newly diganosed

Options
mlochner6
mlochner6 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just went through my second surgery for a lumpectomy and the doctor called and stated there is more cancer. I am scared as to what is going to happen to me next? anyone gone through this?

Comments

• LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Options
    Okay, one step at a time. I understand you are scared. This is scary stuff. I don't quite understand what you are asking. Can you explain? When was your first surgery? Do you mean that the surgeon did not get clear margins? If so, that is a fairly minor procedure. You just go back and have a bit more scraped off. Or do you mean the cancer has come back in the same place?

Please keep us informed and we will hold your hand through this. Together we can all help.

Warmest hugs.

Lesley
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    It took two surgeries for me with a lumpectomy to get clear margins. The second surgery actually cleaned up my scar and it looked better the second time. I hope you issue will be just as good as mine. But let us know and we will be here with you as you start moving through this process... Just remember that many others have walked your path and many of us are still here.... So I know it is scary... but it can be dealt with. Let us know how we can help.

Take Care...

God Bless.....

Susan
  • lovonna
    lovonna Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Either way, cleaning up margins or reoccurence, there still is hope. I had a mastectomy and the cancer came back and they had to cut it out a second time. Took 35 radiation treatments as a followup and am doing great.

As Lesley & Susan said, keep us posted and we will be here for you.

God Bless, LoVonna
  • helpmeob1
    helpmeob1 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Here is the first thing you need to understand about a cancer cell. It is a cell with amnesia. It's a cell that is cut of from the brain and no longer in communication with the rest of the body. Get a cluster of these together and you have Lord of the Flies at the cellular level.

There is a compound out there that brings order back to these cells and essentially makes the cell remember or even realize what is was designed to do immediately upon contact. The cell that once lacked purpose and was destructive begins to act and behave with order submitting to the body's authority.

This is wild stuff I realize. As out there as it sounds if a cancer cell does an about face and aligns itself with the same purpose of the body it lives in it immediately stops being destructive.

Cheers!

James

ireallywishihadthat (at) yahoo.com
  • mlochner6
    Options
    LesleyH said:

Okay, one step at a time. I understand you are scared. This is scary stuff. I don't quite understand what you are asking. Can you explain? When was your first surgery? Do you mean that the surgeon did not get clear margins? If so, that is a fairly minor procedure. You just go back and have a bit more scraped off. Or do you mean the cancer has come back in the same place?

Please keep us informed and we will hold your hand through this. Together we can all help.

Warmest hugs.

Lesley

I am sorry I didnt explain myself better.I had a biospy done last month, and it came back positive for DCIS. I just went through a lumpectomy on the 4th of this month and my margins were not clear. My doctor has stated to me that she doesn't feel confident that she can go back in and clean out the rest.She has already taken 30% of tissue with both surgeries. I have since been into the office to talk about other options, which would be a mastectomy on my left side, with reconstruction as well.
  • kathydaly
    kathydaly Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Hi there mlochner6,

What I want to say to you is you will be alright, but I'm not sure if I at your stage would be able to take much solice from that. It would be like, Oh yeah, easy for you to say, how do you know?

But we do, from collective experience. Also, do you feel that getting a second opinion would help? Do you like her?
    Do you trust her, feel like you can talk to her?
    These are imp. because you will be seeing a lot of her.
    In any case, from what you said, it does sound like a maestectomy may be what you end up with.
    Is that what your afraid of, or is it just hearing the word cancer. Could you say in words where the fear is centered. Maybe our help could be more specific. I had my left breast removed in 1991. I had no choice in it, and I'm still here.

Let me know about what I asked, OK?
    Prayers and huggs, Kathy
  • susabella
    susabella Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Dear mlochner6,
    Of course you're scared! We all were and sometimes still are. My cancer was also found at the DCIS stage, with some LCIS just for fun! lol. That means my cancer was likely to spread to the other breast as well. I too had a biopsy, then a lumpectomy and as the margins weren't clear and there were 2 areas of DCIS, too far apart for more tissue to be removed to insure clear margins, I needed to have a bilateral mastectomy. I also have an extensive family history and will be seeing a genetic counselor in February. My mastectomy was 11/6/06, so I am still recovering, almost there though. You don't think that you will ever have to make these decisions, in my case I am 44 years old. It was terrifying and unfair to lose my breasts this young, but now that it is over, I have tremendous piece of mind. It was caught so early that I was spared further treatment except for the possibility of having my ovaries removed if I test postitive for the breast cancer gene(s). I had immediate reconstruction, and am quite thrilled with the results. I am so relieved. My mother died of breast cancer 12 years ago, and I am so fortunate to have had early detection. Please ask questions, read everything you can get your hands on, and find doctors that you trust. The American Cancer Society, the National Cancer Institute, and the Susan G. Komen foundation are all wonderful resources. Please stay in touch, this is a wonderful safe place to vent and everyone will help!
    Hugs and prayers,
    Sue
  • highspirits
    highspirits Member Posts: 1
    Options
    mlochner6 said:

I am sorry I didnt explain myself better.I had a biospy done last month, and it came back positive for DCIS. I just went through a lumpectomy on the 4th of this month and my margins were not clear. My doctor has stated to me that she doesn't feel confident that she can go back in and clean out the rest.She has already taken 30% of tissue with both surgeries. I have since been into the office to talk about other options, which would be a mastectomy on my left side, with reconstruction as well.

i was diganosed in aug 06 went threw 8 weeks chem0 lumpectomy now they are going to do a mastectomy with reconstrution then 8 more weeks chemo 6weeks radiation then tamoxifen my husband of 20 yrs passed away 2yrs ago lung cancer it been very scary being diganosed myself i can say its not easy but stay strong and believe god is there for you would like to talk about it good luck highspirits
  • mlochner6
    Options
    I found out that I will have to have a mastectomy on my left side. I will be going into surgery on the 15th of Febuary. Has anyone gone through a single mastectomy and how was the out come? I am afraid i am going to look strange knowing that getting reconstruction will not make it look half descent? How do you overcome the fear of looking very different?