible), and possibly radiation therapy.

5-FU is a commonly used chemotherapy agent in the treatment of colorectal cancer; it is administered as a single agent or in combination with other therapeutic agents. The agent leucovorin is used in combination with 5-FU to enhance its anticancer activity. Researchers are now evaluating the agent referred to as CoFactor, which is still in clinical trials, to further enhance the anticancer activity of 5-FU as well as reduce side effects caused by the agent.

CoFactor is an agent that maintains a stable bond between 5-FU and its target—a bond that would typically be degraded through biological processes. This allows for enhanced cancer-killing effects. CoFactor also bypasses the chemical pathway necessary for leucovorin use, which ultimately reduces side effects caused by treatment.

Researchers conducted a study to evaluate the effects of CoFactor in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. This trial included patients who had not received prior therapy and were treated with CoFactor plus 5-FU.

Clinical benefit (decrease in cancer size or stabilization of cancer) was achieved in 85% of patients.
    35% of patients had a reduction of more than 50% of total cancer size.
    Median time to cancer progression was over 5.4 months.
    Median duration of survival has not yet been reached.
    There were no serious hematologic (blood) or gastrointestinal side effects reported.
    The researchers concluded that the addition of CoFactor to 5-FU provides impressive responses, as well as delays progression. Longer follow-up will help determine overall survival. A phase III trial (final phase of trial prior to FDA review) evaluating CoFactor has been planned, and patient enrollment will begin shortly.

Patients diagnosed with metastatic colorectal cancer who are not eligible for combination chemotherapy may wish to speak with their physician regarding their individual risks and benefits of participating in a clinical trial further evaluating CoFactor or other novel therapeutic agents. Two sources of information regarding ongoing clinical trials include the National Cancer Institute (www.cancer.gov) and www.cancerconsultants.com.

Reference: AdventRX Pharmaceuticals.ADVENTRX

Hi Suzanne,
    Yes, I had radiation about a year ago to my lower back because the tumor in my colon was low. I had 28 days of radiation and 6 weeeks of 5FU and leukovorin. I had a surgery to remove the tumor and cut about 12 inches of the colon last January 2006. So this year they found the liver mets and bone mets in my vertebrea L2 and T12. This is one of the options they give me is the Cofactor and 5FU with Avastin. Thanks for the info.

Jeannette