ZOMETA

FRANTIC
FRANTIC Member Posts: 106
edited March 2014 in Multiple Myeloma #1
I am currently a survivor of Stage 4 colon cancer
with 8/20 lymphnodes positive since Aug. 2003.
I have been ill since the surgery. I am 51 yrs old. Since the surgery I have had chemo, radiation
to the pelvic area, I am on fragmin injections for
blood clots and have developed a new disease called myloid dyplastic syndrome. Currently I have
just gotten out of the hopsital with severe compression fractures of the spine. I am incapacitated in a brace and had kypoplasty surgery. The biopsy did not show multiple myleoma but severe osteoporosis. My oncoligist is staring zometa on thursday to help with the fractures.
That drug has many many side effects. I was wondering if anybody is currently receiving zometa. It is used for pt's with multiple myeloma.
Your support is needed. Fran

Comments

• AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Hello,

Zometa can be used for many types of cancer and you may find many members on the CSN have had experience with it. I encourage you to do a search of the CSN website by typing "zometa" into the search bar at the top of the website. If you find someone you would like to contact to see if they would like to share their experiences, you can do so through the CSN internal email system. For more information on this CSN feature, click on the help link at the top of the page.

Take care and be well,

Dana
    CSN Dana
  • vj50
    vj50 Member Posts: 10
    I had extensive bone damage from Myeloma, especially in my spine (compression fractures have left me bent over and 5 inches shorter). I have been on Zometa for 3 years (and a similar drug, Aredia for 2 years before that). I have had no problems at all with it and it has stopped all bone damage. Some people when they first start on it have flu-like symptoms for a day or so (i did not). The most serious problem is the possibility of getting osteocronsis of the jaw, which can be very serious, but happens in a very small minority of people. The only thing they suggest is that you don't have any teeth pulled because that may trigger it. so if you need any invasive dental work it is better to get it done before you start taking it (cavities, crowns and even root canals are ok) For me it is worth the risk.
  • carguy
    carguy Member Posts: 2
    I have myeloma and have been taking Zometa once a month for about 5 months. I initially delayed taking it because of concerns. I have not experienced any side effects that I could relate to Zometa. I wish you similar success.