Gum problems

Options
karenack
karenack Member Posts: 90
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I finished A/C treatments in December. I have always had healthy teeth and gums and had a checkup right before I started treatment. Anyway, since then my gums are a mess. They don't bleed or anything but they seem to be loose. When I floss, some of my gums will actually pull away from my teeth! It has to be from the chemo. Anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• prayerangel
    prayerangel Member Posts: 147
    Options
    I'm sorry about your gum problems. I would type that in Google and see if any medical articles have been written about it.
    I didn't have gum problems, but I did have teeth problems. I have always had beautiful, strong teeth. Towards the end of my chemo, my teeth were drying out, and chunks of my teeth were falling out. I have read of other people having teeth problems as well. I had to have a bunch of dental work done to repair it all.
    I wish you the best of luck. Do some more research and get back to us, okay? We all learn together.
  • LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Options

I'm sorry about your gum problems. I would type that in Google and see if any medical articles have been written about it.
    I didn't have gum problems, but I did have teeth problems. I have always had beautiful, strong teeth. Towards the end of my chemo, my teeth were drying out, and chunks of my teeth were falling out. I have read of other people having teeth problems as well. I had to have a bunch of dental work done to repair it all.
    I wish you the best of luck. Do some more research and get back to us, okay? We all learn together.

I know what you mean. I was worried that I had something seriously wrong because small sores would not heal. I went to see my marvelous dentist and he prescribed an antibiotic mouth rinse. It stained my teeth and after the two weeks I had to go back and get my teeth cleaned again, but it really worked. My gums and teeth are just fine now.

Hugs.

Lesley
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    Karen,
    You might try Biotene mouthwash. You can find it at the grocery or drug store. It is for dry mouth... but seems to also solve lots of gum problems.

Take Care... God Bless...

Susan
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I just wanted you to know that dry mouth is a real side effect of treatments and allot of medications that can be hard on our teeth and gums. This dry mouth seems to be the cause of many problems we maybe having with our teeth.
    Tara
  • karenack
    karenack Member Posts: 90
    Options
    24242 said:

I just wanted you to know that dry mouth is a real side effect of treatments and allot of medications that can be hard on our teeth and gums. This dry mouth seems to be the cause of many problems we maybe having with our teeth.
    Tara

Thanks for all of your insight. I will schedule an appt. to see my dentist. I just hope that everything will get back to normal soon!
  • babs49242
    babs49242 Member Posts: 193
    Options
    karenack said:

Thanks for all of your insight. I will schedule an appt. to see my dentist. I just hope that everything will get back to normal soon!

HI Karen, I had great teetha nd gum until treatments. Afterwards my gums hurt all the time..Asked the dentist about it..there is no infection, and some gum is receeding..he gave me a floride rinse to protect my teeth more..I see him again in a couple weeks... best wishes to you.

Cindie