FUTURE HOPE???

Options
momof4
momof4 Member Posts: 56
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
The common cold virus could fight cancer
Posted: Jan 11th 2007 12:35PM by Adams Briscoe
Filed under: General Health

The Guardian is reporting on a revolutionary new way to possibly fight cancer in the future using the common cold virus of all things. By injecting the infected tissue with a cold, British researchers are hoping that this method may complement other popular ways of fighting cancer like chemotherapy.

Because cancer naturally stops a person's immune system from killing it off, a cold virus would find the cellular environment of a tumor very appealing since there is no immune response. Scientists say they would only need to inject a small amount of virus cells because they would quickly replicate and burst the tumor cells. After that it's just a matter of repetition and reproduction.

This way of combating cancer would hopefully target the secondary variety called metastases which goes on to kill 75 percent of malignant cancer patients. We've still got several years of clinical trials before this could become a new weapon. Even so, any lucky break with these stealth viruses could revolutionize how doctors fight cancer.

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Wow! Sign me up! I just got finished with my FIRST post-cancer cold!!! I was so happy to actually be WELL enough to catch something 'normal'!!!!!

Thanks for the news!

Hugs, Kathi
  • LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Options
    KathiM said:

Wow! Sign me up! I just got finished with my FIRST post-cancer cold!!! I was so happy to actually be WELL enough to catch something 'normal'!!!!!

Thanks for the news!

Hugs, Kathi

Hope you are feeling better, Kathi.

I like this idea very much.

Hugs.

Lesley